MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please help me with this Math question. ruby101 Academics 7 10-07-2010 03:04 AM
MATH 1ZA3 lab 0 question cmhtbx Academics 8 09-13-2010 09:15 PM
Question about Math 1AA3 Jenn Academics 6 08-29-2010 09:38 PM
Math 1ZA3 Question - Core/Tutorial Selection Theashe First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 07-22-2010 12:18 PM
question about math 1a03 jann_1818 Academics 8 09-11-2008 10:04 PM

Math Question(s).

Old 10-13-2009 at 06:25 PM   #16
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

I think I understand.

Think.

Kay. Thanks everyone. ;D

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 10-17-2009 at 12:26 AM   #17
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Kay, this is gonna be my "help me with all my math questions" 'cause I have a midterm tomorrow. So, yea. Hi Mowicz. Lolol.
Aww, missed my chance to make a grand entrance. ):

If anyone is still confused about the concept of a limit vs. continuity, I made a webpage with some pretty () pictures that can hopefully explain it relatively nicely:

http://www.math.mcmaster.ca/~parchimp/module1.html

(Unfortunately I've had to halt progress on the webpage because I've been too swamped, but luckily continuity is finished)
Old 10-17-2009 at 08:15 AM   #18
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
Second Year
Honours Commerce & Minor in Math

>having trouble with a simple question which is taught in gr. 12 calc
I wonder why I keep on hearing that Commerce students aren't very bright here at Mac

Last edited by FireDragoonX : 10-17-2009 at 08:18 AM.

rrtt likes this.
Old 10-17-2009 at 08:34 AM   #19
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
I wonder why I keep on hearing that Commerce students aren't very bright here at Mac
Okay then, so apparently people aren't allowed to have questions. I haven't done math in about 2 years, I didn't remember something. Get off the high horse. Or take a long walk off a short pier.

Old 10-17-2009 at 01:47 PM   #20
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
Okay then, so apparently people aren't allowed to have questions. I haven't done math in about 2 years, I didn't remember something. Get off the high horse. Or take a long walk off a short pier.
Don't worry about it, there's no such thing as a dumb question...if you have a problem with anything math related, PM me (I'll get a notification by email and come respond, hopefully within a day...it's how people generally contact me on here for math help, and it's confidential).
Old 10-17-2009 at 04:51 PM   #21
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
I think s/he was just making a joke.....
Old 10-17-2009 at 05:37 PM   #22
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtt View Post
I think s/he was just making a joke.....
Wasn't funny. ._.

Comments like those are exactly the reason why people are afraid to ask questions.

And when I'm asking a genuine question because I don't understand something, yea, I get annoyed if someone pokes fun at me, even if it's a "joke."

I figured I wouldn't waste people's time at the Math Help Centre with such a simple question and instead post it on a forum where people CHOOSE to click on this thread and CHOOSE to help.

Apparently I should have just wasted someone's time at the MHC.

Last edited by lawleypop : 10-17-2009 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-17-2009 at 05:40 PM   #23
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Wasn't funny. ._.
That's subjective.

EDIT: you added to your post so I am editing my comment . You shouldn’t let people stop you from asking questions. Funny or silly comments definitely should not stop you. You shouldn’t take yourself so seriously. If you can’t take it, don’t dish it out.

Last edited by rrtt : 10-17-2009 at 11:30 PM. Reason: change in lawleypop's post
Old 10-17-2009 at 06:08 PM   #24
Mowicz
Elite Member

Quote:
I figured I wouldn't waste people's time at the Math Help Centre with such a simple question and instead post it on a forum where people CHOOSE to click on this thread and CHOOSE to help.

Apparently I should have just wasted someone's time at the MHC.
The MHC is designed for people with questions like yours by the by...the Department of Math and Stats pays TAs good money to sit in the clinic all day, and although it is rather busy in there, your question(s) won't 'add to the mayhem' in any considerable way.

I know it feels like you 'shouldn't be a bother' (I always felt the same way) but the MHC really is a service for people just like you. Take full advantage. (:

The TAs in there are quite helpful, but if you still feel like you shouldn't disrupt someone, my office is directly across the hall from the MHC...feel free to drop by, I love taking time out to help (as in, I am specifically giving you the go-ahead to come hound me for answers ).
Old 10-17-2009 at 06:16 PM   #25
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

I didn't mean you couldn't ask questions.

And I think you should heed Mowicz' advice. Instead of asking an internet discussion board you should ask people in the math health center.

You should've wasted someone's time at the MHC. That's what they're there for, to help you.

Instead you think asking an internet forum where you get replies involving "holes" and people who aren't prepared to answer math problems.

tl;dr macinsiders isn't always the best place to ask questions.
Old 10-17-2009 at 06:20 PM   #26
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
I didn't mean you couldn't ask questions.

And I think you should heed Mowicz' advice. Instead of asking an internet discussion board you should ask people in the math health center.

You should've wasted someone's time at the MHC. That's what they're there for, to help you.

Instead you think asking an internet forum where you get replies involving "holes" and people who aren't prepared to answer math problems.

tl;dr macinsiders isn't always the best place to ask questions.
This isn't 4chan.

I'd think out of all the people who are in math, engineer, or have taken gr12 calc, someone would be "prepared" to help. And low and behold, people were. Instead of walking over to the MHC from off campus and it was one question, I figured why not ask on a forum where people should be mature? If you can't, don't, aren't prepared to answer my question, don't. Simple.

"tl;dr macinsiders isn't always the best place to ask questions"

Over half the threads are questions, debates, discuss something other than britney spears.

Old 10-17-2009 at 09:31 PM   #27
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Just wanted to say great work on the site Mowicz! Maybe you can put up a module on Differential Equations and how to solve em haha. jk.