MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comp Sci 1TA3 macman Academics 8 11-25-2014 09:15 PM
Comp Sci 1TA3 jasonfung 1st Year Course Reviews 6 09-03-2012 08:55 PM
COMP SCI 1TA3 vs COMP SCI 1MA3 ShockValue Academics 0 06-08-2012 08:08 PM
Are podcasts available in Comp Sci 1TA3? samir2 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 10-30-2010 05:03 PM
Comp Sci 1ta3?? ishk33 Academics 3 08-15-2008 08:45 PM

Matls 1M03 vs Comp Sci 1TA3

Old 12-28-2014 at 10:55 PM   #1
Woodplank
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Matls 1M03 vs Comp Sci 1TA3
I have Comp Sci 1TA3 with Nakamura, and I've heard it's really hard to do well in his class. I also don't know much about computer science in general. If I find Physics/Chemistry easy to get 12's in, should I just switch to Materials 1M03?
Old 12-29-2014 at 02:37 PM   #2
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

Physics and Chem won't help too much with doing well in 1M03, google the course content/outline for more info
Old 12-29-2014 at 04:02 PM   #3
Woodplank
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptation View Post
Physics and Chem won't help too much with doing well in 1M03, google the course content/outline for more info
I'm not concerned if the content is different from physics and chemistry, I'd just like to know if it's another math heavy - problem solving type of course.
Old 12-29-2014 at 04:37 PM   #4
adaptation
Elite Member

Not too math heavy, its been a while since i took it but i remember doing Ficks first and second laws... probably not solving ficks second law, but i'm sure ficks first was fair game. So first year calc knowledge was probably applicable for partial derivatives and integrals. Stress and strain calculations were big too. You do get a formula sheet though since there are a million and one little formulas for very specific cases.

I dont know how much its changed since i took it, but most people don't do too well in 1M03. At least for my year and the year after, the exam average was just under 50%.

Its a very "example" heavy, either you know how to solve that type of problem because you've done it before, or you dont.

What program are you in? Its mandatory for engineering.
Old 12-29-2014 at 04:43 PM   #5
Woodplank
Account Disabled by User

I'm in Physical Science 1. In my first semester I got 12's in Physics 1C03, Chem 1A03, Math 1A03, and Astronomy 1F03. I got a 10 in Enviro Sci 1G03 (dull memorizing course). My 2nd semester has Physics 1CC3, Chem 1AA3, Math 1AA3, Math 1B03 and 1 more course I need to decide on (if Math 1C03 didn't conflict with physics then my 2nd semester would be perfect).

Edit: Do you think I could take Stats 2B03 even though I don't meet the pre-requisites (I didn't take Stats 1L03 nor Grade 12 Data Management, and I'm also not in level 2 science).

I could also take Econ 1B03 or Psych 1F03 (an online course).

Last edited by Woodplank : 12-29-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-29-2014 at 09:20 PM   #6
adaptation
Elite Member

They typically do not allow first years to waive pre-reqs.

Also there is a fairly heavy knowledge component of 1M03 as well - much of what you are tested in in 1M03 will be dull and will require memorizing (which is why i did not do too well), and i'm telling you that as someone majoring in materials science and engineering. The course is basically an incredibly incredibly broad overview and introduction to all of materials science.

Anyways, thats my two cents, as i was saying before look up course outlines and content for a better understanding. You'll quickly learn as you finish each consecutive year that that is the very good way to see if you'll like the course or not, other students opinions only go so far.

Honestly though, it seems to me you're looking for a challenge. Don't limit your growth by avoiding to take a programming course because the prof "marks hard". Programming is invaluable, you need to learn it one way or another. Especially if you want to touch any real physics or math.
Old 12-30-2014 at 11:14 PM   #7
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

"Organization of microcomputers (hardware and operating systems) and overview of computer communications; introduction to information exchange using word processing/ presentation software, the Internet and Web pages; problem solving using electronic spreadsheets and database applications."
http://academiccalendars.rom cmaste...7&coid=354 57

1TA3 isn't really a programming course. From that description it isn't even an intro to the field of computer science. It's just "computers 101".

EDIT: http://www.cas.mcmaster.ca/CGI-BINs/nak/outline?cs1ta3

"This course is intended to introduce students to the fundamentals
of computing. No previous computing experience is required, BUT
students are advised that this course will require student complete
tasks using several computer applications."

"Here are some of the topics to be covered:

Computer System Storage Devices Spreadsheets
Data CPU Database
Input/Output Devices Processing Speed Web
Ports and Expansion Slots Operating Systems Internet
Memory Word Processing Networks"

"

REQUIRED TEXTS and MATERIALS:
Lecture Slides
Website references and documents (Avenue to Learn)
LibreOffice Software version 4.1.x and above

Optional text and materials

Any Spreadsheet, Database, or XHTML book
USB flash drive"

So this pretty much sounds like Grade 10 Intro to Programming, except possibly without actually having to write programs.
Old 12-30-2014 at 11:57 PM   #8
Woodplank
Account Disabled by User

This is an example of a 1TA3 exam:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxW6... YXRXdFk/edit

Anyways, I've decided to enroll in Med Physics 1E03 as a placeholder. I'm hoping to get a spot in Econ 1B03.
Old 12-31-2014 at 12:04 AM   #9
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Yea, that exam is pretty much all stuff from Grade 10 or 11 intro to programming, just with a bit more depth (eg spreadsheet equations). A very large portion of it is just recognizing terminology and answering the question takes no work, you just have to know what it's asking - and it's very simple. There's just a fairly large amount of it.