MacInsiders Logo
Old 06-18-2008 at 10:30 AM   #1
summer

Liked: 1 Time

Alright, so my name is Mavis Vaz. Although I did my first year at UBC in Film and Video, and am now a Mac Alumni. I convocated (yes, it is now officially a word…) with a B. Sc in Biology (Honours)…

Being in Science, I considered Med School for a while but I’ve lost my interest in the pursuit in the last couple years. Instead, I have considered going into Nursing, in the Public Health sector. Also, I’ve done a lot of international volunteering in the last few years, which has sparked my interest in social justice issues and international development. During my ‘extra’ year at Mac next year, I am picking up a few Poli Sci courses in this subject area and I am also planning on applying for a CIDA (Canadian International Development Agency) Internship. My only ‘real’ future goals for now include a)working with people and b) doing something I am passionate about.

As I’ve already alluded to, I am travel obsessed… I figure now is the time to indulge my travel fantasies, while I have the time. I also love to read and I am on a non-fiction binge right now. I am currently in the middle of Barack Obama’s ‘The Audacity of Hope’. If you are at all interested in his politics, it’s a great read. If you’re not, you may find it too idealistic. Holy tangeant…anyway… I don’t have an immense time for TV anymore, but I am a frequent d/l-er of The Office, Grey’s Anatomy and Lost. I have the music tastes of a 14-year-old girl and 60-year-old man mixed together (you figure it out).

Yes, I skipped the ‘dream job’ part, but that’s because it is VERY intimately tied to one of my biggest passions…FOOD! Love eating it, making it, reading about it. I am not exaggerating in the slightest. If you have known me for longer than two minutes, this will be infinitely clear… In the subcategory of food would be a downright obsession with cheese. Which leads me to my dream job… I went to a cheese tasting once and met the head taster of the Cheese Education Guild. If a hostile coup would have gotten me her job, I would have started planning one then and there.

Having worked at the MSU for a couple years now, I have gotten to see how hard Chad works at making Macinsiders the phenomenon it has become. After its incredible coverage of the MSU elections earlier this year, I knew I wanted to be a part of it. I love to write and miss it and am excited to have the opportunity to write about things I love. I hope I bring a unique perspective for new AND returning students. I would love to write about things like international volunteering, environmentally friendly living, FOOD etc.

WOW this is long...ok, I've said enough...