MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MCAT/ Interview science4ever Academics 12 05-11-2011 01:37 PM
MCAT prep course hamnahx02 Academics 5 12-09-2010 11:33 AM
Mcat? Al-mansi General Discussion 6 10-16-2009 04:12 PM
MCAT physics maryam17 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-27-2009 08:25 PM

Mcat 2013???

Old 05-21-2012 at 05:21 PM   #16
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
I think the writing sample is a needless obstacle. The ability to write isn't really measured by the writing sample - as someone said earlier it just measures the ability to follow instructions and think of real world examples. Not that those aren't important, but I think overall you could have more relevant sections to use as criteria for determining medical school candidates.

If you're talking about the importance of being able to understand and excel in critical thinking in terms of written communication then I would say that's the purpose of verbal. And I think it's fair to say anyone who can do extremely well on verbal would be able to write acceptably (maybe not amazingly but still, not too badly).
I disagree. Comprehension and composition are completely different skills. I have met a number of individuals over the years who could comprehend fairly complex texts but at the same time could not write. I fully admit that until I spent countless hours translating latin, in this way learning the way in which our English language is constructed, my writing was appalling. Yet at the same time I was more than able to read and discuss works at a much higher level than I could write. I am not saying our doctors need to be a professional essayist, but a very large component of their job is to write. Some of the writing I have seen is quite literally incomprehensible.

While I agree that the writing sample, as currently structured, does not (nor is it meant to) test the ability to write, I would argue that this skill should be tested. Why not ask the test taker to provide a summary of a short article? I would agree that the verbal reasoning section is there to test critical thinking, however, the ability to communicate one's thoughts entails more than selecting choice C.
Old 05-21-2012 at 06:11 PM   #17
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
I disagree. Comprehension and composition are completely different skills. I have met a number of individuals over the years who could comprehend fairly complex texts but at the same time could not write. I fully admit that until I spent countless hours translating latin, in this way learning the way in which our English language is constructed, my writing was appalling. Yet at the same time I was more than able to read and discuss works at a much higher level than I could write. I am not saying our doctors need to be a professional essayist, but a very large component of their job is to write. Some of the writing I have seen is quite literally incomprehensible.

While I agree that the writing sample, as currently structured, does not (nor is it meant to) test the ability to write, I would argue that this skill should be tested. Why not ask the test taker to provide a summary of a short article? I would agree that the verbal reasoning section is there to test critical thinking, however, the ability to communicate one's thoughts entails more than selecting choice C.
I guess it's fair to say that they don't really test writing. But at the same time - how much can you reasonably expect from someone entering medical school?

Someone mentioned they need to be tested on their ability to use math, now you're saying their ability to write.

We already have to test their ability to critically think/reason on the MCAT, their ability to learn the sciences for the MCAT. Their ability to regurgitate information by looking at their GPA. Their ability to manage all of this while doing extra-curriculars. They must convey a bunch of characteristics like empathy compassion intelligence blah blah blah through their EC's and through an interview.
Mac requires CASPer, U of T requires an essay, which also kind of test their ability to communicate (though not in the same way you were discussing).

Out of all of those things, I would put more trust that someone can succeed in medical school and eventually become a good physician based on their current MCAT score (minus writing), or their interview success in an MMI, rather than someone who was good at math + able to write well.

In other words, assuming we can't test pre-meds on every possible thing, I think math and writing are less important than what is currently being tested already. You could make the argument for addition of writing and math skills, but again - how much do you reasonably expect to test from some 20 year old kid?