Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Help Help! Switching Sections! snair Academics 1 08-16-2010 10:40 PM
Mcat? Al-mansi General Discussion 6 10-16-2009 04:12 PM
Student Achievement Series Online Alvand Academics 2 07-13-2008 02:08 AM

MCAT Online Student-Run Website for Verbal and Writing Sections

MCAT Online Student-Run Website for Verbal and Writing Sections

BY AJ KADHIM, MACINSIDERS CONTRIBUTOR

If you are writing the MCAT this summer, you'LL have realized that the verbal section is one of the hardest challenges. This is simply because most of us spend a lot of time reading scientific papers that are very structured and are meant to be straight-forward. MCAT passages, in contrast, are highly sophisticated and can be very tricky. As a result, it is recommended that one reads magazines, such as the Economist and Time. Unfortunately, it is really hard to gauge how much you can improve because there are no questions written at the end of these passages.

On a similar note, it is also hard to gauge your preparation for the Writing Sample section. Actually, I realized that many of my friends did very well on BS and PS, but not so good on the writing sample. This was mainly because they left writing preparation till the last week or so and they lacked instant feedback on the examples they provide. Developing a bank of concrete examples early on is vital, according to my TPR instructor.

As a result, I organized a website forum that can be very helpful. My hope is to build an online community to share concrete examples, discuss hard verbal passages and exchange feedback.

Your role in this forum will be vital to its success. You can help in exchanging feedback on the examples used and whether a certain dichotomy can be applied. You can also share your thoughts on whether the main point of the passage is "this" or "that". You can discuss what the tone of the author is, what the overall structure of the passage is, etc etc.

Currently, I limited the tasks to only one passage/day and 10 AAMC prompts/week. Now here are some details:

1) The website is the following: http://www.mcatverbalandwrit ing.com/

2) Everything is FREE (I just wanted to say that to avoid confusion). This is a forum by students to students. Moreover, I have talked to my TPR instructor and he agreed to provide his feedback and professional advice. This is really an amazing opportunity and I wish I had a chance like that last year.

3) Simply register by providing a username and password. An email will be sent immediately to your email address. Click on the link to activate your account.

That is all for now

Hope this forum will relieve some of your stress over verbal and writing sections!

daisy, lorend, Zeehan all say thanks to kadhia for this post.
Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 05-13-2009 at 06:45 PM   #2
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Communication Studies & Multimedia
Year: Alumni

Liked: 1,731 Times
Best of luck! Forums are a great way to collaborate and help each other!
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 05-13-2009 at 06:53 PM   #3
kadhia
Faculty: Health Sciences
Year: Third

Liked: 0 Times
thank you, Chad.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 07-23-2009 at 06:50 PM   #4
olivem8
Program: Medical Physics & Applied Radiation Sciences
Year: Third