MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
@muss.cis.mcmaster.ca vs @mcmaster.ca KMoney First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-13-2010 06:04 PM

This is McMaster

Old 01-10-2011 at 09:13 PM   #1
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Liked: 645 Times

This is McMaster
Too much of the following:
  • Rage
  • Horrible administration
  • Horrible technical teams
  • Horrible anything student related
  • Professors that are seemingly getting worse and worse at their jobs
  • Strikes each year, all of which could be/should have been more easily avoided
  • Workers not being treated properly
  • Students suffering because of all of the aforementioned
  • Administration in general completely and more than adequately filling the stereotype of being lazy, useless, over-paid bureaucratic idiots, spending school funding on stupid shit while in the meantime being on average REALLY BAD AT THEIR JOBS
  • Commons being turned into Centro when quite frankly it was fine before (could have used a coat of paint and some new chairs instead of all the freaking glitz and glamour)
  • Extra buildings being erected; so the university can hire more grad students to be slaves and work in them to boost the school's cred (we have Mick Bhatia! OH SNAP!)?
  • Rightfully dwindling student morale
  • Rightfully dwindling school reputation
  • Presidents that have white beards and that should have retired WITHOUT dipping their hand into the cookie jar... for years.
I don't want this to sound like some kind of whiney cry-fest, nor do I intend on sounding arrogant, and sincerely hope I am not completely ignorant to most of these matters; but I am seriously, SERIOUSLY considering transferring.

Last edited by Kendoon : 01-10-2011 at 09:54 PM.

collymolotov says thanks to Kendoon for this post.

Old 01-10-2011 at 09:16 PM   #2
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 814 Times

first.
12vaginas

Afzal, mohammyt like this.
Old 01-10-2011 at 09:18 PM   #3
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Extra buildings being erected; so the university can hire more grad students to be slaves and work in them to boost the school's cred (we have Mick Bhatia! OH SNAP!)?
Extra buildings = not a bad thing I'd say. Everything else I agree with.
Old 01-10-2011 at 09:23 PM   #4
Krusenik
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

We knew this when we chose to come here =(. At least MacInsiders was created? distractions from reality!

Rakim likes this.
Old 01-10-2011 at 09:24 PM   #5
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

That about sums it up.

I can't really agree with the Profs thing entirely as I've had a lot of good Profs.

As far as the extra buildings are concerned it would just be nice if they weren't only building new structures that cater to Eng students only or what have you. I'm not saying they shouldn't but be building these ones, as I'm sure Engineering needs more space and resources as every faculty could probably benefit from this. Just saying another general purpose building with study space, computers etc for all students would be nice. MUSC is way too busy and there are not nearly enough computers for student use on campus.

resh.jyoti likes this.
Old 01-10-2011 at 09:25 PM   #6
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusenik View Post
We knew this when we chose to come here =(. At least MacInsiders was created? distractions from reality!
I was not informed. Colour me naive but my first year was pretty good, everything I listed seemed to fall in place adequately and without the negative connotation. From then on, steady - and I mean STEADY - decline.

Alchemist11, resh.jyoti like this.
Old 01-10-2011 at 09:27 PM   #7
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Are other schools like this?

Maybe McMaster's problems are more evident to us because we go here?

Anyone have friends at other universities that have been complaining about something or other like strikes/administration/professors/IT in the last year or so?
Old 01-10-2011 at 09:27 PM   #8
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoon View Post
I was not informed. Colour me naive but my first year was pretty good, everything I listed seemed to fall in place adequately and without the negative connotation. From then on, steady - and I mean STEADY - decline.
Maybe you should be in the math program. We either don't have or don't care about most of those problems...except the striking workers. Damnit.

Eternal Fire likes this.
Old 01-10-2011 at 09:28 PM   #9
PHLN2

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusenik View Post
We knew this when we chose to come here =(.
We did?

I didn't...

I even did that campus tour thing to get more info! (But then the tour guide was so cute... )
Old 01-10-2011 at 09:28 PM   #10
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Are other schools like this?

Maybe McMaster's problems are more evident to us because we go here?

Anyone have friends at other universities that have been complaining about something or other like strikes/administration/professors/IT in the last year or so?
I've been looking and asking...

Nothing substantial.

Old 01-10-2011 at 09:28 PM   #11
Rakim
Account Locked

Math profs are the worst. Seriously.

Cliu91, xxsumz like this.
Old 01-10-2011 at 09:29 PM   #12
Kendoon
Sometimes helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Maybe you should be in the math program. We either don't have or don't care about most of those problems...except the striking workers. Damnit.
I didn't PHInd out about all these issues until recently, AM I RIGHT!?

britb, Mahratta like this.
Old 01-10-2011 at 09:31 PM   #13
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahratta View Post
Interesting, because math professors have been the worst profs I've ever had.

Old 01-10-2011 at 09:31 PM   #14
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

yeah, apparently math profs for eng are terrible. The majority of them are probably just upset they were assigned to science/eng courses & do a terrible job, haha. For example, Kovarik - he's apparently awful for engineering math (2Z/2ZZ), but good for the (proper) math courses he teaches (eg. 3G03).

It may also be the material - I mean, there probably isn't a way to make math applied to science / engineering particularly interesting. The students are concerned about methods & marks, so there isn't much more than the "now, plug this in" drawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakim View Post
Math profs are the worst. Seriously.
Depends. If it's for science/eng, then yes, yes they are

Last edited by Mahratta : 01-10-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-10-2011 at 09:32 PM   #15
Rakim
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Interesting, because math professors have been the worst profs I've ever had.
ryan, i just said that.

lets hug.