MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mac's Fall Break starts Thursday! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 10-31-2013 10:19 PM
Mac's Fall Break set for October 31 - November 2 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 10 10-25-2013 02:41 PM
Senate Approves Two Day Fall Break for 2013 cjdzl General Discussion 8 02-13-2013 10:58 PM
When does winter break end and when does Frost week start? Vessi General Discussion 2 11-23-2012 07:23 PM
Short Christmas break. Can't McMaster do better? oakster15 General Discussion 145 12-16-2009 09:54 PM

McMaster Approves Full Fall Week Break!

Old 01-15-2015 at 06:09 PM   #1
bradyr

Liked: 10 Times

McMaster Approves Full Fall Week Break!
Great news: Senate has spoken: Next year's fall break will be a full week!

McMaster's Senate has approved a full week fall break period, to begin in the 2015-2016 academic year.

See more at: http://dailynews.mcmaster.ca /artic....khKumSzO.dpuf
Old 01-15-2015 at 06:27 PM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times

Yeah, but now it they won't cancel classes if it's -50 outside, just so our studies don't get delayed even more.
Old 01-15-2015 at 10:41 PM   #3
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

I honestly think this isn't as great of an idea as we might think. Between combining it with thanksgiving, starting welcome week early and eliminating that day between the last day of classes and exams, there really isn't much of an advantage in my opinion. But oh well, I won't be here to experience it!

Last edited by ~*Sara*~ : 01-15-2015 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-15-2015 at 10:53 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
I honestly think this isn't as great of an idea as we might think. Between combining it with thanksgiving, starting welcome week early and eliminating that day between the last day of classes and exams, there really isn't much of an advantage in my opinion. But oh well, I won't be here to experience it!
I don't see how starting welcome week early makes too much of a difference, but many schools don't have a break between the last day of classes and the beginning of exams and also don't have a fall reading week, so I think Mac definitely comes out ahead in that respect.
Combining it with Thanksgiving makes more sense than keeping it around Halloween. It's closer to the beginning of midterms, it makes things more convenient for students who live far away, and it gives students a full week off without having to actually eliminate three days of school.
Old 01-15-2015 at 10:54 PM   #5
adaptation
Elite Member

Liked: 305 Times

By welcome week/res move in being pushed earlier, does that mean classes start earlier as well or just frosh week activities?