MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
@muss.cis.mcmaster.ca vs @mcmaster.ca KMoney First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-13-2010 06:04 PM

McMaster Budget/Expenditues etc

Old 04-12-2009 at 09:17 PM   #1
Jessicaaaa

Liked: 42 Times

McMaster Budget/Expenditues etc
Hi, i was just wondering if there was anywhere that i would be able to see how much mcmaster university spends on things like prospectuses, hiring guides for future student tours etc.
or anything similar to this...
thanks!
Old 04-12-2009 at 10:47 PM   #2
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

What's a / What are
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicaaaa View Post
prospectuses
In terms of the financial information, you'd probably have to do a search of the McMaster domain though I'm not sure if it is posted anywhere.

You're looking for department budgets and things like that, information which I doubt is made readily available without an FoI request.
Old 04-13-2009 at 12:54 AM   #3
AndrewC

Liked: 0 Times

3 things you can do...

1) Look at the McMaster University Annual Financial Report (just type that into google). The Audits are done by KPMG and have a lot of detailed information, here is the link for 2008.

http://www.mcmaster.ca/bms/pdf/mac-2008fs.pdf

2) You can search for the budget online. Unfortunately I don't have it on me now but I remember downloading it, I will search and see if I can find it for you but I would suggest yourself just surfing online looking for it, the information is all public.

3) Send an email or go in and ask. Because McMaster is a public institution they have to make all relevant financial information public, if they don't post it, they have to provide it.

Hope that helps and I will see if I can find you last year's budget
McMaster University
Old 04-13-2009 at 01:22 AM   #4
Jessicaaaa

hey thanks so much for all your help, i think ive got what im looking for!!!
Old 04-13-2009 at 01:27 AM   #5
AndrewC

Liked: 0 Times

if you don't mind me asking, why the interest?
McMaster University
Old 04-13-2009 at 10:14 AM   #6
Jessicaaaa

part of an exam i have tm is an essay question and it asks why indiana jones is not on the cover of university prospectuses for anthro/archaeo departments.
i wanted to know how much a university might spend on 'advertisement' for recruitment of future students
Old 04-13-2009 at 12:30 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

One reason is because Anthropology and Archeology aren't very often the same as depicted in the Indiana Jones films. They're very VERY different.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-13-2009 at 12:31 PM   #8
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

You mean you don't get to fight Nazis on a daily basis?
Old 04-13-2009 at 01:20 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Not so much, unfortunately.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-13-2009 at 01:30 PM   #10
Jessicaaaa

ahah ya, the course it was for is anthro 2PC3, archaeology and pop culture.
it was really intersting, there was a lot of attention on indiana jones, lara croft etc. movies that (mis) portray archaeology.
so i guess if someone is into that kind of stuff it would be a good course to take
Old 04-13-2009 at 04:39 PM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I had a feeling it was for that class.

I wish it had been around in previous years...*sigh*