MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Wins The Vanier Cup - First In McMaster History Chad MacInsiders Announcements 10 11-26-2011 02:34 AM
@muss.cis.mcmaster.ca vs @mcmaster.ca KMoney First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-13-2010 06:04 PM

McMaster Complaints

Old 09-10-2012 at 02:10 PM   #1
daniasa

Liked: 0 Times

McMaster Complaints
I'm a third student at McMaster and have yet again been disappointed by the school I pay thousands of dollars in tuition to, every year.

The academic advisors have been heavily pushing the Mohawk/McMaster business certificate to students yet that same office of advisors claims that all courses necessary to achieve the certificate are full and more classes will not be supplied to meet the high demand of students hoping to enrol.
French 1Z06 is a course that's been offered every year since I've been here, and I imagine many years before that, yet, this is another class with a huge waiting list of students who will not get in. The department of Humanities admitted to being aware of the "popularity of French 1Z06" yet the department/university have not bothered to hire another professor and expand the seats for this class - though it has existed for years.

Does anyone know where I can officially file a complaint?
Old 09-10-2012 at 02:12 PM   #2
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

Uh second floor theres an office where students can file complaints but afaik it was for fairness.
Old 09-10-2012 at 02:27 PM   #3
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

I'm a third student at McMaster

Where are the first two?

Ba-Dum Tssshhh

The academic advisors have been heavily pushing the Mohawk/McMaster business certificate to students

1st) First time I hear of it.
2nd) If true - cash cow says "mmmooooooo"
3rd) I had no idea academic advisers were supposed to guide us thru life, making all our decisions for us. You sighed up yourself.

The department of Humanities admitted to being aware of the "popularity of French 1Z06" yet the department/university have not bothered to hire another professor and expand the seats for this class - though it has existed for years.

The popularity of something is not a major factor that cast cause major investments. Why? Well...

- popularity is not constant, this year its this class, the next year it will be another. No need to hire a new prof, just so you could fire him the year it stops being popular.
- the university decides to put money into something that will most likely return the investment, like eng projects, scientific research etc. I am sorry but first year french class that most students use to bump their marks up, then bailing on the subject is not one of them.

What I've written here shouldn't change your mind, but it is food for thoughts in situations like this one.

Old 09-10-2012 at 07:43 PM   #4
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

I find getting into classes to be more about personal effort than anything else...

I almost never have luck with SOLAR on course selection night... in fact this past year, Cogeco cut out at 12:07 and didn't come back on til 5 am. I got locked out of almost everything I wanted including 2 of the Mohawk-McMaster business courses. With persistence (ie, checking SOLAR whenever I sit down at my computer), I got into EVERY class I wanted (both semesters) WITHOUT waivers INCLUDING the core I wanted with a certain prof.

I have never been locked out of any class I needed and have only required a waiver once. It sucks when you can't things locked in right away but there's usually a way around that.
Old 09-10-2012 at 07:47 PM   #5
andrewjdg

Liked: 30 Times

Did you e-mail the french prof (gallier-morgan) and ask her if you could get a seat? The course was full when I took it, and I sent her a quick e-mail and she put me into the class. Easy course btw.
Old 09-10-2012 at 10:49 PM   #6
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

if you really want to take the course there are many ways to take it
1) summer course (can go to a different university if you need to)
2) online course if you cant/wont travel
3) talk to the people running the course, they can actually do something

if you just want an easy mark booster, of course you will get less priority compared to other people

and if you want to file a complaint, I guess you could talk the university president in GH or something

good luck, stop whining and just enjoy university, I doubt first year french will affect your life very much
Old 09-11-2012 at 08:10 AM   #7
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Like Kudos said, getting into a course is more personal effort than anything else. Aside from checking SOLAR, you have to email the right people and give them adequate reason as to why you need to get into the course. I've gotten into every course I've wanted since first year, even the ones that have been full.
Old 09-11-2012 at 09:27 AM   #8
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

With the increasing economical constraints that many universities are facing, the goal is to increase revenue (through research, new infrastructure, attracting new faculty) instead of allotting money to courses. It sucks to not get into a specific course you wanted though, and I understand that.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences