MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Marching Band - Get Involved! nogood205 MacInsiders Announcements 4 01-10-2010 12:18 AM
McMaster Marching Band nogood205 Clubs & Groups 2 09-13-2009 09:27 AM
McMaster Marching Band! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 03-08-2009 09:12 AM
McMaster Jazz Band? MarkA General Discussion 0 09-24-2008 04:20 PM

McMaster Concert Band

Old 05-04-2008 at 09:04 AM   #1
Joann
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 8 Times

McMaster Concert Band
Hey there!

I was curious about the McMaster Concert Band. Is it difficult to make it through the auditions? Is the band a good one, and how many people are in it?
I've already accepted my offer into Life Sciences, and I thought I'd check out some of the clubs and extra-curriculars out.

Thanks and take care!
Old 05-04-2008 at 11:31 AM   #2
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Hi i am also doing life science next year too and interested in band... lol what instrument do you play? did you do band all four years of highschool?
Old 05-04-2008 at 01:02 PM   #3
FlyWithMac

Liked: 0 Times

Im also in the Life Sciences and is interested in the Concert band! haha

I played trumpet for 4 years (elementary & high school) and started playing saxophone in Grade 11 ... i can also play the piano but still need practicing lol.
Old 05-04-2008 at 10:07 PM   #4
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

I play trombone ... and kind of learned the trumpet from my brother which is so much cooler than the trombone.
Old 05-05-2008 at 01:38 AM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Concert band is a lot of fun, I am not personally in it, but have a lot of friends who are. Auditions are fair. If you're good at a popular instrument (trombone, trumpet, etc) then you have a good chance at getting in. It counts as an elective credit and is a full-year course. You have to attend practices and concerts. Its fun, AND you get a credit

Not sure when auditions are, but usually before school starts.

E-mail Dr. Kinder (he's the person you want to talk to) at [email protected]

You can also read a bit about the band here:
http://www.msu.mcmaster.ca/clubs/concertband/index.html
Old 06-06-2008 at 08:55 PM   #6
CHolowatyj

Competition
Well, I guess it looks like I have some competition on Trumpet then...I'm doing Music in September...Although I find it kind of funny that 3 LifeSci kids want to do concert band...why not just make a whole new LifeSci Band???

And props to you sinthusized... yes, Trumpet is cooler than Trombone lol
Old 06-08-2008 at 11:13 AM   #7
Joann
Account Disabled by User

Heh... yeah I know someone on trumpet as well that might audition. I play the flute though... I don't know if that's suppose to make it more or less competitive... and in reply to Sinthusized, I started learning the flute when I was in elementary school but I was only in the high school band for three years.
Old 06-10-2008 at 11:38 PM   #8
Willmountain
Master and Commander

Liked: 69 Times

I'm thinking of joining the Jazz band/jazz club since I've been playing for a few years in high school. I play bass, clarinet and I try to play tenor (I started in september...) and I have NO idea what it will be like next year. I'm in Kin, and I'm really hoping I can keep my fingers flying somehow... And I hope my roommate doesn't kill me if I have one... We'll just have to see. Is there any info on the jazz band at all?
Old 06-11-2008 at 12:31 AM   #9
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Email Dr. Kinder at [email protected]
Old 06-11-2008 at 12:50 AM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

heh. dr. kid

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-11-2008 at 02:34 PM   #11
Joann
Account Disabled by User

Registering for the course
Hey.

Okay I have another question. I emailed the School of Arts and they said that auditions are held in September, so they will post dates and times later on.

However, since course registrations are coming up, are we supposed to register for the course (Music 1G03) on SOLAR when it opens up (June 30th for me)? Or would we have to register for the course in September after a successful audition?

I was curious because the prereq. for a non-music student is a successful audition. I was wondering what would happen then if we had an unsuccessful audition. Wouldn't we have to replace that course with something else? School would already have started...

I hope that wasn't confusing.
Old 06-11-2008 at 02:38 PM   #12
FlyWithMac

I think there's a period in the first month of classes where you can drop a class and choose another one.
Old 06-11-2008 at 04:13 PM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobee View Post
Hey.

Okay I have another question. I emailed the School of Arts and they said that auditions are held in September, so they will post dates and times later on.

However, since course registrations are coming up, are we supposed to register for the course (Music 1G03) on SOLAR when it opens up (June 30th for me)? Or would we have to register for the course in September after a successful audition?

I was curious because the prereq. for a non-music student is a successful audition. I was wondering what would happen then if we had an unsuccessful audition. Wouldn't we have to replace that course with something else? School would already have started...

I hope that wasn't confusing.
It wasn't confusing at all! But you're going to have to email them back, I'm afraid. I'm not entirely sure how this works.

I doubt you would have permission to take the course without having had a successful audition (ie you would try to add it when you go on to SOLAR to pick courses and you won't have permission to do so). So in that case, I assume you would choose a class to take assuming you don't get in, that way you are still offered your choice of elective even if you don't get in. Then when you get into the class you can just switch.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-12-2008 at 12:06 PM   #14
b_sunshine55

Liked: 1 Time

I am in Life Sciences and was in concert band last year in my second year for trumpet. During clubsfest (a day in the week before school) find the concert band table and sign up for an audition - last year you needed one slow piece and one fast one. The audition is really relaxed because Dr.Kinder is such a nice guy. I played band all through high school and really enjoyed getting back into band this year, so if you like to play, try out - you've got nothing to lose!

Kayli says thanks to b_sunshine55 for this post.