MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So, CUPE is also pulling UofT into the strike mix feonateresa General Discussion 20 11-01-2009 10:38 PM
McMaster Walks Away from the Bargaining Table: CUPE 3906 On Strike 8am November 2nd dsahota MacInsiders Announcements 139 11-01-2009 05:08 PM
CUPE 3906 Unit 1 Gets Strong Strike Mandate: 50% Higher Turnout Than 2006 dsahota MacInsiders Announcements 4 09-24-2009 06:30 PM

McMaster CUPE strike?

Old 02-02-2009 at 09:21 AM   #1
Husnia

Liked: 2 Times

McMaster CUPE strike?
So as I was driving into Mac today from Sterling, I saw a bunch of people holding up CUPE signs and handing out papers. Well, my parents did first and kind of freaked out thinking that they were striking and saying they'd hope we don't turn out to be like how York was.

Right now, I'm a little nervous, because I have no idea if they were just there, or they are striking/possibly going to strike.

Anyone know what's up?
Old 02-02-2009 at 10:34 AM   #2
mgallant

Liked: 7 Times

I saw a group of people handing out papers today with some flags, but couldn't really be bothered to see what was going on. If I knew it was CUPE, I'd have definitely checked it out. Hopefully everything's alright; I don't want to end up like York!
Old 02-02-2009 at 10:35 AM   #3
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgallant View Post
I saw a group of people handing out papers today with some flags, but couldn't really be bothered to see what was going on. If I knew it was CUPE, I'd have definitely checked it out. Hopefully everything's alright; I don't want to end up like York!
There's nothing mentioned that I could see on the CUPE3906 site (www.cupe3906.org) so I wouldn't get worried. Plus their contract is up in August, not now.
Old 02-02-2009 at 10:55 AM   #4
s.e.fenwick

Liked: 0 Times

I walked passed them this morning and they handed me a paper titled "McMaster Union Stages Info Picket to Protest Back-to-work Legislation at York" so it doesn't look like they're striking, just trying to inform people.
Old 02-02-2009 at 01:12 PM   #5
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

So.. what, they were protesting the Back-to-work legislation at York? Really? Hmm.
Old 02-02-2009 at 02:46 PM   #6
McIntyre

Liked: 173 Times

Apparently they will be prepared to strike in Fall 2009.
Old 02-02-2009 at 02:46 PM   #7
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

We averted a CUPE strike this summer actually. It might come up again in 2 years, but right now we are not looking at anything immediate.
Old 02-02-2009 at 03:01 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Check out my article from June. It explains why the Mac's CUPE union was thinking of striking; and technically what can still be a possibility in the future.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-02-2009 at 04:28 PM   #9
Husnia

Liked: 2 Times

I was just worried because I didn't want there be a strike, especially with two months left in the year. Not gonna lie, I'd be super pissed.
Old 02-02-2009 at 04:42 PM   #10
c.erl
PLUC Front, etc.

Liked: 94 Times

I wouldn't be too worried, though I did hear a lot about Mac's union local having to fight with the university for more pay.

I mean, when the university administration can walk away with millions of dollars in bonus packages and they won't even sit down with the union to discuss better pay for their workers? It's crazy. The whole situation at York made people hate unions, but the reality is they're standing up for themselves and their right to a fair wage...

We all have to look at both sides of this situation. Sure, we'll be mad that our schooling is affected, but who should we be getting mad at? The union or the executive board...the unions aren't the ones jacking our tuition up every chance they get...
Old 02-02-2009 at 07:54 PM   #11
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Oh my goddddd.

I don't know, maybe this is just me. But unless I was making like 28 cents an hour, I wouldn't feel right about striking to get more than my $16,000 a year and wasting 25,000 students' time and money. I honestly don't mean this to be rude - but I could NEVER see myself doing that.

I have one more year of undergrad and one year of Masters.. I hope to god there isn't a strike anytime soon.
Old 02-02-2009 at 08:03 PM   #12
DannyV
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
Oh my goddddd.

I don't know, maybe this is just me. But unless I was making like 28 cents an hour, I wouldn't feel right about striking to get more than my $16,000 a year and wasting 25,000 students' time and money. I honestly don't mean this to be rude - but I could NEVER see myself doing that.

I have one more year of undergrad and one year of Masters.. I hope to god there isn't a strike anytime soon.
You realize of course that $16,000 per year is hardly enough for a contract faculty to support him/her self.
Old 02-02-2009 at 08:04 PM   #13
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
You realize of course that $16,000 per year is hardly enough for a contract faculty to support him/her self.
Sorry, I meant TAs, not professors/lecturers.
Old 02-02-2009 at 08:05 PM   #14
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

I know what you mean Heather, I'm a tad worried about the talks of renegotiation on McMaster's contract in August of this year... if Mac's sessionals take a leaf from Yorks books... we're screwed.

I mean, I can understand that they're fighting for better working conditions but...striking like that is NOT the answer. Look at York, their enrollment is down now and if it continues to go down they're not going to need all of the profs that they have. They're certainly not going to let go the associates and tenureds (not that they can in the latter sense) but it's going to be the SESSIONALS who won't have their contracts renewed. They're screwing themselves in the long run. Least, thats the way I see it.

Old 02-02-2009 at 08:08 PM   #15
DannyV
Elite Member

Luckily (or unluckily) our union has 2 bargaining units one for Teaching Assistants and Research Assistants (Unit 1 ) and one for Sessional Lecturers and Music Instructors (Unit 2 ).

Though I would assume if one goes on strike so would the other.