MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Need help from Bell Mobility employee burforbt Computers & Tech 3 10-13-2010 08:04 PM
Tim Horton's Camp Day lorend MacInsiders Announcements 4 06-11-2009 05:07 PM
Payroll Delay: For Student Employee's kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 1 07-31-2008 02:59 PM

McMaster Students Crowdfund A Vacation Surprise For Tim Horton's Employee

Recently, several students banded together to crowdfund a surprise for Marshall: a vacation, paid in full.

In the first three days of their fundraising campaign, the students raised $800. Last week, they presented Marshall with a ceremonial cheque for over $1,400.

Before they gave her the cheque for $1455.26, the students honoured their favourite barista with an impromptu dance party outside the coffee shop.

“Terri is someone who has always been there for Mac students!” the students wrote on gofundme. “As students, we have a lot of uphill battles daily be it a bad mark or just the day not going well for us in general. Regardless of what, Terry will always put a smile on your face if you are buying a coffee or even if you just walking by. She never fails to scream with joy when you give her a winning roll up and always does an awesome dance! From writing small but powerful words on the lid of your cup, she brightens your day that much more. Now, its about time we gave back for all the happiness she has spread and sending her on a vacation for all her hard work and dedication not just to Tim Hortons but to McMaster Students, would be the perfect way to do so everyone!”

Published by

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 04-07-2015 at 02:52 PM   #2
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times
So... how many kids with cancer did they crowdfund so far? What does not entertain us is not worth crowdfunding?

Old 04-07-2015
arsh03
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 04-08-2015 at 11:16 AM   #3
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucas View Post
So... how many kids with cancer did they crowdfund so far? What does not entertain us is not worth crowdfunding?
Agreed there are better things to crowdfund, but that doesn't take away from the good deed that McMaster students performed.
Typically i agree with your hyperbolic comments, but this is a bit unnecessary.

Old 04-09-2015 at 11:29 AM   #4
goatandsheep

Liked: 1 Time
Participant here,

Think about how she's being paid minimum wage and how little opportunity it gives her to go on vacation. If anyone with a small income deserves a vacation, it's her. Yes, I agree that Timmies should cover that, but they won't. And hopefully, this shows how important it is to respect your good employees.

If you want to say one thing is better than another, then think about the amount that goes towards different things. Imagine if we only gave money to "the best thing". For example, I don't think my educational experience has made me want to donate money to McMaster. I'd much rather give money to a cancer fund. However, if nobody donated to McMaster, our education would be much more expensive.

Another thing is that cancer societies don't give money to cancer prevention or finding cancer cures. It's all for finding better cancer detection methods. Cancer is good business. That's not to say we shouldn't give money to cancer societies, it's just something to think about.

Maybe there can be an employee of the year award or something by McMaster.

arsh03 likes this.

Old 04-09-2015 at 04:47 PM   #5
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatandsheep View Post
Participant here,

Think about how she's being paid minimum wage and how little opportunity it gives her to go on vacation. If anyone with a small income deserves a vacation, it's her. Yes, I agree that Timmies should cover that, but they won't. And hopefully, this shows how important it is to respect your good employees.

If you want to say one thing is better than another, then think about the amount that goes towards different things. Imagine if we only gave money to "the best thing". For example, I don't think my educational experience has made me want to donate money to McMaster. I'd much rather give money to a cancer fund. However, if nobody donated to McMaster, our education would be much more expensive.

Another thing is that cancer societies don't give money to cancer prevention or finding cancer cures. It's all for finding better cancer detection methods. Cancer is good business. That's not to say we shouldn't give money to cancer societies, it's just something to think about.

Maybe there can be an employee of the year award or something by McMaster.
Cancer societies DO give money for prevention and finding cures, and better detection is a part of that but not the only part. They also do plenty of other things to support people living with cancer. Saying that all they do is help fund research into cancer detection methods is neither accurate or helpful. And your statement that "cancer is good business" is quite insulting to the people who spend a good portion of their lives working hard trying to improve the length and quality of life for people who have cancer.

An employee of the year award for Mac would be nice, but "external" employees, such as the ones at Tim Hortons, aren't considered McMaster employees. Not to say that excellent McMaster employees shouldn't be recognized - I just mean that it wouldn't make a difference in this case. Though I am kind of surprised if Tim Hortons doesn't have some sort of employee recognition program - they're a big enough company.

At the end of the day, I think that if you believe there are better ways to spend your money, then you're free to do so. It's not like this was a mandatory fee imposed on the student body. There are a bunch of people who obviously cared enough to want to do something nice for a person who made their days a bit brighter, and there's nothing wrong with that. Those same people are not necessarily going to donate less money to other causes because of this, and the most "worthy" cause is subjective anyways.

Old 04-10-2015 at 11:31 AM   #6
goatandsheep

Liked: 1 Time
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Cancer societies DO give money for prevention and finding cures, and better detection is a part of that but not the only part. They also do plenty of other things to support people living with cancer. Saying that all they do is help fund research into cancer detection methods is neither accurate or helpful. And your statement that "cancer is good business" is quite insulting to the people who spend a good portion of their lives working hard trying to improve the length and quality of life for people who have cancer.

An employee of the year award for Mac would be nice, but "external" employees, such as the ones at Tim Hortons, aren't considered McMaster employees. Not to say that excellent McMaster employees shouldn't be recognized - I just mean that it wouldn't make a difference in this case. Though I am kind of surprised if Tim Hortons doesn't have some sort of employee recognition program - they're a big enough company.

At the end of the day, I think that if you believe there are better ways to spend your money, then you're free to do so. It's not like this was a mandatory fee imposed on the student body. There are a bunch of people who obviously cared enough to want to do something nice for a person who made their days a bit brighter, and there's nothing wrong with that. Those same people are not necessarily going to donate less money to other causes because of this, and the most "worthy" cause is subjective anyways.
Yeah, you're right that there are some cancer societies that fund cancer prevention studies. I guess when I was making this post, the things that stood out to me were the times when cancer prevention studies were denied funding, but that could be for a number of other reasons. I apologize about the part where I said cancer is good business. I do not feel that, personally, but I am speaking for some people who do feel that way. I really do feel sympathetic to those who get cancer and I appreciate those who fight to save lives from cancer, whether it's from earlier detection or prevention.

starfish says thanks to goatandsheep for this post.

Old 04-10-2015 at 04:47 PM   #7
GeorgeLucas
Elite Member

Liked: 91 Times
Quote:
Imagine if we only gave money to "the best thing". For example, I don't think my educational experience has made me want to donate money to McMaster. I'd much rather give money to a cancer fund. However, if nobody donated to McMaster, our education would be much more expensive.
Emm no, you are comparing apples and oranges. Giving money to cancer and education, is investing in our future. This event is just giving money to a woman that does her job well (which should be Tim Horton's responsibility). Which is also weird because all employees do their job well, if they don't, they get fired. So what makes her so special?

Oh, she dances, is that it? Well then, I'll refer you to my original comment then.

Quote:
Think about how she's being paid minimum wage and how little opportunity it gives her to go on vacation.
Couldn't she take a loan like we do to get a degree? A kid with cancer will never know what life is, but donations like this provide people with poor career choices (their own choices mind you) with means of living.

Yeah, no. I'm not on board with this. Sorry.

Old 04-11-2015 at 08:28 PM   #8
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times
.... so how about NOT donating any money to it and going about your day? Maybe you should take the next bit of money you were going to spend on yourself and instead donate to cancer research. Oh wait... I shouldn't be telling you where and to whom to donate your money? Seriously.

People work minimum wage jobs for a variety of reasons. This is a woman who goes above and beyond to make people smile, and that's a fairly rare thing in the service industry. I spent eight years working with the general public and was very scarcely appreciated whatsoever beyond a tiny ass paycheck that barely paid my rent. If people want to show their gratitude to someone who may have brightened their day, that's their business.

starfish likes this.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search