MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
@muss.cis.mcmaster.ca vs @mcmaster.ca KMoney First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-13-2010 06:04 PM

McMaster Symphony Orchestra?

Old 08-09-2010 at 02:57 PM   #1
hellohello

Liked: 9 Times

McMaster Symphony Orchestra?
Does Mac have a Symphony Orchestra?

If so, where can I find the audition requirements? Also, does anyone know the audition requirements for the chamber orchestra?

Thank you!
Old 08-09-2010 at 03:26 PM   #2
irule333

Liked: 2 Times

Theres only the chamber orchestra, though i didn't know there was a real difference between chamber and symphony orchestra...as for audition requirements ill just paste a bit of an email the music director sent:

"I re-audition everyone every year, so joining next fall is easily
possible. We do post posters all over campus and the auditions take
place during the first week of classes. If you don't see a poster,
please contact me directly.
The auditions require two short pieces: one slow to show pitch and
tone; one fast to show technique, plus sight reading. The pieces could
be two excerpts from the same piece, of course."

as far as i can tell, if you play a strings instrument youre chances are pretty good of getting in
Old 08-09-2010 at 04:20 PM   #3
hellohello

Quote:
Originally Posted by irule333 View Post
Theres only the chamber orchestra, though i didn't know there was a real difference between chamber and symphony orchestra...as for audition requirements ill just paste a bit of an email the music director sent:

"I re-audition everyone every year, so joining next fall is easily
possible. We do post posters all over campus and the auditions take
place during the first week of classes. If you don't see a poster,
please contact me directly.
The auditions require two short pieces: one slow to show pitch and
tone; one fast to show technique, plus sight reading. The pieces could
be two excerpts from the same piece, of course."

as far as i can tell, if you play a strings instrument youre chances are pretty good of getting in
Thank you!!

I assumed that a symphony orchestra would have all of the instrumentation (strings, wind, brass, percussion) and the chamber one would just be strings, but I may be wrong.

And did he talk about the difficulty of these pieces at all? Thanks

Last edited by hellohello : 08-09-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-09-2010 at 04:26 PM   #4
irule333

lol the chamber orchestra has all the instruments...i think chamber just implies its smaller than like the 100 member full symphony
the 2 sections of the same piece is like 2 movements of a concerto or something like that...im not sure about 2 parts of the same song (probably not ur audition wud be like 2 minutes then haha)
at least theres no excerpts or technical stuff like scales...

EDIT: regarding the difficulty of the pieces...Dr.Kinder (the conductor) said that "
As to level, the section naturally has players a several levels, but your experience would
certainly seem to indicate that you should be fine."

in response to my saying

"Just so you have an idea, I have played in the Mooredale Youth Orchestra for 5 years (1 in intermediate and the rest in youth) and will likely audition with Van Goens' Scherzo or if my haitus was too long for that to be possible it will likely be Faure's Sicilienne. With Mooredale I have performed the likes of the first two Beethoven Symphonies and Schubert's 5th Symphony, as well as Mozart's 29th and 40th symphonies (although the 40th was near impossible haha)."

I really don't know what the orchestra is like (didn't play last year)

Last edited by irule333 : 08-09-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-09-2010 at 07:31 PM   #5
hellohello

Thank you so much for your help!
Old 09-06-2010 at 07:26 PM   #6
HPYO

Liked: 0 Times

Hey there hellohello and irule,

Just noticed your post and wanted to let you know that the Hamilton Philharmonic Youth Orchestra is also a great place to play in the city (but maybe I'm a bit biased

Anyway, wanted to let you guys know that we're currently doing auditions for the HPYO and it's open to musicians under the age of 24. You can find out more about audition requirements at www.hpyo.com or email [email protected]

Alrighty--just wanted to spread the word.

Cheers!!

Diana
Old 09-06-2010 at 11:23 PM   #7
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Hiya. I was wondering if anyone knows what time the rehearsals are for chamber orchestra. Thanks.
Old 09-07-2010 at 11:11 PM   #8
irule333

Quote:
Hiya. I was wondering if anyone knows what time the rehearsals are for chamber orchestra.
The master timetable says mondays from 6-9

also the audition sign up sheets are posted on the 4th floor of TSH (i went to check today) and the dates for the auditions were monday afternoon/evening and wednesday morning for the strings (i think...)

what instruments do all of you play? and good luck on your auditions!
Old 09-12-2010 at 09:46 PM   #9
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

I play violin. I was with the Windsor Symphony Youth Orchestra for about 5 years, and then with the Detroit Civic Orchestra last year. I played a lot of really good stuff with DCO, including Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, the Nutcracker, and Beethoven's Symphony no. 9. Rite of Spring and the 9th were probably the most exciting things I've ever played. (: Got such a high off of both, it was amazing.
Old 09-12-2010 at 10:05 PM   #10
irule333

Quote:
I played a lot of really good stuff with DCO, including Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, the Nutcracker, and Beethoven's Symphony no. 9.
wow that is thoroughly impressive...you got to play the 9th with a full choir? that must have been amazing!

haha i remember having an excerpt of stravinsky's petrushka for the TSYO...it was awful lol

audition tomoro! ...im starting to get nervous haha
Old 09-12-2010 at 11:11 PM   #11
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Yeah, the last movement of the 9th with full choir was just epic. We had some of the choir in the box seats, which was nifty. And the Stravinsky...I was assistant principal second for that concert, heh. Didn't know until the first day of rehearsal, and I didn't really have the piece learned, so that wasn't fun. The ever-changing meter was quite a *****, but it was such an awesome high to play once I could actually...y'know, play it. Hopefully I get to play Petrushka too, someday.

Good luck with your audition! Mine's on Wednesday morning, so I get a while more to practice. :P