MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help McMaster win the Campus Music Explosion! Marlowe Music 0 04-06-2010 10:11 AM
Getting from mcmaster to university of waterloo? killza Automotive & Transportation 9 02-21-2010 08:17 PM
The McMaster University Bursaries jhan523 MacInsiders Announcements 13 01-03-2010 11:11 PM
McMaster Electronic Dance Music kokosas MacInsiders Announcements 1 02-25-2009 07:32 AM
McMaster University Sustainability Day Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 10-27-2008 08:17 AM

McMaster University Music Ensembles

Old 07-02-2008 at 12:28 AM   #1
dchan28

Liked: 1 Time

McMaster University Music Ensembles
Is there any possible way to be involved in any of the McMaster University Music Ensembles (which may include choir, concert band, vocal group) if I already have 30 units of courses selected for a different program (with electives chosen already)?

I really want to still be involved in music and be able to audition for the groups and participate in it as an extra-curricular activity. If anyone can help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-02-2008 at 09:10 AM   #2
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

McMaster has a TON of clubs. You can always join the McMaster Choir and/or band. Auditions will be required for some of the clubs. During Welcome Week, on the Wednesday i believe, is when Clubsfest occurs so you can definitely sign up for it!! I might wanna join the choir too next year so I'll keep you posted!
Old 07-02-2008 at 09:36 AM   #3
nicole.h

I believe that you are able to choose band/choir as an extra-curricular activity, but it does also make a fairly easy electives.
Old 07-02-2008 at 02:05 PM   #4
Rob Mac

Liked: 14 Times

It says on the course description that Ensamble Preformance is only open to students registered in a music program, so as I am registered in Math can I still take it as an elective?
Old 07-02-2008 at 08:24 PM   #5
Cippi

This is odd. In all previous editions of the calendar, it says that the only prerequisite for any of the Ensemble Performance courses is "Successful audition required". Indeed, I knew several students who were not music majors yet were in the Orchestra/Choir/etc. Only this year has the prerequisite been changed to "Registration in a Music program". If that's true, I think it's a pretty bad decision on SOTA's part.

You may want to e-mail the director of most of the ensembles, Dr. Keith Kinder ([email protected]), and ask him. By all accounts he's a great guy, and will be able to answer this more definitively.

I can tell you that in the past, you had the choice to either do the band/choir as a credit course or as a non-credit extra-curricular, but as already mentioned, it's a pretty easy credit if you're competent with your instrument. If you already have 30 units and you want to take it for the credit, I think you just have to go to your faculty's Associate Dean's office and request to overload the semester (this sometimes is even pre-authorized - try it on SOLAR and it may just work). This would only apply if you can be in the ensembles as a non-music student this year, so make sure you inquire about that!