MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SECRETS of McMaster!!!! JeetDevDesai First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 296 09-27-2015 12:30 PM
Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs) - Interview RJK1990 Volunteering Opportunities 1 12-17-2013 10:57 PM
McMaster Wins The Vanier Cup - First In McMaster History Chad MacInsiders Announcements 10 11-26-2011 02:34 AM
Upcoming Concert - Arkells, San Sebastian, Dirty Nil Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 09-26-2011 11:44 PM
Life secrets thread Mr. Pink General Discussion 8 02-07-2010 04:24 PM

McMaster's dirty secrets

Members have rated post #402011 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 05-26-2014 at 10:00 AM   #1
[email protected]

Liked: 0 Times

McMaster's dirty secrets
Plenty of positive points about McMaster can be found. What about the dirty negative secrets that the University is scare to let the prospective students know? Please list your top 5 "Things students should be warn before accepting McMaster's offer".
Old 05-26-2014 at 10:42 AM   #2
sarahsweet

Liked: 13 Times

In general I don't think there are any 'dirty secrets'. Your university experience is as good as you make it. Every faculty/program is different, which one are you thinking of accepting and what other universities are you comparing?

We can share personal experiences to help you compare the programs and give you the 'real student perspective' if that is what you're looking for.
Old 05-26-2014 at 11:21 AM   #3
[email protected]

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweet View Post
In general I don't think there are any 'dirty secrets'. Your university experience is as good as you make it. Every faculty/program is different, which one are you thinking of accepting and what other universities are you comparing?

We can share personal experiences to help you compare the programs and give you the 'real student perspective' if that is what you're looking for.
Every single experience would includes something that you find agitating. What would that be? University experience is as good as you make it, however you are not in control of every single aspects. Which aspects about McMaster that you had to overcome in order to enjoy it? Basically list all your experience and only includes the stuff you didn't like since its too easy to find positive stuff about McMaster and other Universities. I want the dirty secrets!
Old 05-26-2014 at 11:26 AM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

It's no secret. Thode washrooms are so dirty.

Old 05-26-2014 at 11:29 AM   #5
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

health sci is one of the easiest undergrad programs in the country.
Old 05-26-2014 at 11:39 AM   #6
2Dream

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
health sci is one of the easiest undergrad programs in the country.
Yup right behind humanities haha
Old 05-26-2014 at 11:49 AM   #7
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Dream View Post
Yup right behind humanities haha
na health sci is easier. humanities isnt easy to get 11+ gpa in. health sci is.

rtongsta likes this.
Old 05-26-2014 at 11:53 AM   #8
samd

Liked: 22 Times

I think you'll need to be more specific to get any meaningful answers to this question. It really depends on your personality and what you hope to get out of coming to Mac. What one person may consider a "dirty secret" someone else may have loved.

For example, I would consider welcome week a dirty secret because I'm an introverted person and the artificial "wackiness" that welcome week tries to manufacture is not my idea of fun. This is something that isn't discussed very much, and I felt blindsided by all this when I arrived. However, you'll also find thousands of people with glowingly positive stories from welcome week because it fit their personality and what they were expecting.

Just one example, but I think it applies to most of university/adult life.

Kudos says thanks to samd for this post.

gkjagdev, lsparrow1, nmerwin like this.
Old 05-26-2014 at 03:28 PM   #9
crudel42

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by samd View Post
I think you'll need to be more specific to get any meaningful answers to this question. It really depends on your personality and what you hope to get out of coming to Mac. What one person may consider a "dirty secret" someone else may have loved.

For example, I would consider welcome week a dirty secret because I'm an introverted person and the artificial "wackiness" that welcome week tries to manufacture is not my idea of fun. This is something that isn't discussed very much, and I felt blindsided by all this when I arrived. However, you'll also find thousands of people with glowingly positive stories from welcome week because it fit their personality and what they were expecting.

Just one example, but I think it applies to most of university/adult life.
So many people side stepping the answers. Its really unfortunate to see this situation, especially the above response.

Dirty secrets very students should know before they hit the accept button?

McMaster has one of the most outdated course registration system. There is no official queues in place, its just madness. The system can't handle the amount of users flooding in every time course registration starts. You will be spending hours banging your head on the table. This picture will be very familiar to you if you come here.

Its so bad that we have to create addons to auto click F5 (refresh).

You going to tell the OP that maybe if your personality is in sync, you will start enjoying the course registration process?
Old 05-26-2014 at 04:17 PM   #10
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

They're redoing the registration process for 2015 though (MOSAIC), so the SOLAR/MUGSI nightmare days will soon be a thing of the past. unfortunate for those of us who had to live through it...

arathbon likes this.
Old 05-26-2014 at 04:55 PM   #11
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Gilmour Hall men's washroom by titles. Some people may know it's notorious reputation, most do not.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 05-26-2014 at 05:10 PM   #12
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Basically awful course registration. But that's pretty much over with. Just one more year. I also think it wasn't too bad (although still frustrating) as a first year simply because classes are huge and you're not typically fighting for 1 of 20 spots in a popular course.

Other than that I don't think there was anything that was worse than I expected it to be. Except maybe the disdain some neighbours have for students and deferred maintenance but these are problems you find at every university.
Old 05-26-2014 at 05:27 PM   #13
gggggg

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by arathbon View Post
Basically awful course registration. But that's pretty much over with. Just one more year. I also think it wasn't too bad (although still frustrating) as a first year simply because classes are huge and you're not typically fighting for 1 of 20 spots in a popular course.

Other than that I don't think there was anything that was worse than I expected it to be. Except maybe the disdain some neighbours have for students and deferred maintenance but these are problems you find at every university.
The course registration is not a dirty SECRET. Everyone in other school knows it. Every year during course selection time, tons of facebook statuses are filled with complaints. It is hard to miss it when all your mac friends are posting about it.
Old 05-26-2014 at 08:35 PM   #14
SweetyTweety
Elite Member

Liked: 164 Times

SOLAR may have been irritating, but that sense of joy you get when you're finally able to get on is unbelievable and truly priceless.

Ponyo likes this.
Old 05-26-2014 at 09:07 PM   #15
Alert Moderator & Admin
Add negative rating4 / 1Add positive rank
The MI community has ranked down this post by Philipp31.
Click here to view it anyways.