MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Off-Campus Meal Plan ? resh.jyoti General Discussion 3 09-17-2010 09:54 AM
Meal plans jdia General Discussion 3 11-06-2009 10:26 PM
Off campus housing and meal plan Richa Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 5 03-02-2009 04:08 PM
Meal Plans katie_batt First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 07-04-2008 11:25 PM
Meal Plans J-Met First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 05-25-2008 10:55 AM

Meal Plans/Eating on-campus

Old 08-27-2010 at 12:06 AM   #1
rkb12

Liked: 33 Times

Meal Plans/Eating on-campus
I need help locating places to eat. I know there's a Subway off-campus, and I've been to La Piazza in the student centre. I've heard that Bridges is considered a nice restaurant. Apart from that, I don't know much =( and I have some questions:

1. Is there another Subway on campus?
2. Where are the other cafeterias/restaurants located?
3. Are there any other vegetarian places to eat (other than Bridges)?
4. Where do most people end up having meals?
5. Which places serve HEALTHY food?
6. What are the prices like?

I don't want to eat junk food all day, and I'm a vegetarian on top of that. Also, I don't want to run out of money in my meal plan by the end of the year. Any information would be very helpful! (Even experiences with meal plans or reviews about certain places on-campus)

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2010 at 12:08 AM   #2
rkb12

Oh, and how do you pay for food on-campus?
Old 08-27-2010 at 12:14 AM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb12 View Post
I need help locating places to eat. I know there's a Subway off-campus, and I've been to La Piazza in the student centre. I've heard that Bridges is considered a nice restaurant. Apart from that, I don't know much =( and I have some questions:

1. Is there another Subway on campus?
2. Where are the other cafeterias/restaurants located?
3. Are there any other vegetarian places to eat (other than Bridges)?
4. Where do most people end up having meals?
5. Which places serve HEALTHY food?
6. What are the prices like?

I don't want to eat junk food all day, and I'm a vegetarian on top of that. Also, I don't want to run out of money in my meal plan by the end of the year. Any information would be very helpful! (Even experiences with meal plans or reviews about certain places on-campus)

Thanks!
1. No
2. http://hospitality.mcmaster. ca/locations/map.html
3. Bridges is the only official vegetarian place on campus. You can get "vegetarian" food at other places, basically food without meat. But the selection is very small, but feel free to look around. They have coloured tongs to handle different types of foods.
4. Commons (Now Centro) and La Piazza are the biggest I believe. Bistro and Bridges are also big, but more expensive.
5. Commons last year had ridiculously unhealthy food overall, they are changing this year though so it might change. I think Bridges and Bistro is the healthiest.
6. Bridges: http://hospitality.mcmaster. ca/menu/bridges.html
Bistro: http://hospitality.mcmaster. ca/menu/emw.html
Centro is going to be different so prices are unknown.
La Piazza doesn't have the menu online.

Edit: Paying for food: If you have a meal plan, you just swipe your McMaster Student ID Card. If you don't then only cash is accepted.
Old 08-27-2010 at 12:27 AM   #4
Shyne44

Liked: 0 Times

1) There's no Subway on campus but you can grab subs at Piller's Deli in different locations throughout the campus. I believe there's one in La Piazza, IAHS and Commons.
2) There's usually somewhere to grab food in each building, ranging from a small cafe to a cafeteria with lots of vendors. Mostly you will find yourself eating at La Piazza or Commons. Make sure to try out East meets West bistro at Keyes, theres a lot of great filling dishes there.
3) There's no other exclusively vegetarian place but most of the vendors have a few veggie options. The Pasta place at La Piazza was very popular among vegetarians.
4) La Piazza or Commons
5) Healthy food is actually not hard to comeby in Mac. Just keep an eye out and avoid the obvious like Pizza, burgers etc. You'll find healthy options in many restaurants.
6) From my experience you should get a full meal with drinks for around 8-10. I have a pretty big appetite so might vary for you. Overall pricing wasn't too bad.
Old 08-27-2010 at 12:55 AM   #5
rkb12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyne44 View Post
6) From my experience you should get a full meal with drinks for around 8-10. I have a pretty big appetite so might vary for you. Overall pricing wasn't too bad.
I eat a lot too , so I'm just just wondering: how often did you eat out, and did you have to add more money to your meal plan?
I was thinking of bringing some food from home and even making sandwiches/wraps myself, so I chose a light meal plan (I figured I'll add more money if I need it).
Old 08-27-2010 at 07:26 AM   #6
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

There is a Subway right opposite the Hospital