MacInsiders Logo
Old 11-03-2012 at 09:16 PM   #31
Thinker

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryBean View Post
EDIT: Also, oooo, computer science is so challenging that you have to hire a stack up waterloo student. The program is in fact so hard to get in to, that it's offered in almost any university out there....
What exactly do you mean? Since Computer Science is offered in almost every university so it should be easy? So with this logic then Electrical, Civil, Mechanical should all be easy since they are also offered in almost every University out there?
Old 11-04-2012 at 12:28 AM   #32
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinker View Post
What exactly do you mean? Since Computer Science is offered in almost every university so it should be easy? So with this logic then Electrical, Civil, Mechanical should all be easy since they are also offered in almost every University out there?
Honestly, I don't remember the logic behind my answer.

I guess I thought he said that Waterloo is so badass, that it has computer science program.
Old 11-04-2012 at 01:10 AM   #33
Porsche911

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I don't get the mentality of this generation/culture. Sometime you gotta do what you gotta do, like arranged marriages.

Are you going to reject it just because you don't love the person?

No! You make it work! Eventually love will bloom over time.

Same with a career. Make sure you pick one that will obtain the most respect and monetary compensation that fit your skills set. Eventually you will learn to love the job.

This doesn't apply to everywhere, but not everyone know what their passions and drive is of yet. If you don't know, just pick respect and money. It won't steer you wrong.
Sorry, but I completely disagree. There's a reason that arranged marriages are almost non-existent in Western culture. That was an absolutely terrible analogy.

Are you in high school? It's not uncommon to have the mentality that you need a high-paying prestigious job (if you want proof, look at my username. I guarantee you that if I made this account today, I would not pick that name).

Besides, as others have mentioned, a genuine passion for your job will mean that you are better at it, which could easily lead to promotions and thus $$$.

Everyone from upper year students, to career advisors to people in the workplace will tell you that you pick the job and then worry about money not the other way around.

Rstevenson, starfish like this.
Old 11-04-2012 at 04:15 PM   #34
Unregistered

Just to add to the discussion, I would suggest to not take up software. Most of the work can be done overseas and if not, then will be done for college graduates. The only industry that would want a software engineers are critical systems which is very rare. Pick something that cannot be done over the internet like civil engineering. Even mechanical is losing jobs because all the designs are done elsewhere outside of Canada.
Old 11-04-2012 at 04:28 PM   #35
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just to add to the discussion, I would suggest to not take up software. Most of the work can be done overseas and if not, then will be done for college graduates. The only industry that would want a software engineers are critical systems which is very rare. Pick something that cannot be done over the internet like civil engineering. Even mechanical is losing jobs because all the designs are done elsewhere outside of Canada.
Not really, in fact (as I already stated) software engineering is the #1 job in North America right now. There are tons of positions available all over the place; especially San Francisco.

Only giant companies like IBM hire foreign teams and (from my experience) they do a pretty shitty job since the common hiring practice in places like China is "hire a lot of mediocre programmers rather than a few good programmers".

Judging from people in my program and from what I hear from peers at other schools, only about 10% of the graduates are any decent at programming - so there isn't exactly a huge amount of competition from college graduates assuming you know what you're doing.
Old 11-04-2012 at 06:04 PM   #36
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

Ownaginatios

Dont feed the troll.

Even mechanical is losing jobs because all the designs are done elsewhere outside of Canada.

We live in world of globalization, in first year one of the first things we learned is that we are most likely to work outside Canada. Please stop trolling.
Old 11-04-2012 at 06:30 PM   #37
Unregistered

Mechanical engineering is not _just_ about design. Engineers implement solutions using pre-existing knowledges.

The latest labour statistic report was published in 2010. You can grab it below.

engineerscanada.ca/etlms/conditions/e/

The report on the job prospect for Mechanical Engineers, which predict hiring trends up to 2018 in Canada, basically said "Don't worry!". In fact, all across the fields, it seems to be okay for all newly graduate engineers.

Pick the stream you are interested in. Engineering is a challenging undergraduate degree. If the passion is not there, you won't make it.