MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Faculty and Program Series Part Nine: The Arts and Sciences Program lorend Academics 0 09-20-2009 08:16 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Seven: Medical Radiation Sciences Program jhan523 Faculty & Program Series 1 09-05-2009 12:53 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Two: The Indigenous Studies Program lorend Faculty & Program Series 9 08-24-2009 02:56 PM

Med Rad Program

Old 12-29-2011 at 06:04 PM   #1
maturestud

Med Rad Program
Okay, so here's my story:

I completed a college diploma program in an un-related field (business). My plan was to transfer to university, but I have since changed my mind.

I have never completed any university credits either, mostly due to the fact that my high school grades were abysmally low. I really wasn't very motivated at all back then (tons of 60s and low 70s). I also took the bare minimum and joke-type courses that aren't really recognized in any university entrance program.

I have since then upgraded ALL my high school course work (grade 12 U courses like advanced functions, physics, bio, chem, etc) and received 90+ grades in each. I would really like to get into the Medical Radiation Sciences program...

I have tried calling admission to inquire about this issue directly - but alas, it's christmas holidays and nobody is there to answer the phone.

I know I won't be considered for any transfer credit, but that's fine. Is it realistically possible to get accepted to this program? What kind of applicant would I be? Would they look at my college grades and/or high school grades?

Thanks very much.
Old 12-29-2011 at 06:52 PM   #2
dsalvatore

Liked: 67 Times

Hey!

There are quite a few "mature students" in Med Rad! That being said, admissions for Med Rad don't have a "mature students" category...so everyone with the high school prerequisites has an equal chance for acceptance. It's a very competitive program (they upped their admissions from 125 students to 150 students; however, only 120 students make it to second year-but you can worry about that when you get in!).

I'm pretty sure they will be looking at your high school courses (your most recent ones, including the prerequisites for the program).

Since you're saying you got 90+ in all your courses, you have a great chance of getting in! I wouldn't worry too much if I were you...the cutoff average is 85-ish but the higher your average, the better your chance since it's super competitive! A 90+ average gives you a pretty good edge!

Have you applied for a 2012/2013 entrance?

Best of luck!
Old 12-29-2011 at 10:19 PM   #3
maturestud

Med Rad Sci
Hey,

Are you currently a student? How are you finding the program?

Yes, I did receive 90+ averages in most of the prerequisites..Englis h might be slightly lower than that, haha..but I think I should be able to get in grade point wise (especially after talking to Nancy Brand).

She also told me that for the next 2012 year, 135 or so people get accepted...that may have changed from the last couple of years though.

40ish people get ultrasound
25-28 radiation therapy
60 radiography

Also, did you have any prior science background before enrolling? Even though I do possess all the prerequisites, I feel I'd be more prepared if I read some health books or something to gain some further insight.
Old 12-29-2011 at 11:27 PM   #4
dsalvatore

The program is pretty enjoyable! It's a lot of pressure sometimes! But the program is really small so the relationships you'll form with the other students and the teachers are definitely a plus!

I got in straight from high school so I didn't have any science background besides the prerequisites- which won't do much for you anyway! First year is very general so your high school science comes in handy but when you specialize into your stream all that stuff will be just basics and you'll be studying the legit stuff

There's no way to get ahead for the upper year stuff but you can brush up on your math, bio, and anatomy to prepare for your first year courses if you REALLY wanna get ahead (ie if you're a super keener )
Old 12-30-2011 at 12:40 AM   #5
maturestud

mad rad sci
Well you know what they say...it's always better to be over-prepared than under-prepared, haha.

But anyways I'm going to read all the anatomy/physiology/bio books I can find...the high school courses just serve as the absolute basic requirements...plus I also find learning about the human body very interesting

Ultimately I would like to go into ultrasound...but that could change in the future. I heard Rad Therapy has no jobs and x-ray just seems boring...you press a button all day and move patients around.

I heard there are pass/fail courses in this program. How did you find them personally? Do these courses tend to be very difficult to pass?

I will be applying to the 2012 intake very soon...I just need to collect all the documents to send in
Old 12-30-2011 at 12:10 PM   #6
dsalvatore

I find all three streams very interesting! Radiography is underrated, when you're in school all you do is patient positioning and pressing a button (they can't actually use any radiation in school) but once you go out into the real world, it's just as challenging as the other two streams.
Radiation therapy tends to have less job availability simple because there are much fewer cancer centers around! So if you don't anticipate moving to far-off places to find a job...Rad Therapy is not for you
Ultrasound and Radiography are both in demand...both require good interpersonal skills because you're dealing with a lot of anxious patients! I love being in ultrasound because there's a lot of teamwork and communication in the ultrasound department

Pass/fail courses are the more practical ones. You need a 70% to pass these courses. It's a lot of pressure but it's not extremely difficult...there's always a few people every year who don't make it because of these courses but there's basically just a few critical mistakes that you have to avoid making during the tests and you will be fine!

Pass-
Old 01-04-2012 at 07:29 PM   #7
hsu2011

Liked: 0 Times

If people failed the "pass or fail" course, do you know if they can repeat the year or do they just switch into another program? Thanks =)
Old 01-10-2012 at 04:27 PM   #8
Kanksha M

Liked: 0 Times

If you fail a pass or fail course, you would have to re-take it the following year when they are offering it again.
Old 02-19-2012
mjrussell
This message has been removed by a moderator. .