MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Math minor guidance needed.. ralts40(2) Academics 1 07-13-2015 12:55 AM
Questions regarding med school:gpa, english, physics, americal med schools, etc Need2knowme Academics 7 06-11-2012 10:30 AM
Med Rad to Med School kanvi_v30 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-07-2011 05:02 PM
Med Rad Sci and Med School? Sully First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-30-2011 07:04 PM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM

Med School Guidance needed

Old 07-13-2015 at 02:47 PM   #1
White24

Liked: 0 Times

Med School Guidance needed
Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice as to what I should be doing in remaining three years of university to best prepare for the med school application.

I only volunteered in first year. I feel I wasted my first year in terms of extracurricular activities and want to make the best out of remaining 3 years.

I would love to hear from a med school students what he/she did in university.

Thanks so much!
Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!!!!
Old 07-13-2015 at 05:03 PM   #2
topkek

Liked: 23 Times

beg professors for summer research assistant job, so that students who genuinely wants to go into research/grad school can't find a summer RA job.
Old 07-13-2015 at 07:34 PM   #3
danix450

Liked: 2 Times

pursue things that already interest you. you like to play music? maybe learn another instrument, record some songs, play a coffee house. Love to volunteer and help people? Go spend time in a soup kitchen, act as a day care volunteer, work at a summer camp. If you look at the FAQs most med schools say there is no required volunteering, all they want is a rounded individual and how you come to that is up to you!

White24 says thanks to danix450 for this post.
Old 07-13-2015 at 09:23 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

There is no one path to med school, but if anything, you DON'T want to do what everyone else is doing. And honestly, you'd be surprised how good people are at making very few extracurriculars sound so much bigger/better than they really are. What you do isn't as important as how you spin it, unfortunately.

White24 says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 07-16-2015 at 06:02 PM   #5
White24

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks everyone!
How about doing part-time tutoring job? Would it be good for the application?
Old 07-16-2015 at 10:19 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by White24 View Post
Thanks everyone!
How about doing part-time tutoring job? Would it be good for the application?
Well, it's not going to hurt...
Old 07-17-2015 at 08:49 AM   #7
danix450

Liked: 2 Times

if you're going to do something with the intention of improving your application, make sure you're in it for the long run. that shows you have commitment and it looks good. Dabbling in 300 different things for a few months at time is meaningless and looks bad.