OSAP Coverage hogwarts Financial Aid 3 08-12-2012 12:53 PM
Welcome Week Coverage #4 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-08-2008 12:00 AM
Welcome Week Coverage - #3 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 09-02-2008 02:06 PM

Media's coverage on Steubenville rape case

Old 03-18-2013 at 09:49 PM   #1
Ish001

Liked: 26 Times

Media's coverage on Steubenville rape case
I'm not sure if this has been brought up before but when i read this I was appalled.

At the recent verdict of the Steubenville, Ohio, rape case CNN news reporter Poppy Harlow aired her opinion on how hard it was to watch a guilty sentence being handed down.

“It was incredibly emotional, incredibly difficult, even for an outsider like me, to watch what happened as these two young men that had such promising futures, star football players, very good students, literally watched as they believed their lives fell apart,” Harlow reported.

“That will haunt them for the rest of their lives. Employers when looking up their background will see they’re registered sex offenders…neighbours will know they’re registered sex offenders. It’s really something that will have a lasting impact.”

CNN is coming under heavy fire from social media for the remarks made during this case and there are petitions online for an on-air apology. Does it really end there? Spare a moment CNN to think about the 16 year old girl who will live with this for the rest of her life. The entire world knows her story and many judge her because she was at a party and drinking. Is that right?

http://news.nationalpost.com /2013/...ine-firestorm/
Old 03-18-2013 at 10:06 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish001 View Post
I'm not sure if this has been brought up before but when i read this I was appalled.

At the recent verdict of the Steubenville, Ohio, rape case CNN news reporter Poppy Harlow aired her opinion on how hard it was to watch a guilty sentence being handed down.

“It was incredibly emotional, incredibly difficult, even for an outsider like me, to watch what happened as these two young men that had such promising futures, star football players, very good students, literally watched as they believed their lives fell apart,” Harlow reported.

“That will haunt them for the rest of their lives. Employers when looking up their background will see they’re registered sex offenders…neighbours will know they’re registered sex offenders. It’s really something that will have a lasting impact.”

CNN is coming under heavy fire from social media for the remarks made during this case and there are petitions online for an on-air apology. Does it really end there? Spare a moment CNN to think about the 16 year old girl who will live with this for the rest of her life. The entire world knows her story and many judge her because she was at a party and drinking. Is that right?

http://news.nationalpost.com /2013/...ine-firestorm/
See, I read what you just posted, what the news reporter said, and I was appalled. And then I followed a link in the article to this: http://news.nationalpost.com /2013/...investigation/

This story is extremely sympathetic towards the two accused students. Showing pictures of them crying and saying their life is ruined, etc etc, and how their families are standing by them. The victim is barely mentioned, as if she's an object instead of a person...or as the article says, "a toy". Such a contrast with "typical" rape cases where the accused is the bogeyman and you read the victim impact statements and nobody gives a crap that the rapist's life is "over" when he's found guilty (or she, as has been increasing in prevalence lately). But, because this sort of rape is common, and involved teenagers + alcohol, people don't think of it as anywhere near the same level of someone coming out of the bushes and raping someone. After all, how could these good kids from such nice families with such promising futures possibly be grouped with those creepy perverted middle-aged men?!
(That last statement is written with sarcasm).
Old 03-18-2013
eddiemurphy
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 03-18-2013 at 10:10 PM   #3
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

^how is someone asking to be raped if they black out?
Old 03-18-2013 at 10:11 PM   #4
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemurphy View Post
removed
say what now?
Old 03-18-2013 at 10:12 PM   #5
eddiemurphy
Account Locked

Liked: 35 Times

how is someone asking to be hit by a car if theyre just walking into traffic? like, theyre just walking there. theyre not asking. right?
Old 03-18-2013 at 10:17 PM   #6
eddiemurphy
Account Locked

i cant believe theres a petition for this. kids starving around the world, 9/11 being an inside job, and these rape victim/orchestrator sympathizers make a petition? no wonder the elite dumb us down and soft kill us. we kinda deserve it.
Old 03-18-2013 at 10:17 PM   #7
Ish001

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
i dont know what your talking about. i'd still hit it for sure.... but seriously, i think this is overblown. if theres one person asking to be raped, its the girl who drank so much she blacked out. its her fault. sure, those guys are pieces of sh*t, but theyre in jail. the 'embarassment' shes gonna go through is a just punishment for being careless. if you ask me, its like they keep pumping these stories through the illuminati mass media so citizens are worried about the verdict and not worrying about what the puppet masters are doing

will you feel differently if someone you knew and cared about was in a similar position? I don't think this is over hyped. the majority of rape cases never get reported because of fear of stigmatization and such.
Old 03-18-2013 at 10:18 PM   #8
MPEn

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Quote:
i dont know what your talking about. i'd still hit it for sure.... but seriously, i think this is overblown. if theres one person asking to be raped, its the girl who drank so much she blacked out. its her fault. sure, those guys are pieces of sh*t, but theyre in jail. the 'embarassment' shes gonna go through is a just punishment for being careless. if you ask me, its like they keep pumping these stories through the illuminati mass media so citizens are worried about the verdict and not worrying about what the puppet masters are doing
Yes, 'cause victim-blaming is right.... /sarcasm
Old 03-18-2013 at 10:18 PM   #9
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

^lmfao. troll pls? i hope

edit:to ed obv
Old 03-18-2013 at 10:19 PM   #10
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Okay, since you seem to be completely oblivious, it is illegal and completely inappropriate to decide that just because someone is unconscious and/OR unable to stop someone/say no that doesn't mean "yes". By that logic, a severely disabled person who can't say no or stop someone is free game in terms of being raped.

Quote:
how is someone asking to be hit by a car if theyre just walking into traffic? like, theyre just walking there. theyre not asking. right?
Well, the thing is, if the driver INTENDS to hit the person, then they'll get charged with murder.
You don't accidentally rape someone.

Edit: and this is the reason why the majority of rapes are never reported. I don't think the media coverage is helping that any.

Old 03-18-2013 at 10:28 PM   #11
eddiemurphy
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish001 View Post
will you feel differently if someone you knew and cared about was in a similar position? I don't think this is over hyped. the majority of rape cases never get reported because of fear of stigmatization and such.
even if it was my mom, hey mom, you shouldnt be binge drinking and passing out at a party. i hope you dont get raped ma, but like why would you put yourself in that position? theres only gonna be 100 boys with hormones raging. this isnt as bad as the girl who got poop put on her lip and the pictured
Old 03-18-2013 at 10:31 PM   #12
eddiemurphy
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
Okay, since you seem to be completely oblivious, it is illegal and completely inappropriate to decide that just because someone is unconscious and/OR unable to stop someone/say no that doesn't mean "yes". By that logic, a severely disabled person who can't say no or stop someone is free game in terms of being raped.

Well, the thing is, if the driver INTENDS to hit the person, then they'll get charged with murder.
You don't accidentally rape someone.

Edit: and this is the reason why the majority of rapes are never reported. I don't think the media coverage is helping that any.
you dont intentionally give someone aids, but they still get em! the point is you dont put yourself in stupid positions. she was an idiot and paid the price. how are you defending a 16 year old getting drunk, and then more drunk, and then more drunk, until she passes out? did she deserve to get raped? no. does it look good on her? oh yeah. see, im catholic, and if i were here, i wouldve forgave my trespassors. the damage is already done. she just ruined two boys lives cause she was pmsing and told da cops
Old 03-18-2013 at 10:32 PM   #13
eddiemurphy
Account Locked

and how come nobody wants to comment on 9/11 or illuminati? do you guys watch that much much music?
Old 03-18-2013 at 10:33 PM   #14
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
and how come nobody wants to comment on 9/11 or illuminati? do you guys watch that much much music?
Go away please