Media's coverage on Steubenville rape case

Old 03-19-2013 at 10:06 PM   #31
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemurphy View Post
you dont intentionally give someone aids, but they still get em! the point is you dont put yourself in stupid positions. she was an idiot and paid the price. how are you defending a 16 year old getting drunk, and then more drunk, and then more drunk, until she passes out? did she deserve to get raped? no. does it look good on her? oh yeah. see, im catholic, and if i were here, i wouldve forgave my trespassors. the damage is already done. she just ruined two boys lives cause she was pmsing and told da cops
People with your disgusting attitude are a prime example of why so many female university students are worried about being attacked.
(22:09:17) Entropy: k now I need someone else to fill in the void
(22:10:14) ChatBot: Desda logs into the Chat.

Chris23 likes this.
Old 03-19-2013 at 11:29 PM   #32
heygoodlookin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighp View Post
There seems to be some confusion among several members of the MI community (and the media, and generally everyone) about how to react to a girl or woman blacking out from drinking at a party. So I've written you a simple guide:

1) Make sure she is okay - alcohol poisoning can be fatal, she may need medical attention.
2) Roll her onto her side so she doesn't choke on her own vomit (this applies to ANYONE who passes out drinking).
3) Stay with her to make sure she keeps breathing and does not require assistance fending off assholes who want to take advantage of her.

If at any time you feel you can not control your urge to remove your dick from your pants, take off her clothes and/or post pictures of her on the internet, or otherwise sexually assault a person who can neither consent nor offer up any resistance please immediately find a DECENT HUMAN BEING who can take care of her.

This isn't difficult people. Someone who passes out at a party (or wears revealing clothing, or walks alone at night) is not asking to be raped - they are expecting that people are decent and they should not have to fear that every man they meet is a sexual predator.
me and my current boyfriend first 'hook uped' when i was passed out and he IS a decent human being. so speak for yourself

Entropy likes this.
Old 03-20-2013 at 11:27 AM   #33
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

oh man the media made a mistake. let's jump on it and sound like intellectuals while ignoring the fact that some rape doesn't even get mentioned in media.

derp
Old 03-20-2013 at 11:31 AM   #34
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSimon View Post
oh man the media made a mistake. let's jump on it and sound like intellectuals while ignoring the fact that some rape doesn't even get mentioned in media.

derp
this is irrelevant. if media is in the wrong, obviously we can judge them. sure, most rape cases aren't in the media, but that doesnt matter when discussing how the media portrays the cases that actually are covered by the media
Old 03-20-2013 at 12:42 PM   #35
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by heygoodlookin View Post
me and my current boyfriend first 'hook uped' when i was passed out and he IS a decent human being. so speak for yourself
What. The. Fuck?
Please explain.

Kudos, lgdynasty like this.
Old 03-20-2013 at 01:00 PM   #36
Ish001

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:

derp
reasons like these are why most rape cases go unreported.

Ponyo likes this.
Old 03-20-2013 at 01:18 PM   #37
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish001 View Post
reasons like these are why most rape cases go unreported.
nope. it's simply because of the lack of awareness and attention.

but there are right and wrong ways of going about doing things... ie.. slutwalk: wrong, awareness programs and government run ads: right

this is beating a dead horse in every definition of it. everyone has already apologized for what they said about the students.

do I make a thread every time someone is raped and then dies in Evin prison of Iran for writing a blog post? do I make a thread when the basij police of Iran whom commit the rape, have favours done to get their unqualified kids in to Sharif university?

If you want to demonize media, demonize media. But don't think that CNN and the outlets mentioned are hot shit. They aren't, not by millesssssssssss.

Why don't you read something like BBC? You'll find REAL news with them, the AP, and AO.

CNN lost it's creditability when Anderson Cooper and Piers Morgan made it on there. Long gone are the days of the wise & honourable Mr. King...

Lastly, I would like to congratulate you on the difference your thread has made in this world. I woke up today and everything was better. Talk about change!

...?!, Differential like this.
Old 03-20-2013 at 03:02 PM   #38
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:

derp
I think the media tends to not identify the victims of rape out of respect. Also, many rapes aren't as "controversial" as this one, and this one brings to light a very common thing that is occurring amongst teenagers/twenty-somethings.

Suicides aren't typically reported out of respect for the families. That doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about them and it doesn't mean that when there is something more going on than "just" a suicide, it shouldn't be reported on.

Edit: Relevant

Last edited by starfish : 03-20-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Ponyo likes this.
Old 03-20-2013 at 05:10 PM   #39
Ponyo

Liked: 278 Times

to the troll here blaming the girl

on another note it seems like no one liked the girl, all the students are blaming her and the coach is defending the boys? everyone tweeted and texted bad stuff about her, i feel like she was set up by the people in her class. maybe they encouraged her to drink and pass out so they can take advantage of her.

ashleighp, Faer, jim1, starfish like this.
Old 03-20-2013 at 05:26 PM   #40
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

I think one of the most important things to focus on is the fact that this girls life has changed forever whether these boys "meant" to or not. Rape isn't something that men or women just "get over" right away and I cannot imagine how this poor girl and her family are going to move forward considering the widespread media attention and the judgement from so many people who don't know even them, including us. No matter how this is skewed she truly is the ultimate victim in this situation and it's horrible.
(22:09:17) Entropy: k now I need someone else to fill in the void
(22:10:14) ChatBot: Desda logs into the Chat.

ashleighp, jim1 like this.
Old 03-20-2013 at 07:54 PM   #41
airvcarmelo

Liked: 42 Times

She was probably so drunk asked for it, the guys did it. The girl felt embarrassed and couldn't remember much and claimed rape. These guys were star football players in the south, girls would break their back to get with them why would they rape this one chick.
Old 03-20-2013 at 08:13 PM   #42
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by airvcarmelo View Post
She was probably so drunk asked for it, the guys did it. The girl felt embarrassed and couldn't remember much and claimed rape. These guys were star football players in the south, girls would break their back to get with them why would they rape this one chick.
She was unconscious. She didn't even know exactly what had happened until she saw the videos.

And as for your last statement, yes, because that's all any female teenager in the South wants, is to sleep with the entire high school football team. Being raped and having it videotaped and pictures of it sent around to everyone and their mother, that was just an added bonus.

I'd strongly recommend you take a look at the link I posted earlier. You can see the video, photos and some of the comments for yourself.

And it's comments like yours, attitudes like that that are the entire problem.

bsarah, Ponyo like this.
Old 03-20-2013 at 08:17 PM   #43
airvcarmelo

Liked: 42 Times

The girl probably led them on in some way, theres no possibility of that? I'm not saying that but it isn't uncommon that girls would want to date that star player of a football them who is going to be a celebrity one day. All I'm saying is you don't know the full story the girl could've led him on. That happened to a person I knew, the girl led him on he made a move, next day it was considered rape...
Old 03-20-2013 at 08:25 PM   #44
Ponyo

Quote:

jim1 likes this.
Old 03-20-2013 at 08:28 PM   #45
Ponyo

Quote:
The girl probably led them on in some way, theres no possibility of that? I'm not saying that but it isn't uncommon that girls would want to date that star player of a football them who is going to be a celebrity one day. All I'm saying is you don't know the full story the girl could've led him on. That happened to a person I knew, the girl led him on he made a move, next day it was considered rape...
that was your friend this is a different story
read all the articles inform yourself of all the facts then make an assumption
PS: the leaked texts 100% proved that they raped here and she didn't ask for it b.c she was unconscious

starfish says thanks to Ponyo for this post.