Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OSAP Coverage hogwarts Financial Aid 3 08-12-2012 12:53 PM
Welcome Week Coverage #4 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-08-2008 12:00 AM
Welcome Week Coverage - #3 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 09-02-2008 02:06 PM

Media's coverage on Steubenville rape case

Old 03-20-2013 at 08:29 PM   #46
airvcarmelo

Liked: 42 Times

She should still be accountable for her actions as well. She put herself in the situation, whether she asked for it or didn't isn't known and you cannot proceed with the thought that she did not ask for it. If she can't be held responsible technically people cannot be held responsible for drinking and driving...
Old 03-20-2013 at 08:31 PM   #47
airvcarmelo

Liked: 42 Times

Actually checked it out, and saw for myself change my opinion. I didn't really care to look up the video not really something im interested in watching. I guess I'm just really upset about women calling rape after leading someone on...
Old 03-20-2013 at 08:47 PM   #48
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by airvcarmelo View Post
She should still be accountable for her actions as well. She put herself in the situation, whether she asked for it or didn't isn't known and you cannot proceed with the thought that she did not ask for it. If she can't be held responsible technically people cannot be held responsible for drinking and driving...
I don't think you can compare this to D&D at all.
I think it's better to presume that the victim is innocent until proven guilty...which is what her rapists get, but apparently she doesn't even deserve that? Yeah, you may not know all the facts, but based on one experience your friend had, that doesn't mean people don't actually get raped through no fault of their own.
Yes, it probably wasn't the smartest thing in the world for her to get that drunk (I'm assuming date-rape has been ruled out since there was a whole investigation, but idk for sure), but it's also not ideal to be walking down a sketchy street at night, but if some guy jumps out of the bushes and rapes you no one would say it's your fault. Unless you happened to be wearing a certain type of clothing. Which is a whole other issue all on its own.

Quote:
Actually checked it out, and saw for myself change my opinion. I didn't really care to look up the video not really something im interested in watching. I guess I'm just really upset about women calling rape after leading someone on...
Yeah I didn't have any desire to watch the video either...the other stuff in the article is more than enough to get the point across. Glad you read it though

Keep in mind too that "leading someone on" is subjective. Your friend may have interpreted it incorrectly; either party has the right to change their mind about what's happening at any point, and this woman may have changed her mind and he didn't stop; people flirt all the time without it automatically meaning "lets have sex!". You probably don't know the whole story in your friend's case, either, especially if he is the one who told it to you. There are so many things that could have happened, and to take something like that (even if it's entirely true) and assume that any girl who says she was raped is lying until proven otherwise is just wrong.
Old 03-20-2013 at 08:47 PM   #49
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

Oh wow, some people are REALLY not getting this. Let Laci Green spell it out for you in this video, because maybe your reading comprehension is not quite up to snuff.

sarahsullz says thanks to ashleighp for this post.

Old 03-20-2013 at 11:00 PM  
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Warning: This post has been reported
This post has been flagged as violating the MacInsiders Code Of Conduct, and is being reviewed by one of our staff. It may contain offensive material. Click here to view.

Old 03-20-2013 at 11:31 PM   #50
Ponyo

Liked: 278 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
I think we are all missing the really important context of this thread... the girl who claims that the first time she hooked up with her bf she was passed out??? haha what a guy....
she said he is nice so nothing wrong
doesn't sound creepy to me at all ... making out with someone who is passed out
without their consent ...
Old 03-21-2013 at 12:08 AM   #51
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyo View Post
she said he is nice so nothing wrong
doesn't sound creepy to me at all ... making out with someone who is passed out
without their consent ...
well unless this girl doesnt have a solid understanding of the basic base numbers, hooking up is a bit more than making out ponyo
but yeah, any nice guy would hook up with a girl when she is out cold, all best relationships start that way right?
Old 03-21-2013 at 09:00 AM   #52
heygoodlookin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleighp View Post
Oh wow, some people are REALLY not getting this. Let Laci Green spell it out for you in this video, because maybe your reading comprehension is not quite up to snuff.

ummm your in humanities! so before you start acting better then everyone else get a real degree! lmao

Chris23 says thanks to heygoodlookin for this post.

Chris23 likes this.
Old 03-21-2013 at 09:07 AM   #53
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by heygoodlookin View Post
ummm your in humanities! so before you start acting better then everyone else get a real degree! lmao
First off, it's you're. And it's none of your business to judge other people. Looks like you need some grammar lessons lol
Old 03-21-2013 at 09:24 AM   #54
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

Quote:
You're pretty clearly a troll, but I'm going to do this anyway. I believe what you were trying to convey is:

"Um, you're a student in the Humanities faculty! So before you start acting like you are better than everyone else, get a real degree! Derp, I'm not even actually a McMaster student but just like to hide behind the veil of anonymity the internet provides and get my kicks degrading people based on their educational interests and gender."

Yeah, that sounds about right. P.S. What I said about reading comprehension... you should probably work on that, Geography and Environmental Studies is a social science.

jim1, starfish all say thanks to ashleighp for this post.
Old 03-21-2013 at 09:34 AM  
heygoodlookin
Account Disabled by User

at least you never need to worry about boys trying to take advantage of you
Old 03-21-2013 at 09:54 AM   #55
heygoodlookin
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
First off, it's you're. And it's none of your business to judge other people. Looks like you need some grammar lessons lol
looks like you're have a lot of free time. you cant judge me so you cant judge my grammar.
Old 03-21-2013 at 09:58 AM   #56
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
looks like you're have a lot of free time. you cant judge me so you cant judge my grammar.

Old 03-21-2013 at 12:38 PM   #57
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

Quote:
The girl probably led them on in some way, theres no possibility of that? I'm not saying that but it isn't uncommon that girls would want to date that star player of a football them who is going to be a celebrity one day. All I'm saying is you don't know the full story the girl could've led him on. That happened to a person I knew, the girl led him on he made a move, next day it was considered rape...
the chances of them becoming celebrities is low as fuck even if they were the best on their team. and i doubt she led em on. the two guys messed around with her in front of their peers. and why would she lead 2 guys on at once? if she was then one of the guys wouldve been a bro and gave the other guy a chance with her. they wouldnt go at once and take turns banging. that all seems unlikely.
Old 03-23-2013 at 11:33 AM   #58
Animosity

Liked: 46 Times

Aside from trolls and people that just hate the victim most people don't think rape is ever acceptable or excusable. The issue is that not everyone defines rape to be the same thing. Let's look at the extreme of both ends. On one end you have someone that was beaten and held down by multiple rapists, everyone would agree that this is rape. On the other hand you might have someone that had sex with their date, but the didn't really want to, they didn't say yes with there words, but they were still sort of into it and got caught in the moment, but they regretted it later. Not everyone would consider that to be rape, and as you can imagine there is a variety of possibilities in between. Often people read physical signs if they get no verbal signs, and if there are obvious enough physical signs, like the girl taking off her clothes, people assume no verbal confirmation is needed, which you can disagree with, but still. I find that people have the most disagreement on what is rape and what isn't when there is no physical violence involved.

Another issue (the reason we need the court) is that nobody knows for certain what actually happened. However, it's pretty easy to see, without hearing much of the story or evidence, that the guys involved are really bad people, which makes it easy to not care about any of the details, throw them in jail you might say, they deserve it either way.

The Steubenville case seems to fall somewhere in the middle of what is perceived as rape; depending on the evidence you look at, and how you interpret it.

Here is an article with the text messages that were sent between the boys,

http://www.mobilebroadcastne ws.com...lle-Rape-Trial

From this it's hard to tell how "dead" she really was. At some points they say she was dead, but we know for a fact that they are exaggerating, the question is how much. Was she passed out, or did she just look out of it? I don't want to get into the graphic details here, but they go onto say things that would suggest she was awake while it happened, and that she actually physically participate (in a very minor way). It also says that she went looking for her phone after, which comes into the victims story.

http://www.theatlanticwire.c om/nat...stimony/63192/

She says here that she was interested in Trent Mays, the accused, which makes it seem more likely that she would have sex with him consensually. However, she goes onto say that the last thing she remembers is leaving the first party, and then waking up and looking for her phone, and that would imply that she was passed out for a time, which would mean she was raped. Again though, people tend to forget things when they drink a lot, for example we know that she didn't pass out right when she left the party.
The victim original sent at text to the accused saying "We know you didn't rape me" but later said that she didn't know that digital penetration was also considered rape.

So before you scream at someone for not instantly taking the victims side know that there is some evidence to support both sides.