MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Faculty and Program Series Part Nine: The Arts and Sciences Program lorend Academics 0 09-20-2009 08:16 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Seven: Medical Radiation Sciences Program jhan523 Faculty & Program Series 1 09-05-2009 12:53 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Two: The Indigenous Studies Program lorend Faculty & Program Series 9 08-24-2009 02:56 PM

Medical Program Info

Old 05-20-2010 at 04:15 PM   #31
vman93

Liked: 0 Times

I visited the website but what I want to keep my other options open as well. Like Medical Schools in rest of Canada. Is there a special website that lists all the requirements? Because the Ontario schools one was perfect adn I got all the info I needed on that website? I want to know the same thing about uni's like UofManitoba or UBC? Can you help me out? Thanks
Old 05-20-2010 at 04:39 PM   #32
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman93 View Post
I visited the website but what I want to keep my other options open as well. Like Medical Schools in rest of Canada. Is there a special website that lists all the requirements? Because the Ontario schools one was perfect adn I got all the info I needed on that website? I want to know the same thing about uni's like UofManitoba or UBC? Can you help me out? Thanks
Just search up each university's website.
Old 05-26-2010 at 08:55 PM   #33
vman93

Thank you for your reply. I was wondering, if I tok all the required courses for MCAT and appeared for it but did not make it through what other options will I have? Are there other programs that require the same courses?
Old 05-26-2010 at 09:18 PM   #34
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. I was wondering, if I tok all the required courses for MCAT and appeared for it but did not make it through what other options will I have? Are there other programs that require the same courses?
The MCAT doesn't have any "requirements" in order to take the test.

You should also be taking courses required by your program because you will want to graduate in case you don't get into medical school.
Old 05-26-2010 at 09:20 PM   #35
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Rewrite the MCAT? A few people have written it multiple times, especially since it was computerized.

To be honest, if you're aiming for med school most of the other alternatives are fairly attainable because you should have good marks, good experience and good reference letters.

That said, medical school isn't your only option. Most people who enter university in the hopes of becoming a doctor don't get admitted. Make sure you pick an undergraduate program that you enjoy and look up alternatives in health care (OT, PT, Optometry, Chiropractor, Naturopathic Doctor, Speech Therapy, Clinical Psychology, Nursing, Physicians Assistant, Masters - doing clinical research) to keep your options open.

emtee10 likes this.
Old 05-26-2010 at 09:23 PM   #36
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
The MCAT doesn't have any "requirements" in order to take the test.

You should also be taking courses required by your program because you will want to graduate in case you don't get into medical school.
there are no 'requirements' but it's a good idea to take bio chem math physics and the first organic chemistry. You can learn the concepts without the course but it's probably easier with it. But yeah in general you can apply to other professional schools / grad programs with a science degree. the thing with applying to grad school though is some require that you have a certain amount of lab time (if that's what you wish to pursue), and certain professional schools require specific courses.
Old 05-26-2010 at 09:27 PM   #37
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz.Morra13 View Post
there are no 'requirements' but it's a good idea to take bio chem math physics and the first organic chemistry. You can learn the concepts without the course but it's probably easier with it. But yeah in general you can apply to other professional schools / grad programs with a science degree. the thing with applying to grad school though is some require that you have a certain amount of lab time (if that's what you wish to pursue), and certain professional schools require specific courses.
Yeah, but they are all first year courses except for organic chemistry. If you are in science then chances are you have to take all of them anyways.

It should also be noted that the requirements for medical school in the states are much higher than what you need to pass the MCAT, the same can be said for all the other professional schools.
Old 05-26-2010 at 11:10 PM   #38
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Just to clear up a few things.

Program: There is no specific undergraduate program that is required for medicine. Students with a B.A. are eligible as long as they have the necessary prerequisites (NB: This year, all Ontario schools dropped their prereqs except Ottawa). Don't limit yourself, apply for programs that you're interested in.

Grad/Professional Schools: For some schools, lab experience is helpful. You don't need to be in a science program to get lab experience, you may be able to find a summer job as a research assistant. For other schools (like a Masters in Public Health) or Occupational Therapy/Physiotherapy, your volunteer/life experiences are far more important.

MCAT: There are no required courses. Taking some courses like physics and chemistry may make it easier, but high school knowledge + prep books are also sufficient. First year biology was kind of useless and you don't need math. Second year organic chemistry teaches you more than you need to know and you can scrape by without it.

Marks: Currently, most admitted applicants have a high 3.7 or above (two best or cGPA). Always aim higher due to inflation. That said, Canadian schools are more holistic than American schools, so being well rounded is more important than an amazingly high GPA.

Extracurriculars: (Quote stolen from the pm101 forums)
Quote:
A strong GPA alone will not necessary secure you a spot at med but a weak GPA alone can destroy you completely.
Make sure you do extracurricular activities that you enjoy. You'll need to articulate what you've learned from your experiences and/or why you participated in activity X. Being passionate about what you're involved with is essential. Someone mentioned something about certificates/LOR for ECs, for the most part you'll just need your supervisor's contact information so that they can be used as verifiers when you apply

Last bit, make sure you want to go into medicine for the right reasons. Perhaps it's just a few of the comments that I've read (e.g. your dad making you research post graduate medical schools), but don't let anyone pressure you into medical school. It's a huge investment (time and money wise) if it's not something that you want.

If you want to study medicine, I wish you the best. Just remember that you're still in grade 11 so be sure you enjoy your time in high school. It's really not necessary to worry this much about graduate school (at this point) because your interests may change when you get to university. Get involved with things that you enjoy: sports, clubs, volunteering and things will work out.

That was totally tl;dr.

Last edited by Lij : 05-27-2010 at 12:21 AM. Reason: grammarz
Old 05-26-2010 at 11:30 PM   #39
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

^^^ this

macsci likes this.
Old 05-27-2010 at 05:55 PM   #40
vman93

hahaha...thank you so much. I will definitly enjoy my high school years and keep up my grades. I'll keep all of your recommendations in mind. I have got a lot of answers from this forum and want to thank everyone. I will keep looking into the uindergrad poragm that I am interested in.
Old 05-27-2010 at 07:43 PM   #41
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Some articles you may wish to consider reading:

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1858 6
http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1891 6
http://talentegg.ca/incubator/2009/0...ld-you-choose/

All three involve going to med school, and one recently-graduated (earlier this month) doctor.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-14-2010 at 08:08 PM   #42
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

Right now, I'm going into Engineering and hopefully the Biomed and Electrical Stream. I am trying to keep myself open to the possibility of medical school. Other than CHEM 1AA3 the only other required chem course is CHEM 2E03. From browsing these threads, it seems that CHEM 2E03 is like CHEM 2OA3 except it has no labs and cover less material.

My question is if CHEM 2E03 would be good course to fufill the chemistry requirements many medical schools have ( Yes I know Mac has none, but for other schools) ?
Old 06-14-2010 at 08:45 PM   #43
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPack View Post
Right now, I'm going into Engineering and hopefully the Biomed and Electrical Stream. I am trying to keep myself open to the possibility of medical school. Other than CHEM 1AA3 the only other required chem course is CHEM 2E03. From browsing these threads, it seems that CHEM 2E03 is like CHEM 2OA3 except it has no labs and cover less material.

My question is if CHEM 2E03 would be good course to fufill the chemistry requirements many medical schools have ( Yes I know Mac has none, but for other schools) ?
Not all schools require an Organic Chem component. Look into the academic requirements at the schools you'd like to attend and check if they require 1 or 2 semesters of Orgo as well as if the lab component is needed or not.
Old 07-29-2010 at 02:01 PM   #44
vman93

Hi again eveyrone......I am happy to be posting on MacInsiders again...it really helped me out a whe lot the ast time I was on this..so I was hoping to get answers to a few more questions....I wanted to get inot the Life Sciences program adn through that I want to get into Med School..by taking the required courses as my elecitve....when will I be able to choose those ore? Is it like High School where you take a certain number of compulsary courses and a few electives? And also what degree will I be earning if I finish the Life Sciences program? I also heard tht Life Sciences had 2 categories? Can you please tell me the differnces between those 2??? thanks a lot
Old 07-29-2010 at 02:11 PM   #45
neila.b

Liked: 13 Times

I know this was a while ago, but just in regards to the Orgo pre-req...it's true that it's not a pre-req for many programs, but the ones that do ask for it require a lab component (so 2OA3/2OB3). This is especially true for the States, where a large number of schools require you to have a full year of Orgo with labs (amongst other things, obviously).