MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
MedRadSc 1C03 eycc11 1st Year Course Reviews 4 03-06-2012 08:58 PM
Anyone selling 2nd year MedRadSc textbooks? jaym Academics 1 07-25-2010 03:34 PM
Anybody dropping Linguistics (1A03), MMedia (1A03, 1B03), or HLTH AGE (1AA3, 1BB3)? MacDaddy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-15-2010 06:48 PM
MedRadSc 1B03 eycc11 1st Year Course Reviews 1 06-04-2010 02:56 PM

MedRadSc 1A03

Intro to Medical Radiation Sciences
Published by eycc11
06-24-2009
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
60%60%60%
Professor Rating
50%50%50%
Interest
60%60%60%
Easiness
70%70%70%
Average 60%
I took this course in 2007/08 with Leslie Marshall as my instructor. It was a 3-unit course over the entire year. Term 1 lectures, once a week, involved guest speakers and attendance was always taken (I don't think it counted towards anything). Majority of the work was assigned in Term 2 when we had 3 lectures each week. (I heard this has changed…to having to do work during both terms.)

This course basically gives you a general idea of what “Medical Radiation Sciences” is, what each imaging modality is like (Ultrasound, X-ray, MRI, CT, Nuclear Medicine), and what Radiation Therapy is. It really helped me decide which specialization I wanted to go into. I also learned a lot of medical terminology, and we discussed a LOT about the Canadian health care system. This course wasn’t always enjoyable, but it was (and still is) mandatory if you're in the Med Rad program.

MARK BREAKDOWN
Individual Essay: 25%
Group Poster/Presentation: 30%
Quizzes: 4 x 5% = 20%
Exam: 25%

How your essay/poster/presentation is marked will really depend on which instructor you have (like all other courses, really). The essay was on the Canadian health care system, while the group assignment was very similar to the MedRadSc 1B03 assignment. Each group was assigned/got to pick a body system and had to research the modalities that are normally used to image it. But for the quizzes and the exam, you just have to know your stuff. IMO, the tedious exercises in the Language of Medicine textbook really helped.

TEXTBOOKS
1. Language of Medicine (Chabner)
2. Course Manual
3. Mosby’s Medical, Nursing, & Allied Health Dictionary (I found this unnecessary)

TheMist, twitterbird all say thanks to eycc11 for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for MedRadSc 1A03!

Old 07-03-2009 at 05:42 AM   #2
hellonewyork

Liked: 27 Times
is this the same thing as med phys 1a03?
Old 07-03-2009 at 11:19 AM   #3
eycc11

Liked: 7 Times
I think you're talking about MedPhys 1E03, which is different from MedRadSc 1A03.
Old 12-27-2009 at 01:25 PM   #4
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times
I just finished up this course recently, and the breakdown has sort of changed.

4 Online Quizzes (each worth 5%), making it a total of 20%.
Midterm 20%
Group Presentation 30%
Final 30%

The instructor is still Leslie Marshall.

Quizzes: They're based off readings from Chabner on medical terminology. Since the quizzes are online and he has no way of checking if you're cheating/collaborating, most end up doing the 15 minute quizzes with the book in front of them. However, it is still good to study beforehand to alleviate the amount to study come midterm or final exam.

Midterm: Not hard. But study everything, especially the imaging/therapeutic modalities (Ultrasound, Radiography, and Radiation Therapy).

Group Presentation: A 15 minute presentation about the modalities used to image and/or treat certain organ/organ systems in the body. A lot of factors to take in consideration. The TA's mark the presentation (not Marshall), and others have told me they can be tough. Also, I had friends who were really unfortunate being in groups of people who don't do their fair share well enough, or at all.

I'm going to put this in caps. SHOW UP FOR EVERY PRESENTATION. Marks deducted if you don't.

Final: Very easy. I had 94 questions in 2 hours, and I got it done in just over half an hour, because I spent a good two days on it. Like the midterm, just study everything. The terminology section of the exam covered a lot of pathologies, so look into that.

Conclusion
I ended up getting a 12 in the course. This course is easy if you put time into it.

Last edited by _Luu_ : 12-27-2009 at 01:37 PM.

TheMist says thanks to _Luu_ for this post.

Old 07-15-2010 at 04:37 PM   #5
Sm:)e

Liked: 0 Times
Does this course have a lab compenent?
It says so on the mcmaster mocktimetable website and there is a lab time given but this website: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...884.html#50844 says there are only core and tutorial times..so I'm not sure if it does :S
Old 07-15-2010 at 04:42 PM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm:)e View Post
It says so on the mcmaster mocktimetable website and there is a lab time given but this website: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /calen...884.html#50844 says there are only core and tutorial times..so I'm not sure if it does :S
They may have changed the course this year. If it's on the Master Timetable then it has a lab component. But the Master Timetable could change. You should just wait until you get your schedule on August 9th.
Old 07-15-2010 at 09:38 PM   #7
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sm:)e View Post
There isn't a concrete lab time for this course. Last year I had class on Monday at 8:30 and a tutorial at 10:30 on Friday. The lab time was either Wednesday at 8:30 am or 5:30 pm. If they say it's 8:30 class on Wednesday you have to attend, then go to that one and you won't have to go to the 5:30 session, and vice versa.

TheMist says thanks to _Luu_ for this post.
Old 07-19-2010 at 06:03 PM   #8
Sm:)e

thanks! that helps a lot
Old 08-07-2012 at 07:13 PM   #9
M3L155AKAY

How is the prof? Leslie Marshall?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search