MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MedRadSci First year Hongmon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 09-14-2011 02:19 PM
1srt year MedRadSci Katydid Introduce Yourself 10 08-10-2011 01:28 PM
MedRadSci textbooks twitterbird Academics 0 12-11-2009 11:22 PM

is MedRadSci hard??

Old 11-24-2013 at 07:29 PM   #1
sidra_

Liked: 2 Times

is MedRadSci hard??
i really want to go into MedRadSci but i heard that this program is super difficult (after engineering of course) so this made me really scared :s is the math and physics really that hard? and what happens if you fail a course?

FutureMEDRAD likes this.
Old 11-25-2013 at 04:01 AM   #2
FutureMEDRAD

Liked: 1 Time

Hello! Im in my first year of medical radiation science here at mcmaster.

Difficulty depends on the person. But don't let it stop you from choosing what you want to go into.

No matter what program you choose, there will be hard work ahead. It depends what you see yourself doing in the future.

the physics is not that bad IF you took it in grade 11 and/or 12. if you didn't take it at all... then you will have a little difficulty. but its obviously possible to do it... you just have to read over the notes, read the textbook if that helps you. the midterm for physics was 17 multiple choice ... involving calculations in one or two steps with ALL of the formulas given. the midterm wasn't the best for everyone... but as in the past with this course... the exam is worth MUCH more... and its supposed to be 3920379230 times easier. so don't worry about it / let it change your mind

the calculus... there are 4 tests.. and they take your top 3 (each of the three tests are worth 20%, so tests are in total worth 60%) and rest (40%) is your exam. its all mainly review from high school calculus with a few things added. as long as you do the assignments(homework) (which aren't marked) and read the notes you will do good on the tests. the assignment questions tend to make up a big part of the test so if you reviewed them, your good.after test 4 ... you learn new things (integration) so you need to be on top of your game.

medrad is a wonderful program.. if you see yourself in one of the specializations.

sidra_ says thanks to FutureMEDRAD for this post.

sidra_ likes this.
Old 11-25-2013 at 10:49 AM   #3
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

math and physics is barely done in medrad. it shouldnt be much of an issue. if you fail medrad specific programs, you fall behind 1 year in the program. those are the courses you should be worried about.

sidra_ says thanks to Silver for this post.

sidra_ likes this.
Old 11-25-2013 at 12:15 PM   #4
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Retention rate at the end of first year is about 70%. Meaning, 30% will drop/fail/switch to another program. After specialization, a few people will fail/drop per specialization at the end of first semester and second semester. For ultrasound last year, 3 people failed out at the end if first semester, none after second. In radiography, the biggest specialization, 7-8 dropped during 1st and second (can't remember numbers), and none dropped out of radiation therapy, the smallest specialization.

If you fail a course that is a prerequisite for a course during your next semester or for clinical placement (summer of year II, first and second semester of year IV), you will be removed from the program with the opportunity (but not guarantee) of re-entry next year. For ultrasound's 3 students who dropped out, one did not attempt to return and the other two did. Of the latter, one was unable to and switched to some other MoMac program (Physician's assistant, I think, but don't quote me), and the other was also unable to and hasn't been around.

Also, you need a certain average at the end of Year I to progress to Year II. I forget what it is, but you can probably look it up in the undergraduate course calendar (Google it).

Protip: Don't go into rad therapy unless that's your dream job and the only thing you can imagine doing for the rest of your life. At the lastest MedradSci Committee Meeting (Faculty+local hospitals, etc.), the job prospects for rad therapy were described as terrible by people in charge of clinical placements and, later on, hiring. If a job opening comes up in Ontario, it's guaranteed to have 80 applicants, minimum.

Lastly, don't pick a program because of what's "easy." Pick going on whether or not you will at least somewhat enjoy the job that it will prepare you for, especially for such specialized programs. Programs are only a few years, but your career is the rest of your life until retirement. Think long term, not "will my classes be easy." If you have trouble, there are plenty of resources to help you. If you need further support, there are counselors to assist you in maintaining your mental health and there is absolutely nothing wrong with seeking them out. Sure it may not be easy, but most likely, you can do it. Best of luck.

SOURCE: I'm a student rep on the committee.

sidra_ says thanks to Amaryll for this post.

sidra_ likes this.
Old 11-27-2013 at 05:29 PM   #5
sidra_

Liked: 2 Times

wow thank you guys sooo much!

@FutureMEDRAD thanks for the info on the math and physics!! that was a big help!

@Silver Thank You!

@Amaryll thanks for the really detailed answer! i really appreciate it! i was actually thinking about specializing in Radiation therapy but i probably won't be doing that anymore haha and I'll check what the average is to pass first year

FutureMEDRAD likes this.