Meet The Candidates Series Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-04-2008 02:13 AM

Meet The Candidates - Casey

Old 02-02-2010 at 12:11 AM   #1
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Meet The Candidates - Casey
1. Which platform point is your main priority and why?

The 8 Hour Promise is the key platform point of mine. My entire philosophy of how I would go about the role of the MSU President is bringing the position back to the role of a student leader first and foremost. Spending 8 hours out of the 40 hour work week of the MSU President outside of the office and informally communicating with students will make sure that this happens. While polls and surveys might have their place, the MSU can do much better work representing students when students are able to build a relationship with their President and comfortably approach them with concerns.

2. What experience do you have that demonstrates how you are most qualified to fulfill the role of MSU president?

My breadth of experience here at McMaster in several capacities make me undoubtedly the most qualified candidate to fill the role of the MSU President.

I have extensive experience with Welcome Week which has absolutely helped me develop skills to relate to students. I have been a Maroons Welcome Week Representative, a Health Sciences Welcome Week Rep and Planner, and Faculty-Wide Welcome Week Planner.

As for my positions that have given me the experience to step in as the C.E.O. of the MSU on day one, I have held several positions within the MSU. As External Affairs Commissioner, I learned how to advocate effectively for student needs to the provincial and federal government. As SRA House Leader, I have learned the ins-and-outs of the student government. However, my most important experience that sets me apart from other candidates is my two-terms on the MSU's Executive Board. I have an in-depth knowledge of what long-term planning goals the MSU needs and what projects are financially and practically viable for the MSU.

3. A difficult situation arises and you find that you strongly believe that the best thing for the MSU is not the same thing as what the majority of the students think. What do you do?

I am hopeful, and call me an optimist all you want, that the 8 Hour Promise will avoid this conflict. By ensuring that I know the wants and needs of students from building relationships with them, this conflict will be avoided.The MSU should always be acting in the best interest in students and never in organizational self-interest.

4. Many students on campus feel that these elections are bogus; that the MSU president doesn't contribute much to their educational experience. What do you say to this? How will you seek to change these attitudes, if you do plan on doing this?

I know that I am the right candidate to make students actually care about what the MSU can do for them. Students don't want a talking head in office; they want a real student leader in office. By making the MSU Presidency applicable to the everyday lives of students on a weekly basis, I do believe that students attitudes towards the MSU will change.

As for the overall undergraduate educational experience, I've received a world class education from the Health Sciences program. However, students should all receive the same caliber education I have. Patrick Deane is coming to McMaster with a Liberal Arts background and a knowledge of improvements that must be made to quality of education. I will work with my VP Education to ensure that ground is broken on improvements both at McMaster and at the provincial/federal governmental levels for the Liberal Arts.

5. Buttered toast always lands butter side down. A cat always lands on its feet. What happens when you butter the back of a cat?

You'd probably get the humane society called on you. Jerk.

6. There have been many concerns over the efficability of the SRA and the MSU's ability to locally advocate for students. You often hear "the SRA doesn't do anything." What plans to you have ensure that next year's SRA will improve in this aspect.

As SRA House Leader, I found that the Assembly was focused more on internal bickering and working on esoteric policies that are not applicable to the everyday lives of students. The SRA needs to continue work on becoming relevant in the lives of students and I will be working with the VP Administration and SRA House Leader next year to make sure that large-scale projects that I have proposed including the Fees Review and targeted improvements to UTS servers have both buy in from the Assembly as well as Assembly members being empowered into taking on these projects to better student life at McMaster.

7. What concrete plans to you have to improve communication between the MSU and students.

I've talked about the 8 Hour Promise ad nauseum, so I do believe that an overall holistic approach in communications is necessary. Both informally chatting with students and press releases have value and the MSU must be forward thinking of using all its resources available especially with the advent of social networking.

For lack of a better word, students will be able to stalk me on Twitter/Facebook next year with ease.

8. The MSU is supposed to provide services and be the voice for students, yet is also expected to make money with some businesses. When do you feel one may be sacrificed for the other?

The MSU has profit-generating business units to better provide student services and be the voice for students. It's this tandem relationship that is absolutely paramount to a functioning MSU and neither should be sacrificed. Neither can be sacrificed for the other without drastic repercussions.

9. What is your stance on making McMaster a greener, more environmentally friendly campus?

I have two practical solutions to making McMaster a more sustainable and environmentally friendly campus:

First off, I want to work with the Office of Sustainability to have an advertising campaign that will teach everyone at McMaster how to properly recycle. The unfortunate reality is that if a bottle of pop that is half-full with liquid is thrown into a recycling bag, that entire bag is considered contaminated and cannot be recycled by the university's private waste disposal company.

Another solution is working with Facility Services to make sure that lights that are within buildings are shut off at night. Currently lights are kept on many buildings for safety concerns on campus, however, night staff are not vigilant in turning off lights internally in buildings. Changing this policy with the university will be an environmental focus of mine.

Matt Wright likes this.