MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Happy Holidays from MacInsiders! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 26 12-25-2009 03:05 PM
Christmas Holidays Katia General Discussion 14 12-06-2009 01:28 PM
Merry Christmas! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 12-25-2008 11:14 AM

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays

Old 12-10-2010 at 04:13 PM   #16
bigmac

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91 View Post
I say Merry Christmas.
If people get butthurt, you move into our country and expect us to cater to YOUR holidays? **** off
that's inconsiderate. we live in a country where we praise multiculturism and encourage it - why shouldn't we "cater" to all cultures/religions and respect their identity?

SilentWalker likes this.
Old 12-10-2010 at 04:17 PM   #17
Jamalf

Liked: 49 Times

whats the point of posts being deleted by moderators if you can still see what they said if they were quoted by someone
Old 12-10-2010 at 04:25 PM   #18
bauhaual

Liked: 0 Times

I say Merry Christmas because 'I' celebrate christmas. If i say it to you and u dont celebrate christmas then just take it as a nice greeting. We're being nice and friendly when we say it.

Its not like its intended to offend people.
Old 12-10-2010 at 04:51 PM   #19
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
I say Merry Christmas.
If people get butthurt, you move into our country and expect us to cater to YOUR holidays? **** off
you're retarded, christmas does not define canada

xxsumz says thanks to ShouldBeStudying for this post.
Old 12-10-2010 at 05:04 PM   #20
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

Quote:
I say Merry Christmas.
Are your serious? Canada and christianity are not contingent.

America has made christianity less of a religious event and more of a loosely 'cultural' event; and now expects everyone to welcome it with open arms. And this is why Christmas is so big in N.A., and N.A.-influenced countries. It's been commercialized, as is done to everything possible, by Americans.

And now, it's created a social debate. On one side, when someone says "Oh, sorry I don't celebrate Christmas" you get the argument that it's not about the religious aspect, it's about the unity and warmth and gift giving. On the other side, you have the people that are angry with N.A. having taken the religious aspect out of Christmas and made it a money-making opportunity.

Personally, I don't say anything. If I do, I'd probably say, "Have a good holiday", just like with spring-break and summer. I think America should stop shitting-up (read: messing with so that it'll rain money from the heavens) everything.

Last edited by SilentWalker : 12-10-2010 at 05:12 PM.

bigmac likes this.
Old 12-10-2010 at 06:03 PM   #21
Buszaj

Liked: 125 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
that's inconsiderate. we live in a country where we praise multiculturism and encourage it - why shouldn't we "cater" to all cultures/religions and respect their identity?
It's not inconsiderate. If anything, it's inconsiderate of people coming to Canada with this view. (Not that the majority of people even do). You can't go to a foreign country and expect everything to be changed for you, just to be "nice". This "catering" and changing of names of religious holidays angers me so much. Not to mention that the religion that Canada was founded on/with is Christianity.
Old 12-10-2010 at 06:07 PM   #22
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buszaj View Post
It's not inconsiderate. If anything, it's inconsiderate of people coming to Canada with this view. (Not that the majority of people even do). You can't go to a foreign country and expect everything to be changed for you, just to be "nice". This "catering" and changing of names of religious holidays angers me so much. Not to mention that the religion that Canada was founded on/with is Christianity.
Lol. If you haven't noticed, Canadian or American Christmases have nothing to do with Christianity.
Old 12-10-2010 at 06:14 PM   #23
Buszaj

Yes, I do realize that Christmas has become extremely commercialized, and for a good amount of people is a secular holiday. However, it has obvious religious roots, and many people follow various religious/spiritual traditions with Christmas. Myself included. I don't think that commercialization warrants people to get offended when they see/hear "Merry Christmas" or "Christmas tree", nevermind cities and organizations wanting to change the name.
Old 12-10-2010 at 06:17 PM   #24
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

I remember I said merry Christmas to a customer (apparently you have to be nice in retail) and they shot back "oh its happy holidays, some people find what you said offensive". Honestly? Go swallow a knife, take it as good wishes, how is that in any way offensive? How big of a stick do you have up your @$$ if you find Merry Christmas offensive? Someone's just telling you to have a nice week.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

jo87, pepperminte like this.
Old 12-10-2010 at 06:23 PM   #25
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Just as immigrants can't expect to have each and every "religious" holiday celebrated in Canada, the same should go for those who expect each and everyone to partake of Christmas traditions, as little as it may be, and regardless of it's purpose. Keep these celebrations isolated from the country; they are not related, despite the country's roots. This is not a "you're Canadian" or "you're an immigrant" thing, it's a humanistic thing.

As such, you cannot take offence to someone refusing to reply to your "Merry Christmas", regardless of your intent and regardless of his or her original nationality. If one takes offence from a "Merry Christmas" wish, you're both in the wrong even if it was in your best intent. As such, a neutral "Happy holidays" will work best, even if it doesn't exhibit the 'true spirit' of the occasion.

Remember than many of these people grew up in areas where Christmas is only "celebrated" in Christian homes. They don't take "Merry Christmas" as "Have a good day/week/Christmas/holidays", they take it a "Merry Christmas", and as such they will take offence.

Last edited by SilentWalker : 12-10-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-10-2010 at 06:31 PM   #26
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliu91
I say Merry Christmas.
With that mentality we should all be celebrating Aboriginal traditions and customs, not Christmas. I tend to say Happy Holidays, or 'enjoy the winter break!' because I want to be as inclusive as possible, which means accepting all traditions and cultural practice.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

Equinox likes this.
Old 12-10-2010 at 06:33 PM   #27
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

this might be precisely why i hate religion, arguments over the dumbest things to prove your superior in some sort of way. it's like some guy going admit it your christianity's b i t c h.......

what the hell does it matter if its christmas or holidays, i enjoy this commercialized break b/c of the gifts, being able to spend time with my family, indulge a little too much with the alcohol/food, and most of all a nice break from school...
Old 12-10-2010 at 06:33 PM   #28
ShouldBeStudying
Elite Member

Liked: 357 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boolean View Post
I remember I said merry Christmas to a customer (apparently you have to be nice in retail) and they shot back "oh its happy holidays, some people find what you said offensive". Honestly? Go swallow a knife, take it as good wishes, how is that in any way offensive? How big of a stick do you have up your @$$ if you find Merry Christmas offensive? Someone's just telling you to have a nice week.
it looks like your stick is bigger
Old 12-10-2010 at 06:35 PM   #29
Buszaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
Just as immigrants can't expect to have each and every "religious" holiday celebrated in Canada, the same should go for those who expect each and everyone to partake of Christmas traditions, as little as it may be, and regardless of it's purpose. Keep these celebrations isolated from the country; they are not related, despite the country's roots. This is not a "you're Canadian" or "you're an immigrant" thing, it's a humanistic thing.

As such, you cannot take offence to someone refusing to reply to your "Merry Christmas", regardless of your intent and regardless of his or her original nationality. If one takes offence from a "Merry Christmas" wish, you're both in the wrong even if it was in your best intent. As such, a neutral "Happy holidays" will work best, even if it doesn't exhibit the 'true spirit' of the occasion.

Remember than many of these people grew up in areas where Christmas is only "celebrated" in Christian homes. They don't take "Merry Christmas" as "Have a good day/week/Christmas/holidays", they take it a "Merry Christmas", and as such they will take offence.
I don't expect people who don't observe Christmas to partake, and I don't think the majority of people do. But just because the decorations are up, and the tell-tale signs of the holiday are around everywhere, doesn't mean people should get offended. Once again, it is something that is part of Canada, simply because the majority of the country is Christian. This obviously leads to the debate of state-church separation/unity, which is a whole other crazy issue. Something that we have different views on with regards to Christmas
Old 12-10-2010 at 06:41 PM   #30
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReDorkulateD View Post
it looks like your stick is bigger
Your right about that one. I'm not going to argue there,

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;