MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Happy Holidays from MacInsiders! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 26 12-25-2009 03:05 PM
Christmas Holidays Katia General Discussion 14 12-06-2009 01:28 PM
Merry Christmas! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 4 12-25-2008 11:14 AM

Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays

Old 12-10-2010 at 06:45 PM   #31
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

So ugh to get back on topic.
I say Merry Christmas.

Happy holidays sounds so lame.
Old 12-10-2010 at 06:49 PM   #32
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

I just want to know if you say Merry Christmas or Happy Holiday, we don't need to offend anyone Interested to know just because it is such a debated issue.
Old 12-10-2010 at 06:54 PM   #33
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buszaj View Post
I don't expect people who don't observe Christmas to partake, and I don't think the majority of people do. But just because the decorations are up, and the tell-tale signs of the holiday are around everywhere, doesn't mean people should get offended. Once again, it is something that is part of Canada, simply because the majority of the country is Christian. This obviously leads to the debate of state-church separation/unity, which is a whole other crazy issue. Something that we have different views on with regards to Christmas
I agree with S.talker (lol that is definitely ur new nickname) if everyone didn't wear their religion on their sleeve this wouldn't be a problem. And i might be misinformed but aren't the muslims/jews the ones that take offense to this?
Old 12-10-2010 at 06:57 PM   #34
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
I agree with S.talker (lol that is definitely ur new nickname) if everyone didn't wear their religion on their sleeve this wouldn't be a problem. And i might be misinformed but aren't the muslims/jews the ones that take offense to this?
You're misinformed. Also, don't generalize. It has nothing to do with any specific religion. It's more the culture-religious integration of the homeland, and they way they grew up. As such, many of them who take offence can't help but think in that manner. It's similar to all the brain-washing Western culture has done to us, as "advanced" we think we are.
Old 12-10-2010 at 07:02 PM   #35
healthsci1
Elite Member

Liked: 113 Times

Quote:
Muslims who take offense to it are usually the ones that act religious but in reality are not or crazed extremists. Saying Merry Christmas is NOT forbidden in islam aslong as you mean to confess that Jesus is just a human and not God.
Old 12-10-2010 at 07:29 PM   #36
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Off topic, but this thread reminds me of a recent scene from 30 Rock:

Jack: "Did you pick out the Christmas cards we're going to send out?"
Avery: "Yes I did"
*picks up a card*
Avery: "Happy Holidays....."
*opens the card*
Avery:"...is what terrorists say. Merry Christmas from Jack and Avery"

I usually say Happy Holidays.

BlakeM likes this.
Old 12-10-2010 at 07:36 PM   #37
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Happy trolololidays everybody.
Old 12-10-2010 at 07:44 PM   #38
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I go with Happy Holidays. It just sounds more inclusive (Christmas + any other religious holiday during the time as well as Happy New Year)

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthsci1 View Post
Muslims who take offense to it are usually the ones that act religious but in reality are not or crazed extremists. Saying Merry Christmas is NOT forbidden in islam aslong as you mean to confess that Jesus is just a human and not God.
That last bit, let's not get into that. But I think it's more about the fact that people wish it was like their home country where their own religions/cultural celebrations were celebrated as widely as the Christmas celebrations are here. Not necessarily being offended that Christians are celebrating their OWN holiday.

Last edited by ~*Sara*~ : 12-10-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-10-2010 at 07:49 PM   #39
manap3000
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
You're misinformed. Also, don't generalize. It has nothing to do with any specific religion. It's more the culture-religious integration of the homeland, and they way they grew up. As such, many of them who take offence can't help but think in that manner. It's similar to all the brain-washing Western culture has done to us, as "advanced" we think we are.
if your a newly settled immigrant the usage of the term christmas is probably the last of your worries, why its so damn cold is probably up there higher than this. the people who are butthurt over this have this superiority complex of my religion is better than yours, dont you dare shove your religion in my face, so i would say yeah it is about religion and less about where you grew up, i'd say it's more on the parents than the country tbh. And if advanced means i think a different way and am more tolerant to everyone, than damn straight im advanced.

stalker you can't possibly mean to tell me that advanced is a mind construct when they're stoning people and beheading them on the other side of the world.
Old 12-10-2010 at 07:55 PM   #40
x.N.x

Liked: 3 Times

I'm not Christian or Catholic, nor do I celebrate Christmas. (well, not really, anyways, occasionally we get a tree, and decorate, but for the most part we're a busy family)
But I say Merry Christmas. I love this time of year. It's pretty out, and most people are in a good mood.
Also, we get time off because its Christmas. Regardless of what this country is, or what its considered, you generally get a day off for Christmas, (depending on where you work, I suppose). But for example, Eid, or any other religious holiday, I suppose, you have to take the day off if you don't want to work.
I personally love getting a day off and have no problem thanking Christmas for it.
So I say "Merry Christmas."

Bachelor of Technology II || Process Automation

pepperminte likes this.
Old 12-10-2010 at 08:01 PM   #41
Equinox

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Yes, you are misinformed.

As a matter of fact, I have never come across a person who has been offended by someone saying "Merry Christmas".

It's also funny how you see people get vocal (people in this forum and tv) because other people find "Merry Christmas" offending, while the people who get offended seem nonexistant.
Old 12-10-2010 at 08:03 PM   #42
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:

stalker you can't possibly mean to tell me that advanced is a mind construct when they're stoning people and beheading them on the other side of the world.
This has nothing to do with the topic.

Sure you're saying you're tolerant and whatnot. And this isn't about you personally, but I'm a firm believer that NO one is 100 % tolerant of everyone else. It's human nature, we all have that "I'm better than everyone else" bit, whether it's in terms of culture, religion, etc.

SilentWalker likes this.
Old 12-10-2010 at 08:04 PM   #43
manap3000
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
Yes, you are misinformed.

As a matter of fact, I have never come across a person who has been offended by someone saying "Merry Christmas".

It's also funny how you see people get vocal (people in this forum and tv) because other people find "Merry Christmas" offending, while the people who get offended seem nonexistant.
what are you implying, im curious?
Old 12-10-2010 at 08:20 PM   #44
Equinox

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
what are you implying, im curious?
Only that people are making a huge deal out of this.

It's actually kinda funny. Don't know why people can't just shut up and enjoy Christmas (or Hanukkah, etc..)
Old 12-10-2010 at 08:23 PM   #45
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

I celebrate Festivus. As a result I don't say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays", I say "Festivus for the rest of us!"

Every year my family puts up our aluminum Festivus Pole, and we celebrate the season this way - its really quite beautiful.

jamescw1234 likes this.