MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anybody dropping Linguistics (1A03), MMedia (1A03, 1B03), or HLTH AGE (1AA3, 1BB3)? MacDaddy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-15-2010 06:48 PM
MMEDIA 1B03 - Anyone dropping? (1st Year) R_21 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-02-2010 12:36 AM
Anyone dropping MMEDIA 1B03 or ECON 2GG3? suzy Academics 0 06-11-2010 11:35 PM
Please message me if you're going to drop MMedia 1B03/ I'm dropping two courses tiger Academics 6 07-04-2009 11:14 AM
Mmedia 2G03 vs Mmedia 2B03 lucy. Academics 7 06-18-2009 05:30 PM

Message before dropping MMedia

Old 06-30-2008 at 11:50 AM   #1
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Message before dropping MMedia
if you're going to drop MMedia 1AO3 or 1BO3 please message me, thanks.
Old 06-30-2008 at 11:59 AM   #2
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Are you trying to take those in order to have the chance to advance to a Multimedia program in 2nd year?

If you are you I think you can contact the department to open a seat for you. I e-mailed about a non-required course the other day that was full and she said they only open more seats in courses like 1A03 and 1BO3 because they are required for admission to 2nd year and so on.
Old 06-30-2008 at 12:01 PM   #3
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

so what do you mean, will they be opening more seats then?
Old 06-30-2008 at 12:05 PM   #4
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Basically if want to take MMEDIA 1A03 and 1BO3 so you have the chance to get into the Multimedia program in 2nd year for your major these two courses are required.

For required courses the department says they will open up a seat in a full course so that you have the opportunity to take it.

So you should either contact them by phone or by e-mail. I don't have the contact info right now but you can look on their website or maybe someone else will post it.

I know I e-mailed about a course the other day and they said since it was not required they couldn't help me, but she said if it's a required course then they can open up seats.
Old 07-01-2008 at 02:41 PM   #5
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Sew12 is right.. if you're taking Mmedia 1B03 because you're in a multimedia program or want to be in one, you should contact the department. However, if you're just taking it cause it's an elective, you're probobly out of luck unless someone drops it.
Old 07-30-2008 at 12:08 AM   #6
inmanj

Liked: 0 Times

I know it's a bit late now, but I contacted the department of Communications about this 3 or 4 weeks and they said:

"The Multimedia program in the Faculty of Humanities is a limited enrolment program with limited resources available in our computer lab. Because completion of MMEDIA 1B03 is required for admission to the Level II program, we must restrict registration in this course to Humanities I and Social Sciences I students who are attempting to gain admission into the program. There will be a note to this effect included in the next edition of the Undergraduate Calendar. You received a message that the course is full because we are unable to make any seats available to other students. The only recourse I can offer you is to contact either this office or the Department of Communication Studies and Multimedia in the latter part of July. If there are seats available in MMEDIA 1B03 at that time, we may be able to authorize one for you if the Department is prepared to re-allocate a seat to you from those being held for Social Sciences I students."

It seems kinda unfair to let people plan their timetables around a course which they can't actually take with no mention of it in the Calendar. Oh well, I have done what they said and am waiting to hear back
Old 07-30-2008 at 12:46 AM   #7
samantha__
Elite Member

Liked: 9 Times

Well really most/all courses are like that.. if a class is pretty popular, they give preference to people that are actually enrolled in the program. It does suck, but at the same time, it's fair. Why should a person enrolled in a multimedia program/wants to do it not be able to take the course right?
Old 08-02-2008 at 11:18 AM   #8
jag6232

Liked: 0 Times

I will be dropping the term 2 evening MMEDIA 1B03, if I am successful in snagging a spot in THTR&FLM 1B03... basically I'm going to wait like a hawk on SOLAR 24/7 until someone drops it and I can snag their spot.
And the last time I had checked neither class was full... only the day section of 1B03 was full. Everything else was available.
Old 08-02-2008 at 11:58 AM   #9
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

SOLAR is now closed until Aug 11th so there isn't much you can do till then.

MMEDIA is a very limited enrolment program. The reason as stated in the email you got is that the program is based on the computer, and the labs have a limited number of computers to use. So you take the number of computers available, multiply that by the number of sections they are offering in first year (depends on the number of professors, etc) and you have your enrolment cap. Multimedia fills up fast so if you are planning to get into mmedia in second year you really had to act quick and/or contact them earlier.