MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about Micro Economics 1B03? Mephisto First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-05-2008 11:22 PM

Micro Economics Textbook

Old 07-31-2010 at 12:41 PM   #1
laiac

Liked: 0 Times

Micro Economics Textbook
Does anyone know the name of the textbook and publisher used last year? I wanna do some reading into this last month. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2010 at 12:56 PM   #2
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

You want the Principle of Microeconomics by Mankiw, 4th edition, but I'd recommend waiting till the book list comes out

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-31-2010 at 01:34 PM   #3
navangi90

Liked: 4,294,967,295 Times

I don't think you should start looking for the book yet since the book list is not out for this year. Also, as for mircoeconomics you don't really need a textbook my prof was Hannah Holmes and all her notes were posted online and everything on the midterms and exam was exclusively from her notes.

Good luck
For the first year.
Old 08-01-2010 at 04:04 AM   #4
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

imo no book is needed.. i bought one and returned it the next day... she gives all the notes in the form of power point slides
Old 08-01-2010 at 05:34 AM   #5
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

I'm gonna have to agree, you don't REALLY need the textbook, but I always get the textbook just in case.

You do however need to buy Aplia, if they still do that.
Old 08-01-2010 at 08:13 AM   #6
nadia1

Liked: 3 Times

you actually only need aplia for macro-econ with o'shaughnessy. but as for micro with holmes as the posts said above, there is no need for the textbook at all. the midterms and exam are all based souly from the notes. i don't even think she refrences the textbook at all. so pay attention in class as she goes through the slides and you're good!!
Old 08-01-2010 at 12:03 PM   #7
paperplanes

Liked: 10 Times

i heard for micro/macro econ classes there are full podcasts? can anyone confirm this? also, i heard something about inclass quizzes? =/
Old 08-01-2010 at 02:29 PM   #8
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperplanes View Post
i heard for micro/macro econ classes there are full podcasts? can anyone confirm this? also, i heard something about inclass quizzes? =/
i can only speak for micro.. but yes that is true... podcasts of lectures are posted online and every friday there is an inclass 10 minute quiz... so pretty much u only have 10 minutes of class on fridays

paperplanes says thanks to giftedchick for this post.
Old 08-01-2010 at 02:57 PM   #9
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

dont bother with the textbook. Its not worth the money. Just use the slides. Besides you should wait for the first week to get ur textbooks anyways.
Old 08-02-2010 at 02:53 PM   #10
dani.garc

Liked: 0 Times

I agree with what everyone has said. I took the course last year, and all the material you need is provided in her slides. Good luck!
Old 08-19-2010 at 04:28 PM   #11
justinb

Liked: 21 Times

Don't buy it.
Old 08-20-2010 at 11:52 AM   #12
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Like the others have said DO NOT buy the textbook for either 1B03/1BB3. If APLIA is required for your course the textbook will be available in digital form on the website. Also I know for ECON 1BB3 full podcast lectures are posted here: http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/oshaubr/econC01.html

If you want to get a head start for ECON 1B03 then listen to the first few podcasts since the material in both courses overlap up until Chpt 4. I think.
Old 08-20-2010 at 07:37 PM   #13
sayok8737

Liked: 7 Times

people are telling you not to buy the textbook but i think that it might be helpful, especially in first year. what if you don't understand the way your prof explains stuff, you'll always have the textbook to fall back on. itll also give you more practice, therefore you'll be better off than everyone else who didn't purchase the textbook. idk, but in my opinion, i would get the textbook (and i already have haha) .
Old 08-20-2010 at 07:51 PM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayok8737 View Post
people are telling you not to buy the textbook but i think that it might be helpful, especially in first year. what if you don't understand the way your prof explains stuff, you'll always have the textbook to fall back on. itll also give you more practice, therefore you'll be better off than everyone else who didn't purchase the textbook. idk, but in my opinion, i would get the textbook (and i already have haha) .
You can do perfectly fine in this course without the textbook. As long as you go to class and use her notes. Her notes are quite sufficient in order to learn the material. I didn't have the book and neither did any of my friends and we all did exceptionally well.
Old 08-20-2010 at 07:54 PM   #15
sayok8737

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
You can do perfectly fine in this course without the textbook. As long as you go to class and use her notes. Her notes are quite sufficient in order to learn the material. I didn't have the book and neither did any of my friends and we all did exceptionally well.
I was just giving my opinion, not everyone learns the same way! lol!