MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can someone give me a DL for Microsoft Word Rakim Computers & Tech 40 10-09-2010 06:54 PM
Microsoft office 07 CAHopeful First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 09-29-2010 02:13 PM
Microsoft Office Enterprise Help Phoenix General Discussion 2 09-27-2009 11:25 AM
That McMaster Microsoft Deal RyanC General Discussion 9 09-10-2009 12:25 PM
MICROSOFT coming to Mac! Chad General Discussion 0 01-29-2008 11:17 PM

Microsoft surface any thoughts?

Old 06-19-2012 at 07:03 PM   #1
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

Microsoft surface any thoughts?

www.surface.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpzu3HM2CIo

Just announced by microsoft yesterday
any thoughts about tablet PCs?
Old 06-19-2012 at 07:07 PM   #2
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Liked: 64 Times

I seriously doubt it will be able to compete with the iPad. I've used Windows 8 Release Preview on my desktop and it sucks. However, it may not suck as much on a tablet.
Old 06-19-2012 at 07:09 PM   #3
jon.john23
Elite Member

ur right

i strongly feel that the W8 ui is more suited for a tablet expreince than you traditional cursor ui

i think thats what MS went out and did with this guy
Old 06-19-2012 at 07:31 PM   #4
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

in terms of OS, it will be superior. Its success will be contingent on battery life and being able to gather enough developer support.
Old 06-19-2012 at 07:52 PM   #5
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

As long as it is priced the same as an iPad, it should do far better in business than iPads. Keep in mind that MS is really pushing metro app development meaning that within a short timespan it should have a massive app base. In addition EVERY windows RT tablet come with FULL office which isnt even available on a Mac, let alone iOS, Android, linux, WebOS, blackberry OS etc. It will also likely come with other basic windows software such a paint/photo editing, basic video editing, a full browser with full flash support (even if it is IE), and windows explorer. Just dont expect to install third party software

It also appears to have an active digitizer making it superior to every tablet except a few android models for note taking.

Android = iOS = a toy, or device of relatively limited use (i have one)
WindowsRT = a limited computer / productivity machine
Windows 7/8pro = Mac OS = linux = full computing experience.

I would say the surface tablet is a very good compromise between a fulling functioning desktop and a facebook/email/book/internet machine

jon.john23 likes this.
Old 06-19-2012 at 07:59 PM   #6
Twinkle
Account Locked

Liked: 42 Times

linux = full computing experience.

On what planet?

Linux is about as user friendly, as trying to eating clams while riding a unicycle on wild buffalo's back.

Old 06-19-2012 at 08:01 PM   #7
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
linux = full computing experience.

On what planet?

Why not? Not that I've used it, but I've heard it's quite popular with computer geeks.
Old 06-19-2012 at 08:05 PM   #8
Twinkle
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmahone View Post
Why not? Not that I've used it, but I've heard it's quite popular with computer geeks.
It's popular because its free, and its open source.

It will never be popular with the rest of the world.

Alexmahone says thanks to Twinkle for this post.
Old 06-19-2012 at 08:05 PM   #9
Alexmahone
Elite Member

Quote:
Linux is about as user friendly, as trying to eating clams while riding a unicycle on wild buffalo's back.
Is it less user friendly than Windows 8?
Old 06-19-2012 at 08:05 PM   #10
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

I might buy if it doesn't cost so friggin much

jon.john23 likes this.
Old 06-19-2012 at 08:09 PM   #11
Twinkle
Account Locked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmahone View Post
Is it less user friendly than Windows 8?
Besides the annoying metro garbage, its the same windows 7. Since you are a not a Linux user, image Windows where in order to do basic operations you have to use the command prompt, and you'll get linux.

Alexmahone says thanks to Twinkle for this post.
Old 06-19-2012 at 09:04 PM   #12
jon.john23
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
As long as it is priced the same as an iPad, it should do far better in business than iPads.

according to MS, the higher end unit will cost as much as an ultra book

Last edited by jon.john23 : 06-19-2012 at 09:31 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-19-2012 at 09:11 PM   #13
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Quote:
Besides the annoying metro garbage, its the same windows 7. Since you are a not a Linux user, image Windows where in order to do basic operations you have to use the command prompt, and you'll get linux.
You either haven't used Linux, or last used it in the mid 90's. There are distributions that are no more difficult to use for everyday usage cases than Windows, eg Linux Mint. I know this because my family, who are not technically inclined at all, are able to use Mint perfectly fine at home.

EDIT: Also, Windows command prompt is absolutely trash compared to a proper *nix shell such as bash. If I had to use cmd to do anything on a daily basis I would immediately ditch that system. Rarely have I actually *needed* to use bash, and the few times I have were also scenarios where if I had wanted to do the same work in Windows, I would have needed to use cmd anyway. There have been many occasions where I choose to use bash rather than a graphical tool simply because it's a lot more flexible if you know what you're doing.
Old 06-19-2012 at 09:40 PM   #14
Twinkle
Account Locked

You either haven't used Linux, or last used it in the mid 90's. There are distributions that are no more difficult to use for everyday usage cases than Windows, eg Linux Mint. I know this because my family, who are not technically inclined at all, are able to use Mint perfectly fine at home.

Ok, so I didn't say anything about the software centers, that are full of just barely rated 3 stars that no average user uses. Here's an example: so I Google a little, and find something cool I want to install, but wait, its not in the software center. What do you do? You go to the terminal (command prompt). From the point of view of a casual user, unless they provide full list of commands you have to copy/paste,you are screwed. Yes they started to fix that problem now with links that direct the SC, but hey, Linux has been out there for years, and only now they think about it? And I didn't even mention the often need of compilation.

Another thing that pisses me off, is that in the past decade, Linux hasn't evolved visually. For example Ubuntu, before getting divided into Gnome and Unity in the past couple of years it barely changed.

I can also go deeper into the entire Linux distributive situation and what a giant mess and waste of human resources that is. About the terrible third party software support.... Yeah, basically what I mean is that unless they take the interface "from keyboard to mouse" its never getting over 5% of desktop market.

Also, Windows command prompt is absolutely trash compared to a proper *nix shell such as bash.

Well duh, when was the last time u had to instal a program in Windows using the command prompt?
Something that is not being used a lot, doesn't not get improved.... like Linux in general.

Osama likes this.
Old 06-19-2012 at 09:42 PM   #15
Twinkle
Account Locked

sorry for repeat

Last edited by Twinkle : 06-19-2012 at 09:43 PM. Reason: repeated post