Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Minor in chemistry goldfish101 Academics 3 05-29-2010 09:28 PM

minor in bio or chemistry?

Old 07-24-2009 at 08:24 PM   #1
jordan19

Liked: 19 Times

minor in bio or chemistry?
Does anyone know if biochem students can minor in either chem or bio? and if not, why?
Old 07-24-2009 at 08:46 PM   #2
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I think you are permitted to if you take 24 units of either bio or chemistry throughout your program, with no more than 6 of those units being from Level I.

However, one thing you may want to consider is antirequistes. Your BIOCHEM courses could serve as antirequisites preventing you from taking a BIO course or CHEM course because it's considered equivalent to them.

Edit: I'l find more stuff in just a sec

BIOLOGY 3P03 CELL PHYSIOLOGY Analysis of cell function with an emphasis on electrical properties, ion transport proteins, signalling via second messengers, mechanisms of cell homeostasis, and epithelial transport.
Two lectures, one tutorial; one term
Prerequisite(s): BIOLOGY 2A03 or PSYCH 2F03, or both BIOLOGY 1A03 (or ISCI 1A24) and six units from KINESIOL 1A03, 1AA3 (or 1A06), 1Y03, 1YY3; and credit or registration in one of BIOCHEM 2A06, 2BB3 or 3G03

BIOLOGY 3AA3 FUNDAMENTAL CONCEPTS OF PHARMACOLOGY Drug interactions with living organisms; absorption and elimination of drugs, variations in drug action, drug toxicity, receptor structure and function, and signal transduction pathways.
Three lectures, one tutorial (three hours); one term
Prerequisite(s): One of BIOLOGY 2A03, HTH SCI 2FF3, PSYCH 2F03; and one of BIOCHEM 2A06, 2BB3, 2EE3 or registration in BIOCHEM 3G03. BIOLOGY 3P03 is strongly recommended.

Not open to students with credit in BIOCHEM 4Q03 or registration in Honours Biology and Pharmacology.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Last edited by goodnews.inc : 07-24-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 07-27-2009 at 01:29 PM   #3
jordan19

My questions wasn't that lol
its whether or not biochem students can minor in biology or chemistry because they are similar courses
my friend graduating from biochem said that the dean didnt allow her to get a minor in chemistry although she had the 8 courses in chem because biochem overlaps with chemistry too easily so i was wondering if anyone upper years can confirm this
Old 07-29-2009 at 08:43 PM   #4
c.thomson

Liked: 4 Times

Hello,

I'm going into 4th year Biopharm, and I've been required to take a lot of biochem courses, and chem courses. It turns out that both chem and biochem courses count towards a minor in biochem, so I've decided to take a couple more biochem courses since they are on our course list anyways.

So all in all, pretty much all of the courses that I have taken towards my minor, were more or less required and are also counting towards my major. But I am still getting a minor in Biochem, and so are my friends, and I know someone who has graduated an did the same thing.

Unless it says on the undergrad calendar that you cannot (either on the biochem page, or the chem or bio minor pages), I would assume that you can. I would just double check with the associate deans office though.

For most minors you need 24 units with 6 units in level 3 and 4. Biochem students aren't required to take very many bio courses so I am sure that you can do a minor in bio, just double check chem.
Old 07-29-2009 at 08:46 PM   #5
jordan19

Hey...
I was wondering what were the course requirements to get into biopharm because it doesn't show me on the site...
How is the program...? Is it hard?
Old 07-29-2009 at 08:59 PM   #6
c.thomson

Liked: 4 Times

Oh that's weird that it's not on the site.

I know you need:
- both organic chem
- biology 2A03 (this is a must!)
- you need either both biochem 2B03 and 2BB3 OR 2EE3.

I believe that you need to have taken 4 bio courses in total, but in my year there are a few people that were in biochem in 2nd year and were able to make up an extra bio course in 3rd year.

The program is mostly problem based learning. In 3rd year you take a full year lab course in which you learn a lot of useful techniques. The lab reports are tonnes of work, but you mostly do it in groups, and you do learn a lot from them. In second semester you do a 'discovery project' in groups of 4, which is like a mini thesis where you conduct experiments, and write a report and give a presentation.

There is also a full year tutorial. In this course you are personally responsible for your learning. Your class consists of 10 people, and you spend 3 hours a week discussing the things that you're learning about. You're expected to do research on your own time and come to class with information to share with the class. At the end of each section you write a summary. The exam for this course is a TRIPSE in which there is one problem that you try to solve, you basically write what you think is happening, and how you could experimentally prove your hypothesis.

This program is very different from mainstream courses. The grades are 'nickelled and dimed', that is to say, instead of having a few midterms and exams, you have many small assignments to be completed throughout the year. There are no tests or exams in these courses, but it is still a lot of work, and time management is key.

I really enjoy it, just because of the way that I learn, I feel like I get more out of these courses, because you take responsibility for your own learning, and in the tutorials you have to study the main concepts, but you also get to learn what you want to learn. You basically get out of this program what you take from it.