MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is there to do in Finance? lawleypop Volunteering Opportunities 48 07-20-2010 02:11 PM
MSU Tour With The VP Finance Chad MacInsiders Announcements 5 08-30-2009 03:40 AM
New Personal Finance Course Chad Academics 1 07-27-2007 03:35 PM

Minor in Finance

Old 10-06-2009 at 06:25 PM   #16
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times

Newly saturated job markets thanks to a breakdown in the financial sector mean that those stats are next to useless. It's damn near impossible to find a good stable job in finance anymore. I have friends who have interned for big iBanks who are sitting at home waiting till their shifts start at TD customer service.

Hell, I picked up a second major just so I don't have to test the waters of financial industry. In 3 years time, everyone's going to graduate with an MBA and our Bachelors degrees won't mean shit because those MBAs will prob work for the same amount of money as us.

I blame this on Bill Clinton.

Last edited by deadpool : 10-06-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2009 at 02:34 PM   #17
Matthew K

Liked: 70 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S View Post
Just to point out...

According to the link below, in term of business related programs, people with just an Economics degree make more money compared to people in other areas of business such as finance, accounting, etc.

Majoring in econ, and minoring in finance OR staying in commerce, and minoring in economics would be both good ideas. I'm planning on minoring in econ.

http://www.payscale.com/best-colleges/degrees.asp
wow I wonder why economics is all the way up there
Old 10-09-2009 at 11:39 PM   #18
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S View Post
Just to point out...

According to the link below, in term of business related programs, people with just an Economics degree make more money compared to people in other areas of business such as finance, accounting, etc.

Majoring in econ, and minoring in finance OR staying in commerce, and minoring in economics would be both good ideas. I'm planning on minoring in econ.

http://www.payscale.com/best-colleges/degrees.asp

Holy ****, Economics is all the way up there. Finance is no where near there....

Old 10-09-2009 at 11:50 PM   #19
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Holy ****, Economics is all the way up there. Finance is no where near there....
You have to take these things with a grain of salt. Those salaries are averages for every job that falls under the category.

For example, Investment Bankers (finance) break $100,000 easy right out of Undergrad, but this averages with less promising finance jobs in these studies.

Jake likes this.
Old 10-09-2009 at 11:57 PM   #20
Matthew K

Liked: 70 Times

so if you major in finance and do a minor in economics, you're pretty much set right? it's all money money money from there?
Old 10-09-2009 at 11:58 PM   #21
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew K View Post
so if you major in finance and do a minor in economics, you're pretty much set right? it's all money money money from there?
Heh, if only. Life is still pretty variable
Old 10-10-2009 at 12:02 AM   #22
Jake

Haha, it's all about the $$$ :p

Old 10-10-2009 at 12:04 AM   #23
John H

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Haha, it's all about the $$$ :p
Typical...It's all Commerce students care about! lol
Old 10-10-2009
Jake
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-10-2009 at 12:11 AM   #24
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H View Post
Typical...It's all Commerce students care about! lol
You’re majoring in economics! You guys are just as (maybe even more) concerned about making money haha