MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone dropping SPANISH 1Z06 ?????? zhangp22 Academics 1 09-16-2010 07:36 PM
Spanish 1z06 fivedragons First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 07-11-2010 03:49 PM
Dropping Spanish 1AA3? reeves First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 07-16-2009 11:17 PM

Minor in Spanish?

Old 03-12-2008 at 09:03 PM   #1
notredame

Liked: 0 Times

Minor in Spanish?
Hi, I recently got accepted to Mac for social sciences and I was just wondering if I could minor in spanish? If so, how exactly do I go about doing that? Are there prerequisites?
Old 03-13-2008 at 08:32 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Hi notredame,

I think you can. Unfortunately, I do not know what the course availability is for next year, so I can't be sure. There have been rumours floating around that they would no longer be offering Spanish for students starting at Mac in September 2008 and afterwards.

If this is a rumour and not truth, you will need to take the first year spanish class first. (HISP 1Z06). It is a full year, introduction to Spanish. If you took spanish throughout highschool, you may have to take a different class. I'm not sure. In subsequent years, you will take the other required spanish classes.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 03-13-2008 at 02:50 PM   #3
notredame

Lorend,

Thanks for getting back.
I took Spanish for three years in high school and now have a York University Translation Certificate in Spanish; I just wanted to minor in it in university now. So what do you mean by take difference courses if I already had done some in high school? Like an intermediate level?

nd
Old 03-13-2008 at 03:00 PM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Yes, it looks like you would need to take something starting at the intermediate level if you have that much knowlege of Spanish already.

This is all I could find about languages at Mac: http://www.humanities.mcmast er.ca/...mmes/lang.html. If you want more info, I suggest you contact someone in the Humanities office. Their Liason Officer's email is: [email protected]. Her name is Rowena Muhic-Day.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 03-13-2008 at 03:16 PM   #5
notredame

Thanks all the information; this is all really good stuff.
Oh, and this site is SUPER helpful; I don't think UOttawa (the other school I'm considering) has something like this, haha.
Old 03-13-2008 at 07:12 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

They don't. We've looked into it. Only one other school in Ontario has something close to this.

Old 03-13-2008 at 10:32 PM   #7
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Thanks for all your positive feedback Notredame! Looking forward to hopefully seeing you in Sept!