Professor Rating
70%70%70%
Interest
80%80%80%
Easiness
80%80%80%
Average 78%
Molbio 3HH3

This was the first Mol Bio course I've taken and I'm glad I took it!

The content was straight forward, as long as you attend classes. I found some parts to be a bit boring, and caffeine was a real requirement at times (especially as I took it as a night class), but over all it wasn't bad.

It gave me a real appreciation for just how much we've learned in the past 20 years or so about the cytoplasm, and how important it is for the function of a cell and future research.

Marks were based on a few tests/quizes and questions in tutorial along with a group presentation. The tests were fairly easy, as long as you know the basic concepts. Some pure memorization is involved, however, such as drug names and functions. The tutorial questions/presentations were based on journal articles, most of which were pretty interesting.

My only complaint was that the professor (Dr. B. Gupta) was difficult to understand, as he mumbles sometimes, has an accent, and the microphone was pretty quiet. He made up for this with his enthusiasm for the content, and presented everything in a straight forward and engaging way.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Molbio 3HH3!

Old 06-04-2010 at 05:31 PM   #2
zaverim

Liked: 4 Times
I took it with Dr. Gupta, he's good at explaining the concepts, 3 midterms, fair testing-just a lot of material to memorize though. I believe Dr. Dej will be teaching in 2011, and I've taken other courses with her so you wouldn't have to worry about her- she is absolutely amazing and concise with her explanations of the content.
Old 12-30-2010 at 05:47 PM   #3
sambhuvan

Liked: 0 Times
hey, was there an exam for the course?
Old 12-31-2010 at 01:24 AM   #4
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambhuvan View Post
hey, was there an exam for the course?
Yep. There's a 40% final exam for the course. The most recent course outline can be accessed here.

Old 12-31-2010 at 11:56 PM   #5
sambhuvan

thank you for the outline
Old 04-27-2011 at 06:52 PM   #6
Cavalier

Liked: 1 Time
Hey

How were you marked during the tutorial and could you give a little more information about the presentation aspect of the tutorial.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-27-2011 at 07:39 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
Hey

How were you marked during the tutorial and could you give a little more information about the presentation aspect of the tutorial.

Thanks in advance
You either ask a question to the group of answer a question that the TA asks. The question you have to answer would be like "What is the hypothesis?", can't remember the other ones but they are basic questions about the article, hypothesis, results, experiments, etc...

The presentation is just summarizing the article and presenting it to the tutorial.

Cavalier says thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 05-26-2011 at 11:23 PM   #8
jubilantx

Liked: 1 Time
does anyone know if Dr Dej is teaching this course in 2011? i looked on master timetable and it seems that Dr. Gupta is teaching it?
Old 05-26-2011 at 11:47 PM   #9
crys.eg

Liked: 7 Times
Dr. Grupta is teaching it... as it will be next taught in 2012.
Dr. Dej did teach it in 2011... as it was 2011 already
Old 09-10-2011 at 09:52 PM   #10
traveler10

Liked: 51 Times
do we need the textbook for this course??
Old 09-10-2011 at 10:07 PM   #11
mac-lover

Liked: 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler10 View Post
do we need the textbook for this course??
it's still early. the course isn't till next term.
Old 01-01-2012 at 08:33 PM   #12
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times
Can anyone elaborate on whether they thought a cumulative final exam is too much? For Nucleus, the examinations were not cumulative, and the same with cell biology. Apparently the final for this course, according to the outline posted on avenue, is cumulative - I'm just wondering whether you guys had trouble with this or whether it's fine.

Thanks ^_^
Old 01-01-2012 at 11:21 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Can anyone elaborate on whether they thought a cumulative final exam is too much? For Nucleus, the examinations were not cumulative, and the same with cell biology. Apparently the final for this course, according to the outline posted on avenue, is cumulative - I'm just wondering whether you guys had trouble with this or whether it's fine.

Thanks ^_^
Nope, didn't haven any problems with the cumulative exam.
Old 01-01-2012 at 11:59 PM   #14
lankan_4lif

Liked: 9 Times
Did you find the textbook useful or were the lecture notes detailed enough that you did not need it?

nishan likes this.
Old 01-02-2012 at 12:02 AM   #15
eyecandy

in the course outline (winter 2010); when it says "6 research papers" does this mean there are 6 research papers given to read with questions to answer for marks?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search