MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LSB this Morning??? britb General Discussion 4 10-04-2010 08:56 PM
Bus to Hamilton GO on a Saturday morning MarissaK General Discussion 3 11-28-2009 12:00 AM
When do timetables open for changing? Now, or tomorrow morning? aviaf First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 08-10-2008 11:40 PM
The Big Day Tomorrow Morning! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 02-07-2008 07:37 AM

morning classes?

Old 07-26-2009 at 10:34 AM   #1
kanishka
winning

Liked: 39 Times

morning classes?
our personal timetables are soon going to be released, and then we can reschedule them if we want...so i was just thinking that if a situation arrives such that we would have to either choose a good professor(and early morning classes) or a bad professor(and not so-early morning classes), what should we choose? so could the upper year students give their suggestions?
Old 07-26-2009 at 10:37 AM   #2
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Morning classes are not that bad, just make sure you have an alarm clock and some coffee

Waking up early means you can get your classes out of the way and have more time in the afternoon to get stuff done!
Old 07-26-2009 at 10:38 AM   #3
kanishka
winning

but in winters isn't it tough to wake up that early in the morning?
Old 07-26-2009 at 10:39 AM   #4
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

personally it didnt matter who the prof was for me, morning classes usually mean me 1) sleeping in (not going) 2) sleeping in class 3) never learning anything in the morning....haha but some times morning classes are unavoidable so yeah i find a way to wake up...but really in my opinion go by which time allows you to absorb more info...if your like me then the afternoon is good not matter the professor...even though your prof may be bad just know that you have textbooks, other friends (to have study/note sessions with), and even the option of going to the other profs( the good one) office hour to get things clarified as they probably teach the same stuff as the bad prof..thats my bit
Old 07-26-2009 at 10:42 AM   #5
saukalra
Elite Member

Liked: 18 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanishka View Post
our personal timetables are soon going to be released, and then we can reschedule them if we want...so i was just thinking that if a situation arrives such that we would have to either choose a good professor(and early morning classes) or a bad professor(and not so-early morning classes), what should we choose? so could the upper year students give their suggestions?
It really depends on your rest of the schedule too. Personally, if I had a morning class and then a huge break before my next class with nothing really to do, then I would prefer not to take that morning class. On the other hand, if I have back to back classes after the morning class, then I dont mind taking that early morning class.
Old 07-26-2009 at 11:47 AM   #6
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

In my opinion, since you're in first year, it's kind of difficult for you to know if a professor is 'bad' or not. In that case, you should make a timetable that you know that you'll be motivated to go to class - and not sacrifice other classes to take a nap or sleep in.

Most people I know really hate 8:30 classes, but 9:30 is slightly better, so if you can do those, maybe that would work out for you.

I am in a similar situation, one of my favourite profs from last year is teaching an 8:30 class this year so it's quite the dilemma. Hopefully you'll figure something out that works for you best - a bad professor doesn't equal a bad grade. :]
Old 07-26-2009 at 01:53 PM   #7
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
I personally really like morning classes. Lots of students skip their morning classes and so morning lectures are usually pretty empty. Since the lecture rooms are usually empty in the morning, it is easier for you to find a good seat if you have a morning class. Since the morning classes have less people, professors are also usually more likely to answer your questions. A professor can only answer so many questions during a lecture. If there are less students in the class, it is more probable that your question will be answered. On the other hand, if there are a lot of students in a class (which is usually the case with afternoon lectures), there is a chance that the professor may not be able to answer your question.

Nonetheless, everyone is different. Some people find it very difficult to stay awake during morning lectures. Whether or not you should take a morning class depends on you. If you are a morning person, my advice would be to definitely take the morning class with the good prof. If you hate waking up early, stick with the afternoon class.
Old 07-26-2009 at 02:01 PM   #8
kanishka
winning

another thing that i'm worried about is: for eg: if there is one class taking place at ABB and the second one is going to take place a TSH and there is only 10minutes gap between the first one getting over and the second one starting then is it possible to cover this much distance in 10mins?
Old 07-26-2009 at 02:05 PM   #9
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

In particular, a morning class can be problematic when you have to commute.

I live an hour away by city bus (at peak times), so to get to my 8:30 classes I'd often have to leave at like 7:00 am or so, which means waking up at like 6:00.

I envied the people living in rez who could wake up at 8:00, grab a quick shower and run straight to class haha.

------------------

Personally, I don't like hot beverages...not sure why. For this reason, and plus the fact that I affirmed "I will not have a dependence on coffee" before coming to university (Almost everyone else I know has a daily coffee), I didn't depend on coffee which made it very difficult to attend 8:30 classes.

EDIT: In my third year, I had to go from Linear Algebra II in ABB to my Sport Injuries practical class in the gym, in ten minutes, and then back to ABB for Differential Geometry also in ten minutes. (Which certainly annoyed the heck out of me)

It's fine, you just have to hussle a bit, and accept being like 2 minutes late (nobody really minds).

Last edited by Mowicz : 07-26-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-26-2009 at 02:06 PM   #10
wfujarczuk

Liked: 1 Time

It's completely your call!

First term last year, I started at 9:30 or 10:30 and it was pretty good. Second term I started everyday at 8:30. At the beginning I really liked 8:30 classes so much more, I was going to bed earlier, had more time to get things done in the afternoons, etc. However, by the end of the term I was getting caught up in assignments and I'd be half-asleep in some morning classes.

If you can grab a quick breakfast before class it helps a lot! (At least, that's what I found.)
Old 07-26-2009 at 02:11 PM   #11
kanishka
winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post

It's fine, you just have to hussle a bit, and accept being like 2 minutes late (nobody really minds).
are u saying it doesn't matter if we are late to the class?
Old 07-26-2009 at 02:11 PM   #12
rrtt
Elite Member

Quote:
another thing that i'm worried about is: for eg: if there is one class taking place at ABB and the second one is going to take place a TSH and there is only 10minutes gap between the first one getting over and the second one starting then is it possible to cover this much distance in 10mins?
10 minutes is definitely enough time to get from ABB to TSH. I was really worried about having my classes back-to-back last year as well but it is not too bad. Once you get to know the campus, you will notice that the buildings arent too far apart. I find that is will usually only take you a maximum of 5-7 minutes to get from one building to another.

xxsumz says thanks to rrtt for this post.
Old 07-26-2009 at 02:16 PM   #13
rrtt
Elite Member

Quote:
are u saying it doesn't matter if we are late to the class?
You should always try to be on time. If you are late, you might not get a seat or you might have to jump over a whole row of people to get a seat (and annoy everyone around you). At the same time, you will not miss a lot of information if you are 1-2 minutes late.
Old 07-26-2009 at 02:22 PM   #14
kanishka
winning

but doesn't the professor get annoyed seeing someone entering the class after he has started his lecture?
Old 07-26-2009 at 02:30 PM   #15
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

one prof (dr. wilson) got annoyed because people entered through the front where she was lecturing but usually they don't care as long as you aren't being disruptive.