MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
MSU Presidential Debate II finklej MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-02-2010 09:11 AM
Questions for MSU Presidential Debate #1 emtee10 Presidentials 2010 0 01-25-2010 05:12 PM

MSU Presidential Debate #1

The MSU Presidential All-Candidates Debate will occur on Tuesday, January 26th at noon in the MUSC Atrium.

Come out and get informed.

florencem., lorend all say thanks to finklej for this post.
Published by
Vice President Education

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 01-24-2010 at 09:36 AM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
I encourage all students to come to this. It gives you a good indicator of which candidates know what the role of the president is, and how many of their promises are attainable.

Unfortunately I can only go for the first half hour because of another meeting! :(

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 01-24-2010 at 01:36 PM   #3
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff
Program: Chemical Engineering
Year: Masters

Liked: 633 Times
When I read the words "Presidential Debate" I immediately thought of Obama, McCain and my TV and got super excited.
Then I remembered I'll have to wait till 2012 for that..
Still excited; just miss those Americans and their politics.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 01-24-2010 at 01:59 PM   #4
McIntyre
Program: Psychology, Neuroscience & Behaviour
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 182 Times
Is there a format yet for it? In the past these debates have been more of a question/answer not really a debate - hope to see more debate this year!

Old 01-24-2010 at 03:47 PM   #5
nick1988
Program: Civil Engineering
Year: Fourth

Liked: 16 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McIntyre View Post
Is there a format yet for it? In the past these debates have been more of a question/answer not really a debate - hope to see more debate this year!
There will be opportunities for candidates to give rebuttals but because of time constraints and the complexities of seven candidates, they will have to be selective in the times they choose to refute others' points.

lorend, McIntyre all say thanks to nick1988 for this post.
Old 01-24-2010 at 06:19 PM   #6
McMaxwell
Program: Commerce
Year: Third

Liked: 19 Times
Does the MSU plan on filming this? Kind of a good idea if they are. Though I assume there's a by-law preventing it. I'm kidding! Kind of.

james2255, micadjems like this.
Old 01-24-2010 at 06:27 PM   #7
deadpool
X-Man
Program: Fighting
Year: Other

Liked: 394 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMaxwell View Post
Does the MSU plan on filming this? Kind of a good idea if they are. Though I assume there's a by-law preventing it. I'm kidding! Kind of.
Creative thinking within the MSU? Thats grounds for censure.

Marlowe likes this.
Old 01-26-2010 at 08:38 AM   #8
sew12
Elite Member
Program: Multimedia

Liked: 473 Times
Bumping this because its today.

I'm sticking around campus anyway today so I'm going to go check this out.

I think I've narrowed my decision down to a few candidates but I want to go hear them speak, see how they are in person and how I feel they'd be as a leader based on their manner, how they articulate their platform etc. Also some times this gives you an idea about how less visible/popular candidates are and if you'd be interested in supporting them. Its not always the frontrunners that would make the best choice, unfortunately they usually win but at least if you're educated on all the candidates you can rest assured that you made a choice you felt was good, not just the popular choice. I favoured Matt Terry to win last year's race after hearing him speak, and learning more about him as opposed to the frontrunners.

Saw the chairs and everything all set up this morning. If you have the time today check the debate out at 12 in MUSC.

lorend says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 01-26-2010 at 09:19 AM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
YAY! More thread bumping!

Also, if there is something specific you would like to ask the candidates (note, it must be a general questions for ALL of them, not related to a particular one), I'm sure Jon and Nick (the CRO and DRO) would appreciate them!

I'll be there, for a little bit at least with my camera...and purple.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-26-2010 at 01:13 PM   #10
sew12
Elite Member
Program: Multimedia

Liked: 473 Times
Just got back. It really helped me decide approximately how to rank the candidates on the preferential ballot. I not set on the order of 1-2 yet but I definitely know who I do not want running the MSU next year.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search