MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
MSU Presidentials Approach KaesoPublius MSU & On-Campus Services 6 01-12-2009 11:19 PM

MSU Presidentials are coming...

Hello all!

MSU Presidentials are just around the corner.... and MacInsiders tends to be a hot spot for discussions and debates about different platforms and candidates. It is a great arena to learn more about who the different candidates are and what they can do for you as a student.

There are also a number of referenda coming up which will determine the future of your Health and Dental Plan, the HSR bus pass, the MSU's constitution as well as one for Engineers without Borders (EWB).

Are you planning on voting?

I encourage you to vote as the MSU President sets the direction for the organization. In order to have your priorities at the helm, make sure you vote for the person who represents them. For example, sustainability was a large tenet of my platform and was reflected in the priorities of the MSU this year (the farm stand, more bike racks on campus, lobbying for light-rail transit....)

In order to make an informed choice, I encourage you to read the MSU's State of the Union 2010/2011. It will help you to understand what the MSU does, so you can evaluate what you think needs to be changed and who you think is the right person to do so. It will also shed more light on the referenda for the health/dental plans, HSR and the constitution.

I am the current President of the MSU, so please feel free to email me if you have any questions about the organization or what the President does. As well, I really encourage you to come out for the State of the Union address to hear the document summarized followed by a Q&A session!

What: State of the Union address
When: Friday, January 21st, 12-2pm
Where: MUSC Atrium
Why: Figure out where your student fees are going, and learn about MSU initiatives, advocacy and services to help you make an informed choice for the next President

Last year when I was running for President, I remember people saying they didn't want to vote because they didn't even know what the last President did. As you elected me, the State of the Union is partially meant to explain what exactly it is that I (along with many others) have spent my year in office doing.

Hope to see you there.

Mary
[email protected] r.ca

huzaifa47, McIntyre all say thanks to mkozi for this post.

.:callen:., mellye, TBakht like this.
Published by

Article Tools

Attached Images
File Type: pdf MSU State of the Union 2010-2011.pdf (1.15 MB, 14 views)
Deleted Post
Old 01-16-2011 at 11:08 AM   #2
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill
Year: Masters

Liked: 423 Times
Hi Mary! Where's the list of candidates running this term?
Old 01-16-2011 at 11:11 AM   #3
mkozi
Program: Arts & Science
Year: Alumni

Liked: 102 Times
Hey Lizzie

I should have included that .... thank you!

The campaign period officially starts on WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 19 2011 at which time the list of candidates will be posted on the MSU website

MacInsiders always does a good job of getting the information up right away as well.
  Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 01-16-2011 at 11:16 AM   #4
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Okay, thank you! Also, do you happen to know if part-time students can vote? I know they don't actually fall under the MSU (although their tuition funds still go there), so I'm assuming not.

Old 01-16-2011 at 11:45 AM   #5
mkozi

Hey! Good question.

Nope, part-time students (less than 18 units) cannot vote in MSU elections. But, they don't pay MSU fees which means they do not pay the MSU operating fee, the HSR Bus Pass fee, the Health and Dental plan fees (though you can opt-out of these) as well as a number of other (full list of fees is in the State of the Union).

Part-time students pay completely separate fees into an organization called MAPS (McMaster Association of Part-Time Students).

As well, voting for MSU Presidentials will be ONLINE this year, which should encourage more students to vote.
Old 01-16-2011 at 11:46 AM   #6
Rakim
Account Locked
Program: English & Cultural Studies
Year: Second

Liked: 815 Times
"Every year you pay a portion of your student fees to the MSU, so I really encourage you to learn about where that money is going and what you are being provided for that investment. "

Well, isnt that great to know.

Afzal likes this.
Old 01-16-2011 at 03:51 PM   #7
mike_302
Elite Member
Program: Engineering & Society
Year: Other

Liked: 422 Times
"Every year I sorta regret paying a portion of my student fees..." is more like it.

Granted, Mary succeeded in creating that farmer's market stand like she had said, but I had only run across it 3 or 4 times in the season (and I'm in engineering, so I get around from building to building a lot... I don't have 5 classes a week and go home: I have 5 classes a day in 4 different buildings) and now it's done for her term. From those I know who attended: It was ridiculously expensive.

This is why we need a president next term who understands the general lack of care for the MSU, and who doesn't necessarily want to add features to it, but wants to make students care more about the Society/Union as it is.

Edit: Actually, it's not "we", because I can live by ignoring the MSU: It's easy with such a large engineering society...

Last edited by mike_302 : 01-16-2011 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-16-2011 at 05:16 PM   #8
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

I disagree, I think Mary did a good job. There's really only so much one can do in one term.
Old 01-16-2011 at 05:26 PM   #9
Bhaltair
Elite Member
Program: Electrical & Computer Engineering

Liked: 158 Times
I have a feeling there will be a low turnout in voting.

Students voted no for Coca Cola last year and surprise surprise, MSU signed a contract with Pepsi. What's the point of the vote anyways? Coca Cola have better products in my own opinion.

Krusenik says thanks to Bhaltair for this post.

Krusenik likes this.
Old 01-16-2011 at 05:34 PM   #10
mkozi

The farm stand ran every Thursday from 11-5 outside the Nina de Villiers memorial garden. Given the growing season, it was open for a limited time (8 weeks) - a couple of times we had to move it indoors to the MUSC as it was raining. However, it will be back next year. We are looking at running it two days a week for a shorter time period (around 11-3) this coming summer/fall. Prices are also something we are trying to lower, but keep in mind that almost any food bought directly from farmers will be more expensive than food in grocery stores. However, we are researching different farms to work with to keep the costs even lower this upcoming year.

I also really would encourage you to read the State of the Union as the farm stand isn't the only project I worked on. I'm not trying to prove you wrong in terms of disagreeing with my focus this year, you are very much entitled to believe the MSU needs a different style of leadership (and with MSU presidentials coming up, no better time!) I just want to make sure you have the full story

And Lizzie... thank you. I appreciate it. I agree that only so much can be accomplished within a term, but a lot of progress can be made if we strive to create more continuity within the organization. Hopefully the State of the Union will give students the chance to evaluate which projects we've undertaken and decide on areas where they would like to see this kind of continuity.

Last edited by mkozi : 01-16-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-16-2011 at 05:37 PM   #11
mkozi

Hey Bhaltair,

The MSU hasn't actually signed a contract with Pepsi, that's the University (Hospitality services, vending machines). Unfortunately, the MSU has no say over any operations but our own. If you visit Union Market or TwelvEighty (our retail operations) you'll see that we offer a diversity of products.

There is a paragraph about it on pg 7 of the State of the Union:

No Exclusive Cold Beverage Agreements
In a referendum held concurrent to the Presidential election of 2010, with a majority vote of 55.4 percent, 1,966 students voted no to the MSU participating in any future exclusive deals with Coca Cola. We take this direction seriously. Since then, we have been speaking with many cold beverage suppliers regarding non-exclusive supplier arrangements. We have not reached a suitable agreement to date that honours the intent of the referendum, provides the costing we need and the marketing support on which students rely. We hope to have these discussion concluded by the end of February.
Old 01-16-2011 at 06:38 PM   #12
Bhaltair
Elite Member
Program: Electrical & Computer Engineering

Liked: 158 Times
Thanks Mary, much appreciated for taking the time to clear things up.

I will stop by the Union Market sometimes and see what they have available.

mkozi likes this.
Old 01-16-2011 at 08:46 PM   #13
Marlowe
Elite Member
Program: Nursing
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 422 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
"Every year I sorta regret paying a portion of my student fees..." is more like it.

This is why we need a president next term who understands the general lack of care for the MSU, and who doesn't necessarily want to add features to it, but wants to make students care more about the Society/Union as it is.

Edit: Actually, it's not "we", because I can live by ignoring the MSU: It's easy with such a large engineering society...
Most students don't care about the MSU in its current form, I don't really think that's debatable. But is that related to the leadership? Lack of knowledge about the MSU? The services being offered not being relevant to students? Basically, what would it take for the MSU to make you care?

This is a question to everyone, by the way.
Old 01-16-2011 at 08:51 PM   #14
RyanC
Elite Member
Year: Other

Liked: 2,314 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe View Post
... Basically, what would it take for the MSU to make you care?

This is a question to everyone, by the way.
Nothing, to be honest. I have a certain idea about the MSU in my mind that nothing can change it. Maybe if they did something big, like make students ***** less about MUGSI one year, I might take notice.
Old 01-16-2011 at 09:00 PM   #15
Mickel
Program: Kinesiology

Liked: 12 Times
Just please no more guys campaigning by coming into class and singing with their guitar.

collinbf likes this.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search