Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PDF Textbooks Pay919 Academics 0 09-17-2010 08:33 AM
Textbooks for Med Rad Black.Mamba Academics 4 08-01-2010 11:55 PM

How much are you spending on textbooks?

Old 01-10-2013 at 03:11 PM   #1
N.Cheng

Liked: 20 Times

How much are you spending on textbooks?
So I keep pretty good track of all my expenses, which means I've kept track of all the materials I've had to buy for University including textbooks and other materials (i.e. lab coats). Since I'm in my fourth year and I've purchased everything I'll already need to finish my University career, I decided it would be good to look at how much I actually spent on textbooks and how much I sold my textbooks for.

My net total came to $500, which seemed ridiculously little to me. I had expected the total be higher because there were textbooks and materials I was unable to sell since the editions had changed or it was custom courseware. Also, I actually bought pretty much all textbooks that was required or recommended even if the prof had said it was strictly supplementary. So all in all, textbook spending was not all that bad. In fact, the three years I received the textbook grant of $150 covers the $500 and I still have textbooks I may be able to sell next year if I'm willing to make the effort.

Of course, people from different programs will spend different amounts and there are a lot of factors involved. So how much have you spent on textbooks in total?
Old 01-10-2013 at 03:43 PM   #2
jim1
Elite Member

Liked: 360 Times

I don't really remember how much i spent, but just like you, i didn't make a lot of money selling them because of changes in edition and such. Lots of first year students didn't want to buy some of my books because they were not the new edition. I try to tell them it doesn't matter, but they don't listen

alyssarr, Malka like this.
Old 01-10-2013 at 04:09 PM   #3
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 242 Times

I'm in Health Sci...all of my textbooks are free online :.)
Old 01-10-2013 at 05:48 PM   #4
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

This term was like ~50 dollars.
I got some ebooks but some books I wanted hardcopy since easier to study from. Try buying used on FB or macinsiders. I bought a new international version of my book on abebooks (international versions are usually the same maybe slightly different, alot cheaper)
Old 01-10-2013 at 06:07 PM   #5
N.Cheng

Liked: 20 Times

I have a thing against just getting online textbooks just cause I concentrate better with and just personally prefer having a physical book. But yeah getting ebooks definitely saves a lot of money if you're okay with that

alyssarr likes this.
Old 01-10-2013 at 07:27 PM   #6
anonanon987
Power Abuser

Liked: 459 Times

I spent $80 this term..on one class..

Damn COMM 2FA3 :(