MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
gmail issues Awesomeness Residence & Housing 2 10-01-2010 10:10 AM
wtf is wrong with googles gmail client? Ownaginatios Computers & Tech 7 08-11-2010 01:35 AM
MUSS Down blackdragon Academics 4 12-30-2009 07:19 PM
problems with gmail lorend General Discussion 12 09-14-2009 11:27 AM
How can I forward my MUSS emails to Gmail? HeatherH General Discussion 7 07-09-2009 04:50 PM

MUSS to GMail?

Old 02-25-2011 at 12:11 PM   #1
TheLegacy

Liked: 11 Times

MUSS to GMail?
I know we shouldn't expect much from UTS and the MSU, but wasn't the MUSS to GMail transition planned during Reading Week? It's Friday and I'm still using MUSS with its 3KB of storage space..

Medicine I
Biology III (BSc. 2011)
Old 02-25-2011 at 12:14 PM   #2
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

It was planned to happen before students return from reading week, however if it hasn't been done yet I think you can expect that there were delays. I'll try to find out more info for you.
Old 02-25-2011 at 12:20 PM   #3
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

I asked the same thing a fews weeks back and I think huzaifa (sp?) said that lawyers were going back and forth so its delayed.

Besides if your concerned about the limited storage space then just forward all your mail to hotmail/gmail and dont keep a copy.

Last edited by AnguishedEnd : 02-25-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-25-2011 at 12:41 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

I'm more concerned about the change in e-mail addresses as I'm expecting important e-mails in March. My biggest concern is what will happen to the old e-mail address once the new one is put in place. Will it immediately be disabled or will it be still active until the end of the year?
Old 02-25-2011 at 12:46 PM   #5
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
I'm more concerned about the change in e-mail addresses as I'm expecting important e-mails in March. My biggest concern is what will happen to the old e-mail address once the new one is put in place. Will it immediately be disabled or will it be still active until the end of the year?
There is no change in email address. Your McMaster account will still be [email protected]

What'll be changing is the interface (It should look like GMail if UTS doesn't decide to make any changes to it), Features (You'll have access to most of the features of a normal GMail account), and storage (You'll be able to store more than 2 emails at once...)

jhan523 says thanks to Tailsnake for this post.

jhan523 likes this.
Old 02-25-2011 at 12:59 PM   #6
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

What I want to know is if everything currently in the inbox of our MUSS accounts will be deleted, because if so, I'm going to have to do a lot of forwarding and soon!
Old 02-25-2011 at 03:02 PM   #7
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizziepizzie View Post
What I want to know is if everything currently in the inbox of our MUSS accounts will be deleted, because if so, I'm going to have to do a lot of forwarding and soon!
From my understanding you will still get to keep your current muss account and will even be able to use it if you somehow prefer it for the next while so you can forward them at your leisure.

And yes the latest update is still transition/back and forth, what we have to be understanding off is that Universities are very bureaucratic in nature and as a result change management is something that is taken as a bit of a challenge and takes time to filter through and so on. It's very easy to implement something like this at a private corporation where change is very fluent and the red tape and liability issues alot smaller. I've learnt that first hand by being a member of the Mac Systems Renewal Steering Committee(which is dealing with MUGSI).

I've heard unconfirmed rumours that MUSS might go down around March 5th for it's change to Gmail, but right now all I'll say is please wait for a campus wide email by UTS for a confirm answer.

And TheLegacy, I am not quite sure how you are blaming the MSU for it; as someone directly involved in the project from day one I can say that honestly we did our end of the entire thing/the bargain at a ridiculously quick pace. Now it's all upto the Administration

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

RyanC says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.