MacInsiders Logo

My 1st robbery experienced in this country.

Old 10-05-2009 at 10:23 AM   #31
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Like others have said, never leave your valuables unattended. This goes for every single place in the world - not just Canada.

And this has nothing to do with "the truth about Canada and McMaster". People get robbed all over the world. Canada's crime rate isn't as high as many other countries.

It sucks that you were robbed. But please don't make this about Canada being a bad place to live. I've lived in Canada (Hamilton, no less!) for 21 years and I've never encountered this kind of thing. But to be fair, that's probably because I would never leave anything of mine unattended.

Also, I don't think blaming the guards was a good idea. I think by "guard", you mean security. I REALLY doubt they took your stuff. It's just not their job to watch random bags on the street. Plus, if you were going into a pub, why not just take your bag with you? Thinking it would be safe on the street for an hour or more is very naive.

Sorry. I'm not trying to be rude. But being from another country isn't really an excuse for this kind of thing. There is crime everywhere. Even if your hometown was perfect with no crime at all, you should know that not everywhere in the world will be the same.
I wouldn't apologize about your potential rudeness. Imo it's rude for this person to make assumptions and generalizations about Canada, Canadians and McMaster based on this incident. Again the person who took their stuff is an a**hole but this is their fault. Leaving your stuff outside is incredibly stupid and naive.

I'm slightly offended by their generalizations and conclusions about this country, its people and McMaster students b/c they were dumb enough to leave their stuff lying around outside, unattended.

maverick1990 likes this.
Old 10-05-2009 at 12:21 PM   #32
jachill
Vampire Slayer

Liked: 40 Times

Quote:
Did you fight back?
I got away before it got too bad. I was in grade 9 at the time so I don't think my punches would've been very effective anyway...not to mention it was three against one.
Old 10-05-2009 at 12:36 PM   #33
Flag

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jachill View Post
I got away before it got too bad. I was in grade 9 at the time so I don't think my punches would've been very effective anyway...not to mention it was three against one.
Yeah, I would probably fall on the ground and start crying my eyes out... I'm kind of scared of getting mugged now because of Macinsiders, i've read so many stories of it around here!! gaww..
Old 10-06-2009
vwxy245
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 10-21-2009 at 06:21 PM   #34
collymolotov

Liked: 15 Times

you're kidding me, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by myunghm View Post
As an international learner, when I came to this country, I had, yet skeptically, this universal notion that Canada is an ideal place - where trust is a core value.

it's not only the first robbery in Canada, but also in my life. I did not expect it, and it is difficult for me to cope with such involuntary and unfamiliar feelings against others, whose definition has suddenly changed. Yet, I feel much better now since listening to people sharing valuable opinions - I do feel much better.

Here is a question that I would be very thankful to know: "what is the 'truth' about the situations in Canada, specifically around MAC?"

Your story made me laugh. Its as if you expected Canada to be some kind of Utopia where everyone is happy and loves one another.

Welcome to reality, kiddo. You're living in the crack capital of Ontario, the Canadian Detroit, Steel-f*ckin-city, and you assumed nobody would take your stuff? WHY THE HELL DID YOU LEAVE IT OUTSIDE IN THE FIRST PLACE?

I don't normally laugh at people who've suffered a misfortune, but your naiivity brought this upon you. I cannot _BELIEVE_ you were so trusting of an entire city. If you live in that building, you're a stones throw away from a crack house and an entire block of ghettoized tenements.

Good, freaking God, do they not have criminals where you're from?

Welcome to the Real World, where you will be promptly eaten alive. I may seem harsh right now, but if this kind of scolding encourages you to toughen up and develop some savvy, then writing it will not be a waste of time.

Edit: This thread had been submitted to the REDDIT community

Last edited by collymolotov : 10-22-2009 at 08:18 AM.

Jed11 likes this.