MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
THINGS you wished you knew! JeetDevDesai First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 491 05-28-2018 12:00 PM
University Juve General Discussion 36 10-12-2010 07:08 PM
Course at Another University Banshee Academics 1 07-10-2010 12:04 PM
How is University? adam1993 General Discussion 42 03-11-2009 05:56 PM

In my first year of University I wish I knew (G&M)

Old 09-01-2009 at 03:22 PM   #1
jmbauman
Union Market Manager

Liked: 32 Times

In my first year of University I wish I knew (G&M)
I found this article in the Globe and Mail today.

While some of the advice seems straight forward (turn off the TV) to down right harsh (the turkey drop), I would definitely agree with most of it.

It's applicable to upper years too. I wish I had gone out with more professors. I've been out with one of my profs, and it was one of the most enriching experiences I've had. Stories about a professors university days put ours to shame.
Old 09-01-2009 at 03:26 PM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

The guy who said you shouldn't kill yourself in the first year in terms of grades, is well, stupid. No offense to him, but, first year is important in terms of your culmulative GPA, which employers DO look at from time to time.
Old 09-01-2009 at 03:30 PM   #3
jmbauman
Union Market Manager

it was more of a "don't spend every minute of your life studying". He missed out on spending more time with a friend who tragically passed which was a huge issue for him. I understand and appreciate the need for a solid study session and the importance of grades, but you don't get a do-over on first year.
Old 09-01-2009 at 03:38 PM   #4
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Now is your opportunity to be two-timing, indecent and irresponsible.

I'm strongly opposed to that sentiment.
While many of us believe this is the age of feminism, this is also the age of uncertainty for average woman as she works to define herself and her role in the bigger picture and changing 21st century. "How sexy is classy and respectful toward myself?" "How do I manage my job as a corporate lawyer and my toddler?"

Encouraging stupidity like that is just...plain stupid.
To some people "irresponsible" means protection free sex. And let's be frank here, having a child at 19 is not as easy or as glamorous as it appears on TV.

And to others "indecent" means posting nude pictures of yourself to people who take advantage of that fact or developing a spontaneous allergy to clothes. And those are moments you will regret later.

Some of these posters...should have refrained from this...

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 09-01-2009
Lois
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 09-01-2009 at 05:15 PM   #5
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post

While many of us believe this is the age of feminism, this is also the age of uncertainty for average woman as she works to define herself and her role in the bigger picture and changing 21st century. "How sexy is classy and respectful toward myself?" "How do I manage my job as a corporate lawyer and my toddler?"

To some people "irresponsible" means protection free sex. And let's be frank here, having a child at 19 is not as easy or as glamorous as it appears on TV.

And to others "indecent" means posting nude pictures of yourself to people who take advantage of that fact or developing a spontaneous allergy to clothes. And those are moments you will regret later.

Although I completely agree with you, I also agree with the idea that the author is trying to get across. Having a boyfriend was absolutely the worst thing I could have done first year of university. I think I would have made more friends if I looked like the hunch back of notre dame and was single instead of looking like I do now and being in a relationship.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Last edited by lawleypop : 09-01-2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-01-2009 at 05:20 PM   #6
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:

Leah McLaren is a columnist for Globe Style.

Leah McLaren is a sl*t.

Old 09-01-2009 at 05:36 PM   #7
xo.monica
M.I.'s most trolled

Liked: 325 Times

I completely disagree with this Leah girl. >.>

that is all I'm going to say.
Old 09-01-2009 at 05:39 PM   #8
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Leah McLaren is a columnist for Globe Style.

Leah McLaren is a sl*t.
That's a pretty nasty thing to say about her.

Maybe the wording of her last sentence was a little over the top but I don't think its appropriate to call her such a nasty name b/c she regrets not dumping her highschool boyfriend. I'd say a lot of girls wish they'd let go over that highs school sweetheart before University. Not doing it just makes a lot of people resentful of all the stuff they missed out on and the relationship ends anyway and its a lose-lose.

I'm not saying I agree with Leah either I'm just saying calling her a slut (or calling any other women the same) is out of line.

katie_batt likes this.
Old 09-01-2009 at 05:42 PM   #9
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

I am tired of people associating "live life" with "drink" or "find a partner" or "trip and fall, landing with your tongue in another person's mouth".

That short sighted, pituitary gland driven nonsense is fine in high school but not at a cost of $7222 a year.

What is really unnerving is that these comments are perpetrated on a frequent basis as are the "grow up, you're independent now" ones, but very rarely do we hear comments encouraging others to grow and behave and treat each other as human beings, with civility and comraderie.
I know several people starting university who behave worse than toddlers and several other people who take what is in their life for granted.

Why don't we ever hear somebody saying
"In my first year of university, I wish I knew how to appreciate more and stop wiping my feet over other human beings" because that, and not body shots, and not our breast sizes, and not the people we sleep with is what really matters.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Last edited by goodnews.inc : 09-01-2009 at 09:35 PM. Reason: *Sighted not sized

Old 09-01-2009 at 05:56 PM   #10
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
I'm not saying I agree with Leah either I'm just saying calling her a slut is out of line.
I respectfully disagree. She straight up said to go out, sleep with guys, and cheat. That is basically the definition of the word. On top of that, I'm currently dating my high school girlfriend, so it clearly can be done. I'm glad she doesn't agree with Leah's nonsense. Taking advice like that is what leads to women getting pregnant at 19 and ruining their lives.
Old 09-01-2009 at 06:00 PM   #11
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I respectfully disagree. She straight up said to go out, sleep with guys, and cheat. That is basically the definition of the word. On top of that, I'm currently dating my high school girlfriend, so it clearly can be done. I'm glad she doesn't agree with Leah's nonsense. Taking advice like that is what leads to women getting pregnant at 19 and ruining their lives.
Greg, you stole my line of thought as made clear by that evident reference to babies at 19.
You owe me $951.95.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 09-01-2009 at 06:02 PM   #12
jmbauman
Union Market Manager

at least they're not 15 and getting pregnant like the girls from my high school?
Old 09-01-2009 at 06:02 PM   #13
PTGregD
Elite Member

Quote:
Greg, you stole my line of thought as made clear by that evident reference to babies at 19.
You owe me $951.95.
I agree, I did totally steal your line on purpose

I'll write you a cheque.
Old 09-01-2009 at 06:05 PM   #14
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
I agree, I did totally steal your line on purpose

I'll write you a cheque.
Thanks.