Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Science Social myoozik MacInsiders Announcements 3 10-27-2009 03:50 PM

is my social life ruined?

Old 08-26-2009 at 08:38 PM   #1
britishCanad

Liked: 0 Times

is my social life ruined?
hello, I currently am in England living there for most of my life (before then i lived in Ancaster) and i am flying into Canada the the Saturday before term starts so i will be missing Frosh week. I am also not living on Residence (i live in Ancaster and can drive to Mac everyday) so by missing frosh and not living on residence is my social life at Mac gonna be awful?
Old 08-26-2009 at 08:44 PM   #2
jordanrogers

Liked: 1 Time

No of course not!
You will meet lots of people in your lectures and tutorials - as well as any other clubs/sports/activities you do throughout the year.
Old 08-26-2009 at 08:46 PM   #3
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Yeah, I attended like one event at Welcome Week and I was off-campus, and I met people.
Old 08-26-2009 at 08:46 PM   #4
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

No, don't worry about it. Make sure you're open and social when you're on campus and get involved in a club or some other group on campus!

I was an off-campus student in first year, and I made some of my best friends by getting involved with the McMaster Science Society in my first year.
Old 08-26-2009 at 08:47 PM   #5
Rob Mac

Liked: 14 Times

well welcome week starts on saturday before term starts so you won't miss it if you want to come.
Old 08-26-2009 at 08:47 PM   #6
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishCanad View Post
hello, I currently am in England living there for most of my life (before then i lived in Ancaster) and i am flying into Canada the the Saturday before term starts so i will be missing Frosh week. I am also not living on Residence (i live in Ancaster and can drive to Mac everyday) so by missing frosh and not living on residence is my social life at Mac gonna be awful?
Hey no mate, missing frosh week is sort of not a good idea at first glance.
But then again I only made acquaintances during Frosh week since I myself was living off campus and was international so it was all pretty damn wierd!

There are a number of other ways to get involved and meet new people!

The SOCS society has regular socials where you can meet new people. They have intramural sports teams as well so there are all sorts of social settings to get to know the SOCS community(it isn't THAT big since most offcampus students don't renew their membership after first year, you'll eventually get acquainted with familiar faces)

Other then that intramurals are an awesome way to meet people generally, it doesn't matter if you aren't that good just come out and play. Other then that Mac has an active pickup sports scene. I regularly play pickup soccer twice a week without fail with the same set of guys.

Or you could join a club or organization during clubsfest! Its a good way to meet people with similar interests.

Go to Poker nights organized by Campus Events in October I think, they are for free and a good way to meet a familiar set of people!

Other then that some people make friends via tutorial group presentations. Though I personally was far to annoyed most of the time by my group members to do that But one of my good friends once used to be a random person in my second term tutorial I had never met before!

Ah apart from that just remember there are alot of people in the same situation as you! Oh and getting involved in student leadership and other volunteer oppurtunities is another way to have a sense of belonging....

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 08-26-2009 at 08:48 PM   #7
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

There are quite a number of first year students who live off campus (and often commute). You're pretty lucky because you're in the Hamilton area and are able to stick around on campus for late night club meetings, and get togethers if necessary.

If you're flying to Canada the Saturday before the term starts (which is the 5th), you're actually arriving during the first few days of Welcome Week. I suggest coming on campus and really getting to know the awesome fellow first year SOCS.

Taunton likes this.
Old 08-26-2009 at 08:49 PM   #8
myoozik

Liked: 42 Times

Oh and by the way, if you have an English accent, that will probably make you stick out 345234 times IN A GOOD WAY. Chicks dig that. hahaha
Old 08-26-2009 at 08:51 PM   #9
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoozik View Post
Oh and by the way, if you have an English accent, that will probably make you stick out 345234 times IN A GOOD WAY. Chicks dig that. hahaha
lol totally! hahahahh I actually randomly remember a scottish exchange student last year who I used to play soccer pickups with who because of his accent was well how can I say "popular" on weekends and thursday nights

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 08-26-2009 at 08:53 PM   #10
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

I would befriend someone if they had an accent because I'd want to listen to it all the time.

Of course, they'd have to be friendly and cool to hang out with too! :p
Old 08-26-2009 at 08:54 PM   #11
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishCanad View Post
I didn't live in residence and I didn't do frosh (because it sounded lame)... I made some friends... you will too.. try joining clubs that you are interested in and you can also make friends in tutorials.. i found that strangers are friendly in tutorials and even in lecture during the first week people sitting next to me introduced themselves. if all else fails, i'll be a friend (:
Old 08-26-2009 at 09:07 PM   #12
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
I didn't do frosh (because it sounded lame)
Well that's quite unfortunate :(
Old 08-26-2009 at 09:08 PM   #13
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

No, I skipped out on a lot of WW events. You'll meet people in classes and through clubs other events. : ) Don't worry about it.
Old 08-26-2009 at 09:27 PM   #14
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

If all else fails, I'll be your friend.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 08-26-2009 at 10:32 PM   #15
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Everyone go to poker night, highly recommended !!!