heyy guys

Im in my 1st year humanities and these are my courses:

PHILOSOPHY 1BO3 and 1A03
CULTURAL STUDIES AND CRITICAL THEORY 1CS3
MULTIMEDIA 1A03, 1B03
LINGUISTICS 1A03, 1AA3
COMMUNICATION STUDIES 1A03
FRENCH 1K06

None of these are electives, Also notice that 4 of them have 6 six units. I decided I ddnt wana waste my time on electives this year and use my 1st year to experiment on things that I might like to study more deeply in my 2nd year.

So do think its a good move? Is it something that people normally do? Any advice/comments are welcome

Thankss
Old 08-01-2011 at 05:31 AM   #2
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Choosing the courses that interest you IS choosing electives, but it's definitely a good idea to pick courses in disciplines that you might want to major next year. It'll really help you narrow down your choices when you decide on a program for second year! And that's exactly the whole point of first year- to expose you to a lot of different disciplines and then you decide what you're most interested in and continue on with that in second year. So yes, it's definitely a good idea!

wohoo says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.
Old 08-01-2011 at 06:22 AM   #3
wohoo

Liked: 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Choosing the courses that interest you IS choosing electives, but it's definitely a good idea to pick courses in disciplines that you might want to major next year. It'll really help you narrow down your choices when you decide on a program for second year! And that's exactly the whole point of first year- to expose you to a lot of different disciplines and then you decide what you're most interested in and continue on with that in second year. So yes, it's definitely a good idea!

once again, thanks alot sara
Old 08-01-2011 at 09:24 AM   #4
ghumanm

Liked: 10 Times

hey !, i`m in humanities as well and i`m taking philosophy 1BO3 and 1A03 (:

wohoo likes this.
Old 08-01-2011 at 11:46 AM   #5
J. Dorey
Elite Member

Liked: 169 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by wohoo View Post
heyy guys

Im in my 1st year humanities and these are my courses:

PHILOSOPHY 1BO3 and 1A03
CULTURAL STUDIES AND CRITICAL THEORY 1CS3
MULTIMEDIA 1A03, 1B03
LINGUISTICS 1A03, 1AA3
COMMUNICATION STUDIES 1A03
FRENCH 1K06

None of these are electives, Also notice that 4 of them have 6 six units. I decided I ddnt wana waste my time on electives this year and use my 1st year to experiment on things that I might like to study more deeply in my 2nd year.

So do think its a good move? Is it something that people normally do? Any advice/comments are welcome

Thankss
That's exactly what I did first year. I originally left high school and was 100% set on a History major. I'm now doing a Double in CSCT and English because of first year, so things change.
Just to let you know, CSCT 1CS3 and Philosophy 1B03 are both really, really great classes. 1CS3 was my favourite though.
Old 08-01-2011 at 01:39 PM   #6
wohoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Dorey View Post
That's exactly what I did first year. I originally left high school and was 100% set on a History major. I'm now doing a Double in CSCT and English because of first year, so things change.
Just to let you know, CSCT 1CS3 and Philosophy 1B03 are both really, really great classes. 1CS3 was my favourite though.

seriously jesse?? thats awesome!! funny cuz CSCT and philos are the most courses that im excited about! haha so that mean that youve taken MMEDIA as well ryt?? Who do you think is a better prof. Hamilton or Duran?? :S
Old 08-01-2011 at 06:22 PM   #7
kirsten..!

Liked: 26 Times

thats what i did first year too, i was set on getting into the social work program so i took social work 1a06, then i took a bunch of different courses that seemed interesting that would allow me to get into different programs if i wanted to (so like instead of just taking one health studies course i took both, which would allow the opportunity to get into the health aging and society program or w.e!).. by the end of first year i had like 5 different options for second year programs, and i actually totally changed directions and went into geo instead of social work like i originally planned first year is about discovering what you really want to do, by taking different electives youll be able to see what you really like and what you might want to do in second year !

wohoo says thanks to kirsten..! for this post.

wohoo likes this.
Old 08-01-2011 at 10:27 PM   #8
trineee_

Heyy I'm in Humanities too, we have a ton of courses together 1CS3, MMedia 1A03 and Communications

wohoo likes this.
Old 08-02-2011 at 07:46 AM   #9
wohoo

thank you soo much kirsten

thats awesome, katrina!!.. looking forward to them