MacInsiders Logo
Old 05-16-2011 at 12:28 PM   #1
ABCDXYZ

Liked: 0 Times

Need Help!
Hey everyone, I was just wondering how easy it is to tranfser into the commerce program. Do you recommend attempting a transfer by coming to mac through social science, or should I go directly to Ryerson?

thanks
Old 05-16-2011 at 01:21 PM   #2
evilgino

Liked: 56 Times

lulz ryerson
Old 05-16-2011 at 01:30 PM   #3
kousharee

Hey there,

I don't know the specifics for commerce exactly but I switched into Science from Social Science. From my experience, it's not impossible, but it is kind of a pain of a process. Dealing with two faculties requires a lot of running around, but if you come to Mac and immediately start taking the first year Commerce requirements, you should be fine for transfer by year two. I completed my first year requirements half-way through my second year to switch, but Mac will not transfer you in the middle of the year. The difficulty with this is simply that when you go to add various Commerce courses to your timetable through SOLAR, it's likely that you'll need special permissions for many of those courses which will require you to run around campus and obtain that permission manually from academic advisers and profs.

Unless you're set on Mac, it may be simpler to go directly into a Commerce program and Ryerson, but I don't know how that program compares to ours, so you may want to speak to someone in guidance.

Best of luck!
Old 05-16-2011 at 01:41 PM   #4
alh24
Elite Member

Liked: 243 Times

Additionally, keep in mind that transferring into Commerce is very competitive. I'm not sure if it's still this way (someone correct me if it isn't), but you only have one shot at transferring into Commerce II.
Old 05-16-2011 at 03:00 PM   #5
amare

Liked: 22 Times

I was trying to transfer from Soc Sci into Commerce this yr too and trust me its not easy. They usually accept 20-30 people a year from more than 100 applicants and you usually need at least an 8-9 avg (75-80%) to compete. The required courses you have to take also make the task a little harder because now they are getting stricter as to which courses you have to take to get in. For example you cant take Multimedia anymore as a requirement (this course is probably one of the easiest courses in first year) but instead your limited to Computer Science or Engineering courses which are harder. Anyways if I were you I would avoid transferring from Soc Sci and if you really want to get into Commerce stay back another yr.
Old 05-16-2011 at 03:37 PM   #6
ABCDXYZ

Thanks for all the replies,
just wondering, amare were you able to transfer?
Old 05-16-2011 at 03:39 PM   #7
ABCDXYZ

and would you recommend going into economics and math majors? Also does it have internship lol