MacInsiders Logo
Old 02-21-2011 at 04:04 PM   #1
ohhlalaa

Liked: 0 Times

Need Help Please!!!
Hello everyone and first off i would like to thank everyone in advance for taking your time to read and help me.

So, im currently a grade 11 student that goes to an ontario highschool. now i know u guys might be like "WHOA" grade 11, and ur posting in a uni website. but just hear me out.

So im really planning to go to Mac when i graduate and hoping to get into Life Sci/Health Sci. But i have a few questions about the courses i need to take in my 12th year to help me achieve this goal

So the deadline for course selection for my highschool is closing and i have yet to choose my courses for my 12th year. I can choose only 8 courses and i have already choosen most of them..

1. English
2. Adv. Functions
3. Calc
4.Bio
5.Chem
6.Physics
7.(a social sci/history course)
8.??????

The social sci/history courses my highschool offers include things like "individuals and family living". But i'm wondering if i take this course, which is obviously not realted to life sci/health sci can i still count it towards my top 6 courses even though its totally not related.

+ I'm wondering what kinda courses should i take to prepare me for Life Sci/Health Sci.
there's a course called " Exercise Science" but i dont know if that really applies to life/health sci.

and can i take a completely non related/easy course for my 8th option and use it towards my top 6 for applying to Mac?

Thanks everyone and im sorry this post was SOOO long, but i just wanna make sure my future if set.
Old 02-21-2011 at 04:12 PM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

I have those courses right now alon with 2 spares. The 2 spares really help because I don't get much homework now. If you really want another class, I recommend Foods as it will boost your average. Exercise Science isn't needed for the Life/Health sci programs.

With the 6 courses you have selected already, just get a high average and you can get into any program pretty much.
Old 02-21-2011 at 04:13 PM   #3
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

For Health Sci you need:
English U
One of Advanced Functions U, Calculus and Vectors U, or Mathematics of Data Management U
Biology U
Chemistry U
One U or M course from Social Sciences (Geography, History, Law, Psychology, Sociology) or Humanities (Art, Drama, English, French, Music, other languages)
Completion of one additional U or M course in any subject area to total six credits

For Life Sci:
English U
Advanced Functions U or Calculus and Vectors U
Biology U
One of Advanced Functions U, Calculus and Vectors, Chemistry U or Physics U
Completion of two additional U or M courses to total six credit

So they'll look at the required courses + your other highest marks totaling six regardless if it's related to science or not. So it looks like you have all the requirements, in terms of the 8th course, I'd suggest taking a spare so you can take fewer courses and focus on getting great marks in the required classes. For a soc sci/humanities take whatever interests you because it's required for health sci.

hope that helps!

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 02-21-2011 at 04:17 PM   #4
tatski-p

Liked: 35 Times

Exercise science can help you quite a bit if you plan on taking any anatomy courses in first year. They're popular first year courses, but are pretty content heavy so any preparation you can get beforehand will be beneficial.

Other than that, the classes you're already planning on taking will be sufficient enough to prepare you. Anything more than that could be extra work you don't have to do (unless you're missing units for certain classes).
Old 02-21-2011 at 04:18 PM   #5
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

this is how health sci works. say the minimum cutoff is a 90 to get in. getting a 90 doesnt guarantee u getting in though, it simply means they will look at ur supplementary application. the supplementary application is where u talk about clubs/after school events that u do at school. I have had friends with amazing marks and decent afterschool participation (99% average) and still got rejected. Thus my advice to you, just get marks above the requirement and make sure ur supplementary application is spot on.
Old 02-21-2011 at 05:05 PM   #6
Mikob11
Account Locked

Liked: 60 Times

Take G12 Drama. It's an average booster and is also good for confidence.
Old 02-21-2011 at 05:09 PM   #7
PHLN
Oink! Oink! Oink! Oink!

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikob11 View Post
Or Finite Math if you are good in Math.
Old 02-21-2011 at 06:46 PM   #8
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikob11 View Post
lol. looks like i went to the wrong high school.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 02-22-2011 at 03:46 PM   #9
ohhlalaa

thanks a lot guys!!, i really appreciate the all the help!!
Old 02-22-2011 at 04:15 PM   #10
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Excersise science would be more beneficial, but its extra course load that could make you do poorer overall, depending on what type of student you are..
Old 02-22-2011 at 04:38 PM   #11
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

It is fairly 'easy' compared to the other sciences in my opinion, but as others said, 7 university classes can be a lot and may harm you especially since those are generally considered the hardest.
Old 02-22-2011 at 04:47 PM   #12
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Don't you have 4 classes a semester? I had 8 for my senior year (or whatever its called) and it wasn't that bad.

I guess it depends what you're taking when.. are you doing 2 maths for the first part of the year?
Old 02-22-2011 at 07:20 PM   #13
ohhlalaa

At my school were a sorta hybrid school. we get both semestered classes and non semestered classes. but the semestered classes are usually for the college kids and full year classes are for the uni kids. each period is 38 mins long, so yeah...

but can anyone (perferably those accepeted to Life Sci, this year 2011 or 2010) tell me what their avg was? i know its a bit early for ppl to be getting their acceptance letters, but im just wondering for those perhaps who got early accept.?
Old 02-22-2011 at 07:46 PM   #14
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

From the people I know that got early acceptance for life sci last year, the lowest average was 91.25.
Old 02-22-2011 at 09:52 PM   #15
KYLB0T

Liked: 130 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhlalaa View Post
8.??????
Gym. Nobody wants a fat scientist!

In all seriousness though, take Phys-Ed. It's fun, it's good for you, and it's pretty easy to get a decent mark.

Last edited by KYLB0T : 02-22-2011 at 09:55 PM.