MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Urgent Help Please!!!! sierrawin Academics 3 06-28-2013 03:54 PM
Urgent - Please help Kinder First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 05-07-2013 12:47 PM
Checked your exam times? Final Exam Schedule April 2013 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-25-2013 12:30 PM
Urgent Help! JamesMonroe First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-27-2011 01:13 AM

Need Info About Exam Deferrals, Urgent! Please Help :(

Old 12-15-2013 at 09:40 PM   #1
MaraudeRower

Liked: 0 Times

Need Info About Exam Deferrals, Urgent! Please Help :(
Hi everyone,

This winter, my parents (married for 20 years) have been fighting a TON and they finally broke the news to my 11-year-old sister and I two days ago that they're going to get a divorce. I have my last exam this Tuesday at 4PM. You can imagine how much studying I've done... between poring over old photos and crying about how the people I love the most don't love each other anymore.

Long story short, I really need to defer this exam. I understand that I will have to write the exam sometime during reading week, and am totally fine with that. The question is, how accommodating is the registrar for personal reasons to defer exams? I know that if I have a doctor's note you can pretty much defer the exam no questions asked, but what about personal/family issues?

Essentially, I'm wondering if I should be honest about the reason I need to defer my exam (just so you know, my eyes are like permanent puff balls these past few days and I well up with tears every time I talk about my parents/little sister, so I doubt I'll have difficulty having the counsellor/whoever I have to deal with sympathize with me), or should I get a doctor to write me a note saying that I was "sick" (even though I am not)?

I'm writing this on Sunday night and my exam is Tuesday at 4PM, so I need help ASAP! Also, where do I go to fill out/submit the exam deferral form?

Thank you so much in advance to everyone!
Old 12-15-2013 at 09:51 PM   #2
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Hey Alicia,

Sorry to hear about your week. Sounds like your parents could have exercised better judgment regarding the timing of this news :S

Unfortunately, my understanding is that anything short of a death in the family will not warrant a deferral. If you're really, really in a low place emotionally, a doctor may be willing to write you a note for mental health reasons, but you should not count on this.

You still have time to study, and that's what I'd suggest doing. Life sucks sometimes, but unfortunately the world doesn't stop. Studying may even be a good way to take your mind off things (take it from someone who has experienced more than their share of family problems during high school and university), and you will feel better if you don't have this exam hanging over your head. One mark that's a bit lower than usual isn't the end of the world.

You may benefit from seeking some counseling at CSD (or whatever it's called these days).

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

MaraudeRower says thanks to Kudos for this post.
Old 12-15-2013 at 09:57 PM   #3
MaraudeRower

Hey Kudos, thank you for the quick response! I totally understand what you're saying; everyone has to deal with unfortunate circumstances at times, but from what I've heard they are generally quite lenient when it comes to exam deferrals (especially if it's your first one), I've heard about people getting their exams deferred because they slept through it.

Is that true, or is it truly only for medical emergencies/deaths in the family?
Old 12-15-2013 at 10:01 PM   #4
Strategy

Liked: 46 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaraudeRower View Post
Hey Kudos, thank you for the quick response! I totally understand what you're saying; everyone has to deal with unfortunate circumstances at times, but from what I've heard they are generally quite lenient when it comes to exam deferrals (especially if it's your first one), I've heard about people getting their exams deferred because they slept through it.

Is that true, or is it truly only for medical emergencies/deaths in the family?
I disagree with the above poster. Your reason sounds just as good as a medical illness in terms of getting a deferral. It's probably even worse - a divorce versus the flu... come on...

I would definitely ask for the deferral. I don't think you will have a problem.

Ponyo likes this.
Old 12-15-2013 at 10:16 PM   #5
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Alicia, I am sorry to hear of distressful times in your family especially given the circumstances.

Just "Wake up late" for your exam.

This is your one free pass.

Use it.

Do not try to use your circumstance. In some (most cases) they will let something like this slide for the first time. But let me tell you from EXPERIENCE, that McMaster has very controversial definitions of extenuating circumstances and that I nearly failed a course due to this (Huge crash on Ford Drive, McMaster doesn't see traffic as extenuating).
Old 12-15-2013 at 10:18 PM   #6
MaraudeRower

Thanks for the responses guys, I really appreciate the feedback. Only problem is, my exam is at 4PM, sleeping through it seems... highly unlikely, lol
Old 12-15-2013 at 10:22 PM   #7
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Quote:
Thanks for the responses guys, I really appreciate the feedback. Only problem is, my exam is at 4PM, sleeping through it seems... highly unlikely, lol
Parents were arguing late into the night sounds good.
Old 12-15-2013 at 10:29 PM   #8
Kudos
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strategy View Post
I disagree with the above poster. Your reason sounds just as good as a medical illness in terms of getting a deferral. It's probably even worse - a divorce versus the flu... come on...

I would definitely ask for the deferral. I don't think you will have a problem.
I think the difference is that a death or medical issue is verifiable, whereas other personal problems aren't.

I've dealt with several divorces between my parents, so please don't think me unsympathetic. I agree with ZSimon though, rumour has it everybody does get a freebie. You could say you were up all not studying, passed out and slept through it. Although I knew somebody who did this and they rewrote at a later date during the exam period so this method may not buy you as much time as you want.
Old 12-15-2013 at 10:39 PM   #9
MaraudeRower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
I think the difference is that a death or medical issue is verifiable, whereas other personal problems aren't.
Very valid point. Should I just go the doctor's note option, then? I'm quite convincing at faking sick, and probably won't even need to in this case. I haven't slept in 2 days and am shaking, hands are cold, lightheaded, etc.
Old 12-15-2013 at 10:41 PM   #10
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Also, from personal experience, parents informing you about the divorce around December tends to mean that one/both parents moving soon follows, but it takes 1-2 months at least to get things in order. Obviously this is highly situation dependent, but in my experience it's much harder to focus and do work during move-out time because everyone is stressed and yelling and whatnot, and then there's custody issues...so you should really consider if having the exam in reading week will do you any good, or if the situation might be even less conducive to studying.

If you do decide to defer, I'd recommend trying to get a doctor's note on mental health grounds or something, but if that doesn't work out, try for the freebie.
Old 12-15-2013 at 10:41 PM   #11
MaraudeRower

I just really want to determine a course of action that is as foolproof as possible. I am SO stressed about this and my family issues, I can't focus on anything.
Old 12-15-2013 at 10:42 PM   #12
Kudos
Elite Member

Quote:
Very valid point. Should I just go the doctor's note option, then? I'm quite convincing at faking sick, and probably won't even need to in this case. I haven't slept in 2 days and am shaking, hands are cold, lightheaded, etc.
Go with that. Like you said, it probably wouldn't even really be faking at this point.
Old 12-15-2013 at 10:44 PM   #13
MaraudeRower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
Go with that. Like you said, it probably wouldn't even really be faking at this point.
Thank you (and everyone else!) for your input!

Now, where do I go from here? I live at home (how wonderful, right now) and have a car, so I have access to multiple walk-in clinics, etc. I know there's some sort of McMaster Illness form I have to fill out, where can I find it? If someone could provide the link, that would be great.

Do I bring the form to the registrar's office?
Old 12-15-2013 at 10:46 PM   #14
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

For questions like this you are going to find different answers from different people because of how long ppl have been here. McMaster seems to completely revise its MSAF and Exam Deferral policies every 2 years or so. (for the most part making them much more lenient)

Point being: unless you actually have a doctor's note or obituary there is no guarantee. Just a really good possibility (in the case of the freebie for example).
Old 12-15-2013 at 10:51 PM   #15
MaraudeRower

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty91 View Post
For questions like this you are going to find different answers from different people because of how long ppl have been here. McMaster seems to completely revise its MSAF and Exam Deferral policies every 2 years or so. (for the most part making them much more lenient)

Point being: unless you actually have a doctor's note or obituary there is no guarantee. Just a really good possibility (in the case of the freebie for example).
I can obtain a doctor's note, though, and it's generally not too difficult to cite some vague symptoms (vomiting, lightheadedness, etc.)

Or should I just be honest and hope they take pity on me?

I suppose I've condensed it to 4 options:

1) Fake "actual sick" (like vomiting, flu-like symptoms, etc.), obtain doctor's note, have them fill out the illness form, etc.

2) Tell the registrar personally about my family issues (or outline the family problems on the deferral request form) and hope they're understanding

3) Get a doctor to fill out an illness form/provide me with a doctor's note on the grounds of "mental health" (which is somewhat legitimate at this point), and proceed with deferral process

4) Try and cash in my "freebie"; say I slept in, etc.

Which do you guys think is the safest option?