MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Urgent Help Please!!!! sierrawin Academics 3 06-28-2013 03:54 PM
Urgent - Please help Kinder First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 05-07-2013 12:47 PM
Checked your exam times? Final Exam Schedule April 2013 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-25-2013 12:30 PM
Urgent Help! JamesMonroe First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 06-27-2011 01:13 AM

Need Info About Exam Deferrals, Urgent! Please Help :(

Old 12-15-2013 at 11:04 PM   #16
onedayy

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaraudeRower View Post
I can obtain a doctor's note, though, and it's generally not too difficult to cite some vague symptoms (vomiting, lightheadedness, etc.)

Or should I just be honest and hope they take pity on me?

I suppose I've condensed it to 4 options:

1) Fake "actual sick" (like vomiting, flu-like symptoms, etc.), obtain doctor's note, have them fill out the illness form, etc.

2) Tell the registrar personally about my family issues (or outline the family problems on the deferral request form) and hope they're understanding

3) Get a doctor to fill out an illness form/provide me with a doctor's note on the grounds of "mental health" (which is somewhat legitimate at this point), and proceed with deferral process

4) Try and cash in my "freebie"; say I slept in, etc.

Which do you guys think is the safest option?
Option 1 is the easiest, fastest, safest, and the least stressful way, although i wouldnt recommend this on a public forum (cough)
Old 12-15-2013 at 11:06 PM   #17
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

Go with a combo of the mental and physical health.

Tell them it's been an incredibly stressful, turbulent time for you and you've been sick over it. Use migraine type symptoms... head throbbing, nausea, vomiting. Tell them you can't sleep and have no appetite and there's no way you can sit for an exam.
Old 12-15-2013 at 11:11 PM   #18
MaraudeRower

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudos View Post
Go with a combo of the mental and physical health.

Tell them it's been an incredibly stressful, turbulent time for you and you've been sick over it. Use migraine type symptoms... head throbbing, nausea, vomiting. Tell them you can't sleep and have no appetite and there's no way you can sit for an exam.
Good idea! Do you know where I should go to obtain the note/illness form? Sorry for all of the questions, just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction
Old 12-16-2013 at 12:11 AM   #19
onedayy

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaraudeRower View Post
Good idea! Do you know where I should go to obtain the note/illness form? Sorry for all of the questions, just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction
Walk-in clinics are everywhere!
But just to be safe, I always went to the one on campus (basement of student center).
There's also the benefit of getting the note for free if you go to the campus clinic.
If you make an appointment today, you should be able to see a doctor tomorrow for sure.

Don't feel guilty when you see a doctor -- so many people defer exams just because they sleep in. Compared to those people, I think you have a very valid reason to defer your exam.
Old 12-16-2013 at 09:08 AM   #20
jaywa
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 9 Times

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /forms/MedicalForm.pdf
Old 12-16-2013 at 09:24 AM   #21
jaywa
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 9 Times

Oh and you bring the completed form to the associate dean's office, not the registrar. What faculty are you in?

Also you have 5 business days after the exam to bring the form in, so if for some reason it doesn't get sorted out before your exam don't stress.

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /scheduling/deferred.html