MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SFWR ENG 3X03 / COMP SCI 4MN3 - Scientific Computation and Mathematical Simulation Ownaginatios 3rd Year Course Reviews 5 03-14-2014 02:06 AM
Men > Women (New Scientific Evidence) Rakim General Discussion 31 10-04-2010 07:30 PM

I need a scientific poster I made in PPT printed

Old 04-04-2014 at 09:43 AM   #1
butterscotch

Liked: 4 Times

I need a scientific poster I made in PPT printed
I need a scientific poster I made in PPT printed . all the estimates I am getting are very high. I just need the most basic format in color. It does not have photographs or anything . any recommendations ?

it needs to be 46 inches WIDE and 65 inches HIGH
Old 04-04-2014 at 10:08 AM   #2
Nishan Anand

Liked: 6 Times

Your best bet is to ask someone at the Underground media center

https://www.msumcmaster.ca/services-...d-media-design
Old 04-04-2014 at 10:14 AM   #3
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Probably cost you between 65-100$. UPS (westdale), underground, and staples all do it
Old 04-04-2014 at 11:39 AM   #4
oldviking

Liked: 18 Times

I believe the wide-paper-roll printer at most Staples stores goes to 24 inches wide. (That's approx. 60 cm in standard measurement.) Length can be whatever you need from the roll, or whatever size of image the computer equipment can process. I don't know about having something wider done. It might be special order.
Old 04-04-2014 at 12:13 PM   #5
JayJackson69
Account Locked

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishan Anand View Post
Your best bet is to ask someone at the Underground media center

https://www.msumcmaster.ca/services-...d-media-design
No its not. Go to staples on the mountain and they can have it ready for you in like an hour or so. Nice and quick. i believe it costs around $60-$70
Old 04-04-2014 at 02:51 PM   #6
Brendan

Liked: 13 Times

I work at Staples and the cost for posters over 20 square feet is $4.49 per square foot. In your case (46x65/144=20.76 square feet), the price would be 21x4.49=$94.29 (Staples rounds the square feet to the nearest whole number). I'm not sure about other stores, but the store at which I work couldn't print a poster that big. It would have to be sent out to be produced (which would take a day or two).

There are regular promotions on posters so check the flyer every week (ex. last week 24x36 posters were on sale).

Last edited by Brendan : 04-04-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-04-2014 at 03:08 PM   #7
Mz.Morra13

Liked: 26 Times

The nursing students used Allegra Printing in Hamilton for their Capstone project
Old 04-05-2014 at 11:56 AM   #8
HILLyBilly
Account Locked

You have to recognize first that what you want require specialize equipment and materials. As such, this service will have an increase cost.

Deal with it.

I have had good experience with Allegra Printing, staff are helpful, Avoid places like Staples and try to support the smaller local business like Allegra, Undergrounds etc.
Old 04-05-2014 at 06:52 PM   #9
butterscotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
I work at Staples and the cost for posters over 20 square feet is $4.49 per square foot. In your case (46x65/144=20.76 square feet), the price would be 21x4.49=$94.29 (Staples rounds the square feet to the nearest whole number). I'm not sure about other stores, but the store at which I work couldn't print a poster that big. It would have to be sent out to be produced (which would take a day or two).

There are regular promotions on posters so check the flyer every week (ex. last week 24x36 posters were on sale).

what location do you work at ? the biggest staples in brantford does is 24 x 36 inches. they said they send anything bigger to London.

I actually realize that I am going to go with a smaller size but I am not sure if I want to go with 24 x 36. it is supposed to be visible from 6 feet

staples in brantford was not sure what staples in Ancaster does compared to them, but i am not sure why the brantford location sends to London.
Old 04-05-2014 at 06:57 PM   #10
butterscotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mz.Morra13 View Post
The nursing students used Allegra Printing in Hamilton for their Capstone project

what size was yours and how much did you pay at the time ? what is a Capstone Project in the context of the BScN program ?

what i am asking about presently is a project for 4NR3 which is part of the regular BScN program.

is a Capstone Project something i will need to do in the regular BScN program ?

i am in 4NR3, however, i am level 3 BScN. will I have to do a Capstone Project in level 4 ? does it require a poster and what is the size ?
Old 04-05-2014 at 07:30 PM   #11
Brendan

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterscotch View Post
what location do you work at ? the biggest staples in brantford does is 24 x 36 inches. they said they send anything bigger to London.

I actually realize that I am going to go with a smaller size but I am not sure if I want to go with 24 x 36. it is supposed to be visible from 6 feet

staples in brantford was not sure what staples in Ancaster does compared to them, but i am not sure why the brantford location sends to London.
I work at the Staples location in Hannon (on Rymal Road East). My location's wide-format printer can print posters up to 24x36 in-store.

I cannot say for certain whether or not your 24x36 poster will be visible from 6 feet away as I do not know how much text/images will be on it. But generally speaking, 24x36 posters are big enough for most people.

It turns out that the 24x36 poster promotion is on until April 8. It is for $20. You can also order posters online at http://www.staplescopyandpri nt.ca/...osterInfo.aspx.

When an order cannot be produced in-store, it is sent to an off-site production facility. For example, my location sends these orders to Mississauga. I guess locations in Brantford send their orders to London.

butterscotch says thanks to Brendan for this post.
Old 04-05-2014 at 10:56 PM   #12
butterscotch

what about getting half printed on 1 poster and half on another ? do you think staples can cut my poster in half ? there is a point on the poster where there is a blank line runs across. do you think they could cut it there and then print one part on one poster and another part on another, and they could make it to scale ? bc that point on the poster is not exactly 50 percent so it would have to be to scale.

I was told maybe over the phone. she will have to see using the software, and that the software works best with a PDF. (I can convert the ppt to a pdf easily )
Old 04-06-2014 at 09:36 AM   #13
Brendan

Quote:
what about getting half printed on 1 poster and half on another ? do you think staples can cut my poster in half ? there is a point on the poster where there is a blank line runs across. do you think they could cut it there and then print one part on one poster and another part on another, and they could make it to scale ? bc that point on the poster is not exactly 50 percent so it would have to be to scale.

I was told maybe over the phone. she will have to see using the software, and that the software works best with a PDF. (I can convert the ppt to a pdf easily )
That is possible but the posters would have to be resized to keep them to scale. Neither of the posters would be completely full so the edges would need to be cut off (which could be done in-store and would be included in the price of the posters). However, a $15 design fee would be charged for the resizing. Also, you would be shown a computer simulation before the posters are printed and would then need to sign a waiver.

That being said, I don't recommend this. The crease between the posters wouldn't look good and the final product would not be the equivalent of two 24x36 posters (as they would have to be resized). If you are willing to get a smaller poster, the price per square foot for posters under 20 square feet is $5.99.

Think about it this way: if you get two 24x36 posters, the price including the design fee would be: 20+20+15=$55 and the square feet you should be getting is: 2(24x36/144)=12. However, if your poster's length and width have to be resized to, say, 90% of its original size, you only end up getting: 2([0.9x24][0.9x36]/144)=9.72 square feet. If you were to buy a single poster (not in two parts) that was 9.72 square feet, the price would be: 9.72x5.99=$58.22. That means by paying an additional $3.22, you get to have your poster printed on one sheet.

Last edited by Brendan : 04-06-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-06-2014 at 11:17 PM   #14
butterscotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
That is possible but the posters would have to be resized to keep them to scale. Neither of the posters would be completely full so the edges would need to be cut off (which could be done in-store and would be included in the price of the posters). However, a $15 design fee would be charged for the resizing. Also, you would be shown a computer simulation before the posters are printed and would then need to sign a waiver.

That being said, I don't recommend this. The crease between the posters wouldn't look good and the final product would not be the equivalent of two 24x36 posters (as they would have to be resized). If you are willing to get a smaller poster, the price per square foot for posters under 20 square feet is $5.99.

Think about it this way: if you get two 24x36 posters, the price including the design fee would be: 20+20+15=$55 and the square feet you should be getting is: 2(24x36/144)=12. However, if your poster's length and width have to be resized to, say, 90% of its original size, you only end up getting: 2([0.9x24][0.9x36]/144)=9.72 square feet. If you were to buy a single poster (not in two parts) that was 9.72 square feet, the price would be: 9.72x5.99=$58.22. That means by paying an additional $3.22, you get to have your poster printed on one sheet.
well its almost as big as nine 8.5 x 11 pieces of paper (squared ) so its pretty big . i was looking at my print out and then i laid out 3 pieces of 8.5 x 11 and was looking at mt 8.5 x 11 and print out and figured it would be big enough. the font will be a minimum of 24 calibri in some spots. i have covered all contingencies in terms of formats before i got to staples .

i have a ppt that is actually designed to that size. a pdf and a jpeg. so i hope i won't get charged any art fee at staples

some other girl at a small business was saying my ppt printed out to 8.5 x 11 so she had to charge me an art fee. meanwhile at home if i print my ppt it does not even print as a 8.5 x 11 it comes out as a to scale piece of the poster on 8.5 x 11 (so that girl was either dumb or full of crap)

but my jpeg and pdf is not designed to print as an 8.5 x 11 and she told me pdf is best for the staples software
Old 04-07-2014 at 08:08 AM   #15
Brendan

Quote:
well its almost as big as nine 8.5 x 11 pieces of paper (squared ) so its pretty big . i was looking at my print out and then i laid out 3 pieces of 8.5 x 11 and was looking at mt 8.5 x 11 and print out and figured it would be big enough. the font will be a minimum of 24 calibri in some spots. i have covered all contingencies in terms of formats before i got to staples .

i have a ppt that is actually designed to that size. a pdf and a jpeg. so i hope i won't get charged any art fee at staples

some other girl at a small business was saying my ppt printed out to 8.5 x 11 so she had to charge me an art fee. meanwhile at home if i print my ppt it does not even print as a 8.5 x 11 it comes out as a to scale piece of the poster on 8.5 x 11 (so that girl was either dumb or full of crap)

but my jpeg and pdf is not designed to print as an 8.5 x 11 and she told me pdf is best for the staples software
I wonder why they would charge you a design fee for simply making your image bigger. I do that all the time and have never charged anyone an extra fee. Small work like that should be covered by the Total Document Service fee ($3 for express, $2 for standard) that is charged to every order. I only charge extra fees when I'm asked to do something complicated/takes more than a few minutes to do (ex. resize a poster so that it prints on two posters).

Regardless, submitting your order as a PDF is best. It is much easier to manipulate that format and import it into the design software.