MacInsiders Logo

need some HEEELp?:(

Old 05-04-2008 at 09:15 PM   #1
soroush122

Liked: 0 Times

need some HEEELp?:(
Hey Guys , I got an offer of admission from Mac about 3 or 2 weeks ago in Engineering ( + 2000 $ Entrance) , also I got an offer from U of T for its General Engineering and Computer Engineering. The point is that, I can't make up my mind and choose one :confuse d02: . I live in toronto and I'm here about 6 month( I come from Iran). I visited Mac campus once and I loved it way more than U of T, but if I stay in toronto , I don't have to pay for Residency and be worry about foods and these things, On the other hand I wont be able to make many friends and enjoy being with other students in residence. The reputation is another factor and concern for me. I'll go to Mac 10 may tour and then decide ( one more thing, if I get into Mac's Engineering and then wanna switch to kinesiology or anything that can be helpful for Dentistry , is it applicable? ) THANKSSSS
Old 05-04-2008 at 09:34 PM   #2
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 135 Times

I too was at one point torn between mac's and U of T's engineering.

Eventually i chose mac because Ive heard alot of bad things about student life at U of T. I know people that lived in res there, and they said that the atmoshpere is very competitve and cutthroat. Appahently, its easy to get dissenchanted with your education at U of T because its such a massive school and they dont do alot to engage students in university spirit.

I'd imagine it would be even worse if your a commuting student.

However, Ive also heard from people that U of T has a fine student atmosphere, its just that because its so huge its alot harder to get involved in the school community.

I, for one, am not the most outgoing person in the world so I wanted to go to a university where it wouldn't be very hard to get involved in fun kind of stuff, and from what Ive heard about Mac engineering, it is deffinately the best place with regards to having fun and being involved.

Of course, U of T has bit of a better reputation for engineering (UofT and Waterloo are probably the best in Ontario), but McMaster certainly doesn't fall too far behind. When it comes to undergrad studies, reputation doesn't make a huge difference anyways since engineering is pretty well standerdised within all accredited programs.

Can't say for sure if any engineering will help with denistry, but Mac does have a couple of engineering programs with a biomedical option...you might want to look into it.

Hope that helped
Old 05-04-2008 at 11:02 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

As I said in another post, you can take dentistry pre-requisites as your elective courses, as long as you meet the pre-reqs for those courses.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-05-2008 at 01:21 AM   #4
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Consider the $2000 entrance scholarship as payment to help for the costs of residence